Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

It's worth correcting as you've got brand new batteries. As it stands, anything with large inrush current (particularly motorised loads or inverters) will tend to pull the top battery down more than the others. Once the load is off, the voltage will level out across the batteries, but the repeated demand on the top battery will wear it out faster than the others. When one battery dies, it pulls the overall voltage down, killing the others by excess sulphation.

I can't see how much slack there is on the earth lead, but if you're really lucky, there might be enough to flip the lead assembly 180 degrees without the need to modify.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Grif if you leave them connected like that you will wear out the first battery as the others wont be fully worked. I guess the person that took your old battery's away has got himself two or three batteries with a couple of years life still in them. best rewire as below for all battery's to work in harmony and fail together. John

img004.jpg

• Like 1

Yes he will have and I hope they give him years of service

Having three batteries in each bank I’m going for option one of your two diagrams  I’m going to have to get hold of two longer lengths of multi strand ground cable. I’m on it. Tks

Griff

• Like 1

Hi Grif if you leave them connected like that you will wear out the first battery as the others wont be fully worked. I guess the person that took your old battery's away has got himself two or three batteries with a couple of years life still in them. best rewire as below for all battery's to work in harmony and fail together. John

• Like 1

Hi Grif While you are changing the leads it would be a good idea to change the terminal connectors for the ones with a vertical stud these dont stress the posts unlike the ones you have, plus its easer to disconnect the individual batteries for when the boat is laid up unless you have soler or shore power to run a battery maintainer, this also help to extend the life of a battery. John

• Like 1

This isn't that straight forward,  can't order gear without visiting onboard to take some measurements

I'm not sure if our pos and neg battery posts are the same size and need to know which size too even if they are the same

To change over to vertical studs I will need new multi strand cable throughout as all ours have soldered ends to comply with the BSS where the cables are clamped onto the battery.  To change the ground cable over to the opposite end of the battery run will need a longer length of cable too for both banks and I don't know how long

New pos and neg cable throughout plus longer ground cables - £80:00 - ish

12 x vertical studs - £40:00

26 x ring crimp cable lugs - £52:00

Plus I need to borrow a crimping tool for the cable lugs

I had intended to sort this lot next visit but I need to get down there and take some measurements.  That means two round trips = 640 miles

B O A T  =  Bung On Another Thousand    (Yet another one)

Griff

• Like 3

I'd keep them as they are, you can still isolate one battery if needed and keep the rest connected as they are, if it ain't broke and all that.

Pos and neg posts should be slightly different sizes.

• Like 1

It might not be broke, but it also isn't optimal. Over time the first battery will wear quicker and shorten the life of the others and normally by the time you realise, it's too late. Having just replaced the batteries, now seems like the best time to take action to protect your investment.

It's worth bearing in mind Vehicle Wiring Products when sourcing parts. They also supply pre crimped battery leads in various sizes and this might be easier than crimping your own.

Pre Made Battery Cables

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Meantime said:

It might not be broke, but it also isn't optimal.

Sorry I should made clear I was referring to the battery clamps in my last post, yes I would run the negative lead to the other end of the bank but wouldn't worry about changing all the clamps.

If it's any help I have a hydraulic crimper that could be borrowed but I'm not about this weekend.

• Like 1

While it is desirable to optimise the battery connections, its not urgent, a few months are not going to matter, so treat it as a desirable  maintenance item to be dealt with next time you are aboard, if needs I have crimper and battery lugs, actually on board.

• Like 1

Hi Grif the pos terminals are a larger dia than the neg ones, the crimp! lugs come in different dia to suit the cable dia and dont need a crimper they are designed for soldering, this makes a neat and corrosion proof joint with max conductivity. John PS dont forget the Vaseline/battery grease

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

This isn't that straight forward,  can't order gear without visiting onboard to take some measurements

I'm not sure if our pos and neg battery posts are the same size and need to know which size too even if they are the same

To change over to vertical studs I will need new multi strand cable throughout as all ours have soldered ends to comply with the BSS where the cables are clamped onto the battery.  To change the ground cable over to the opposite end of the battery run will need a longer length of cable too for both banks and I don't know how long

New pos and neg cable throughout plus longer ground cables - £80:00 - ish

26 x ring crimp cable lugs - £52:00

I had intended to sort this lot next visit but I need to get down there and take some measurements.  That means two round trips = 640 miles

B O A T  =  Bung On Another Thousand    (Yet another one)

Griff

Don't we just know it, new domestic water pump and a new water pump for the generator this week. They say things come in threes, the shower pump at home gave up the ghost on Monday...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff, i bought 6 battery clamps (3 +ve & 3 -ve) for Karizma when I was doing the electrical upgrades that are no longer needed, as I went with Victron batteries in the end that have different connections.

You can have these foc if they are any good for you? you could pick them up if you're close to Worksop when you're out and about in the area?. Or I could post them to you?

I also have a crimping tool (same as Smoggy's) if you want to borrow that.................

Steve

batt clamps.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ahh yes, but here's my gadget and I bet I use mine more than you use yours.20240426_114242.thumb.jpg.794a7212eb00ea04e110af1a7b362d7e.jpg

Is that a tool for extracting decent jokes from a Yorkshire man?

You'll need a bigger one!

• Haha 3

Stuff it then.

Going to visit a client locally for an estimate in ten minutes then straight on my way via fuelling Trevor Transit - Norfolk (Stalham) bound

Measure up / take notes

Quick coffee,

Drive back home

What's 320 mile between friends on a Friday?

Gotta get back tonight as a stack of stuff to do tomorrow here at home / daughters

Queen - 'Under Pressure'

Griff

PS - Thanks for the offers of gratis / loan gear too

• Like 2

Too much going on in your head Griff. I see the signs - when I start forgetting stuff to take, it’s time for a few deep breaths and a head declutter!

Safe journey home again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve forgotten the boat keys before now, luckily that was when the syndicate was still were managed by a company that had a local agent who lent us his keys.

Another MS syndicate owner recently owned up to forgetting the keys, fortunately they don’t have such a long journey from home to MS. In response, other members offered up the info that they actually store the boat keys in their car so that they can’t inadvertently forget them…that sounds like a very good idea!

• Like 1