Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

Heyup Y'all,

A big thanks for the advice freely given ref batteries / charging / diagnosing  etc.  There's some really good stuff posted on this thread since Thursday last.  I would offer that it be copied and posted in the Boat technical section as part of a ready reference on the subject. I'm especially grateful to Meantime in explaining that the exact same symptoms had happened to him thus confirming we have diagnosed correctly.

A forumite has kindly offered to take the 'Current' complement of batteries off our hands as he can make use of them.  The new set of six should be with me in a few days ready for me to take down on the 19th this month

Griff

• Like 1

A (Small) game changer

It was whilst I was onboard Dungraftin that I got to use their Karcher window vac, I was impressed at how quickly and efficiently it removed condensation in the mornings.

So, as a result of advice from the owner (Alison) about there being smaller ones out there on-line I got the fingers on t keyboard.  There is indeed a large selection, I wanted a smaller one better suited to 'B.A's windows and occasionally the inside of the wheelhouse canopy.  Ta-dah - Success

So, no more spending a fair amount of time wiping down, wring out microfibre cloths followed up with paper towelling.  This will do it in minutes, that means more time cruising / fishing / imbibing etc

Well Chuffed and looking forward to trying it out

Griff

BANBN1335.thumb.jpg.db2e5369cb38f3caa012673ac79ee4ea.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

.  I would offer that it be copied and posted in the Boat technical section as part of a ready reference on the subject.

while I could split the posts out of this thread I dont see a way to copy them, i will continue looking

• Like 1

Can I ask Anvllle a question in the diagram he showed my set up is the same as the first that says it's OK for most situations and so far very good charging from alternator through an Argofett. 

My sure power comes through a Victron 3 port 30amp charger only 2 ports used connected to the same terminals as the Argofett,  should I connect the domestic shore power charger to the middle of the bank of 3 or leave it as it is?

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

A (Small) game changer

It was whilst I was onboard Dungraftin that I got to use their Karcher window vac, I was impressed at how quickly and efficiently it removed condensation in the mornings.

So, as a result of advice from the owner (Alison) about there being smaller ones out there on-line I got the fingers on t keyboard.  There is indeed a large selection, I wanted a smaller one better suited to 'B.A's windows and occasionally the inside of the wheelhouse canopy.  Ta-dah - Success

So, no more spending a fair amount of time wiping down, wring out microfibre cloths followed up with paper towelling.  This will do it in minutes, that means more time cruising / fishing / imbibing etc

Well Chuffed and looking forward to trying it out

Griff

BANBN1335.thumb.jpg.db2e5369cb38f3caa012673ac79ee4ea.jpg

Cor blimey, "since 1923". Yep, I can remember (early sixties not 1923!) the Kleenze man banging on the front door and standing there with his suitcase and usually something like a long handled brush in his hand, while my mum told him to clear off, poor bloke.

• Like 2

I still use a Kleeneze broom in Rene's garden that she bought shortly after moving to Leigh-on-Sea in 1955. And it's not one of Triggers originals - only had three new handles and five new heads! This is original. Made things properly in those days. Oops, thread wander, sorry Griff!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Following recommendations on here a few months back, I bought a Wessex window vac from Toolstation.

They are certainly great for clearing the condensation from windscreens and windows, much better than a sponge or rag.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Cor blimey, "since 1923". Yep, I can remember (early sixties not 1923!) the Kleenze man banging on the front door and standing there with his suitcase and usually something like a long handled brush in his hand, while my mum told him to clear off, poor bloke.

Yep.  Witnessed my mum doing the same.  The equivalent job today must be sitting making cold calls, trying to get folk interested in having solar panels or spray foam loft insulation!  I guess I average receiving about five calls a week!

• Like 1

One tip with most brands of window vac - try and keep them upright in use. If you invert them, water tends to make its way into places it shouldn't be, eventually resulting in premature failure. Not sure why it's so difficult to waterproof them properly, but they all seem to suffer the same issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

spray foam loft insulation!

Never have this stuff installed, it should be banned. My son has to refuse a mortgage on most properties he surveys that has it.

I have seen it cause failure of a roof.

Sorry for the thread drift 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dom said:

One tip with most brands of window vac - try and keep them upright in use. If you invert them, water tends to make its way into places it shouldn't be, eventually resulting in premature failure. Not sure why it's so difficult to waterproof them properly, but they all seem to suffer the same issue.

Which is why we spent a bit more and bought a Karcher Professional window vac.  According to the blurb, it can be used at any angle, even upside down and it actually works.  No leakage, even used upside down.  I just checked and they are still available, but the price has escalated dramatically since we bought ours.  No real surprise, I suppose, given how much everything else seems to have gone up!

55 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Never have this stuff installed, it should be banned. My son has to refuse a mortgage on most properties he surveys that has it.

I have seen it cause failure of a roof.

I’ve seen a few programmes on TV covering the stuff.  I can’t believe how much it’s being pushed, but saving money on heating by insulating your home seems to be at the forefront of some folk’s thinking and they get sucked into buying it.  I like answering the phone and putting it down, whilst they blather on, then block the number!

As Mark said, sorry for the thread drift!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Which is why we spent a bit more and bought a Karcher Professional window vac.  According to the blurb, it can be used at any angle, even upside down and it actually works.  No leakage, even used upside down. 

I did the same with the WV1, but still had similar issues. Not sure if the more expensive WV6 is better developed.

Interesting comment direct from Karcher:

If using the vac in another position than vertical the device has to be put in vertical position in between so that the water can flow into the tank. Ensure that the water tank is completely empty prior to using horizontally.

• Like 2

That's six new leisure 130amph batteries ordered, slightly larger dimensions (We think they'll fit the boxes) £468:18 / £78:03 with a four year guarantee, free delivery, (Ebay) they should be with me tomorrow ready for transporting down next weekend

Griff

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Back on the window vacs, I made up a lead to charge my karcher from a USB socket,  no point taking 12v upto 240v to drop it back down again losing heat energy each way, it works fine.

Can you show us how please  maybe a wiring picture 

Is the plug into the catcher the same as a PC lead ?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

Can you show us how please  maybe a wiring picture 

Is the plug into the catcher the same as a PC lead ?

I got a spare charger off fleabay and chopped the lead off after checking polarity with a multimeter then just grafted an old usb lead just using the power wires by soldering and heatshrinking, usb gives 5V, I think the karcher is 3.7V from memory but it has the voltage control built in so no problem.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dom said:

If you invert them, water tends to make its way into places it shouldn't be, eventually resulting in premature failure. Not sure why it's so difficult to waterproof them properly, but they all seem to suffer the same issue.

Been there, done that when using ours on Supreme Light last year! Ended up with a face full of water that was discharged out the cooling vents at the back of the machine! It does the same if you go past the fill mark on the tank as well. It's also great for sucking up the morning moisture from the rear back rests on the upper helm if you've got a dual helm boat and forget to take them off at night!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Been there, done that when using ours on Supreme Light last year! Ended up with a face full of water 

Have you a pic of this? I won't laugh or anything :default_biggrin:

Grace x

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Out wi t'old 110 amph 'Travelbatt' batteries and and in wi t new 'Snappy' 130amph jobbies

Couldn't test out the new small window vac as - sodding typical there was no condensation Saturday or Sunday morning, but the good news is that the blade is small enough (just) to fit between the canopy ribs, so best guess paid off for once

Griff

BA NBN 1337.jpg

BA NBN 1338.jpg

BA NBN 1339.jpg

BA NBN 1340.jpg

BA NBN 1341.jpg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

BA NBN 1341.jpg

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like your battery connections are not completely optimal (which might result in one battery failing sooner). Annv's post a while back had a diagram showing the best way to connect. Judging by the image, it looks like the earth take-off wants to move to the opposite end of the bank.

• Like 3