Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

7 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Just a little hint for other members if you haven't got a hot knife like in Griff's photo :

The best way to cut polypropylene rope is with a junior hacksaw.  It is also the best way to get the rope off a propeller!  I always have one on board.

And with a tight wrap of insulation tape first if using the rope, cut in the middle of the tape and it won't fray back as you do it, if just clearing a prop you won't care.

But avoid polypropylene rope it's hideous,  but does float so good for keeping out of props and lifebuoys/throwing lines.

• Like 3

That's all the fender lanyards completed and handed over to Bro' ready for fitting.

We have ordered a new 'Rip Proof' (He says optimistically) lightweight tarpaulin for above 'B.A' in the wetshed.  50 x 11ft with eyelets fitted.

Need to protect that new paint job along with the recently varnished new teak dressing strips etc.  We will be fitting it mid Aug, no doubt I'll be the one up the ladder with a crew member footing it off 'B.A's roofs, safe but always feel precarious.

We have elected to fasten the thing up with tie wraps,  They need to be strong and long enough to go round the metal trusses.  Look at these beauties 700mm in length - they will do nicely

Griff

BA NBN 1299.jpg

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

That's all the fender lanyards completed and handed over to Bro' ready for fitting.

We have ordered a new 'Rip Proof' (He says optimistically) lightweight tarpaulin for above 'B.A' in the wetshed.  50 x 11ft with eyelets fitted.

Need to protect that new paint job along with the recently varnished new teak dressing strips etc.  We will be fitting it mid Aug, no doubt I'll be the one up the ladder with a crew member footing it off 'B.A's roofs, safe but always feel precarious.

We have elected to fasten the thing up with tie wraps,  They need to be strong and long enough to go round the metal trusses.  Look at these beauties 700mm in length - they will do nicely

Griff

BA NBN 1299.jpg

Griff

BA NBN 1299.jpg

Won’t the cooker be a little heavy!! For the tarpaulin 😂

• Haha 1

A cunning plan. We’ve had tarps up before but due to our proximity to the river opening high winds eventually rip them. Not this one we hope. They catch drips, rust particles but more importantly stop our feathered friends roosting above us and depositing calling cards. We rig em in such a way that we don’t spoil our neighbours craft

Griff

You would but there isn't any

You would also expect the roof not to leak - But it does.  During our roof painting it cost us an extra £150:00 plus some man hours of mine on top

Calling cards - Yes they can be damaging

We are on it once again though, a little self help never hurt anyone

Griff

• Like 1

You would understand correct.  My BSA Airsporter is an excellent Repeller too.  Problem there is, it's only good for stationary targets (Scope fitted) whereas any one of my shotguns would be preferable for targets in flight but then there really would be holes a plenty in the wetshed roof at that range with even the lightest load

Griff

• Haha 1

... whereas any one of my shotguns would be preferable for targets in flight but then there really would be holes a plenty in the wetshed roof...

Griff

It's true what they say about your aim then? :default_gbxhmm:

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday morning and Robin arrived onboard at 0800 Saturday morning

(Its amazing the type of folk you meet in Richo’s toilet block!)

Tarp fitting – Chris was simply – Ace.  He did all the up the ladder work, nimble, confident quick and efficient – We were proper grateful for his help

He also then just for good measure sorted out / rewired the tv amp aerial set up – Thanks Chris 

So – The tarp is up, crease free fastened on three edges.  Lets see how this one performs over time

Shoreside locker – We took nearly everything out of the three sections, sorted the lot out, ditched loads of surplus gear and then stowed the lot – MUCH better, we now have room to breath

Robin did some successful housework and software upgrades on our cctv system

The following items on the outstanding maintenance list are now completed too:-

TV Power amp, hardwire via fuse box

Upgrade 1 x Fire extinguisher

Loom / Tidy up cables under shelf

Fit tear resistant canopy to wetshed above our berth

Replace fender lanyards x 14 = 28 eye splices / whipping ends at home

Cut down Jack Powles staff by 2”

Till the next time then

Griff

BA NBN 1301.jpg

BA NBN 1302.jpg

BA NBN 1303.jpg

BA NBN 1304.jpg

BA NBN 1305.jpg

BA NBN 1306.jpg

BA NBN 1307.jpg

BA NBN 1308.jpg

BA NBN 1309.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Heaving Line.

Never had one onboard, we should have done so before now.  One would have been a help with a recent grounding of a craft on Breydon, especially seeing as the rangers on SOB didn't have one - Nor a loud hailer - Inexcusable imho

So I purchased 32m of 8mm soft nylon and got set to splicing a monkeys fist, first time I've made one up in over twenty six years so I was a bit rusty but it seems one never forgets.

Then it was off into my local park to see just how far I could heave the thing.  Again somewhat rusty but once I got the technique correct (Yes there is one, its not just a matter of simply chucking the thing) I was constantly hitting 20m / 60ft, that's a length and a half of 'B.A'  A thirty years younger and fitter Griff in his heyday would no doubt manage 25m / 75ft

So I'll cut off 5m taking it down to 25m, put a decent size eye splice in (The remaining 5m will come in handy for replacing fender lanyards as and when).   I dust sprayed the fist numerous times with orange fluorescent paint - this is for safety reasons so it can be seen easier both day and night time

I'll take it down to 'B.A' next visit where it'll be stowed onboard - Hopefully never to be used in anger

Griff

BA NBN 1310.jpg

BA NBN 1311.jpg

BA NBN 1312.jpg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Heaving Line.

Never had one onboard, we should have done so before now.  One would have been a help with a recent grounding of a craft on Breydon, especially seeing as the rangers on SOB didn't have one - Nor a loud hailer - Inexcusable imho

So I purchased 32m of 8mm soft nylon and got set to splicing a monkeys fist, first time I've made one up in over twenty six years so I was a bit rusty but it seems one never forgets.

Then it was off into my local park to see just how far I could heave the thing.  Again somewhat rusty but once I got the technique correct (Yes there is one, its not just a matter of simply chucking the thing) I was constantly hitting 20m / 60ft, that's a length and a half of 'B.A'  A thirty years younger and fitter Griff in his heyday would no doubt manage 25m / 75ft

So I'll cut off 5m taking it down to 25m, put a decent size eye splice in (The remaining 5m will come in handy for replacing fender lanyards as and when).   I dust sprayed the fist numerous times with orange fluorescent paint - this is for safety reasons so it can be seen easier both day and night time

I'll take it down to 'B.A' next visit where it'll be stowed onboard - Hopefully never to be used in anger

Griff

BA NBN 1310.jpg

BA NBN 1311.jpg

BA NBN 1312.jpg

New Competition for lads week eh Griff?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Starbrite 3:8Ltr non toxic anti freeze currently on offer at Nearest and Dearest - £20:99

Ready mixed protection down to -50c

This is the gear we use in 'B.A's Beta - Mainly for the non toxic properties. I've just placed an in-store collection order as I'll be carrying out a major engine service this week, part of which entails replacing the engine coolant

May come in useful for those of you that winterise 

Griff

• Thanks 2

Hi (OAT) antifreeze should only be used in newer engines ie Beta/Nanni  Vauxhall's long life concentrate lasts 5 years or 150,000 miles £13=50 a lt.( makes two Lts) All older engines should use (IAT type) antifreezes. Antifreeze is a lubricant and corrosion inhibiter as well as a antifreeze and shouldn't be mixed. You should also use Deionized water or Rain water when diluting to 50/50% for best results.  John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

A planned maintenance day,

Me and Howard arrived onboard at 2200 Fri 23rd Feb.

Considering there had been no one onboard since late November, she was surprisingly mould and damp free.  The Fwd bilge was dry to the pump,

The aft bilge had some water in but not too much, the main source of river water ingress is the shaft gland which is dripping too fast, we cannot nip this up any further as the packing needs replacing (Out of water job). The Planar heating was immediately fired up, tv on and lights out by 2359

Saturday 24th – The main issue to be sorted was the batteries not lasting overnight without the voltage dropping as reported back in November.  Howard was tasked with this.

Each battery was removed, cell lids off to 1) check the electrolyte levels and 2) to eyeball each cell during the drop test load.  We have some deionised water in the locker to top the cells up if needed, a few did, none of them were below the minimum markers.  Every battery passed the drop test with flying colours.  (The batteries were installed in Aug 2019 so they are now 4½ years old). Then he found the issue, the negative pole cable clamp on the Stbd bank, first battery in the line of three was loose – way too loose this was causing that whole bank to not accept a proper charge or be able to discharge correctly.  Attempting to tighten it up was failing, the solution was to cut a small notch in the battery box (Had to take it out completely) and allow the lay of the cable to sit better – this sorted the issue.  We are therefore confident during JT’s trip out next month there won’t be any electrical issues and the system can be proved.  Plenty of Henry hoovering was carried out in and around the engine bay.  Talking about Henry Hoovers, that reminded me I had to recently replace my works tiling Henry as it got married - Stopped sucking :default_icon_rolleyes:

The sacrificial anode on the aft end of the heat exchanger was replaced too and a good check round of the Beta, g/box etc

Meanwhile I was engaged in the welded on bird crap on the foc’sle, you can see from the photo just how bad it was yet again.  The b&~#£&$d pigeons are either sitting on the wetshed roof cross member or on the varnished woodwork and seriously depositing. This is not the first time either.   It took me ages to get it removed, you dare not go at it with scotch-brite (Green pad) or it will damage the varnish.  The only way is copious amounts amount of warm water and microfibre cloths.  I ended up leaving wet cloths on it to soak it through, took hours and hours. 

I used some visqueen with a length of copper pipe as a weight against the wind and have made a rudimentary cover for the bow, this will need to be removed along with the shed fenders each time we sail and put back again when tucking her up before going home

The galley got a thorough clean – All to the good.

We took ‘B.A’ out for a few runs up and down Barton Broad then turned off the Beta and drifted, the replacement sacrificial anode was weeping – Sorted, the drip tray was cleaned, the voltage charge was checked all to the good, the shaft gland was leaking like a goodun

Then it was back to the wetshed – You can see from the photo that the trees adjacent to the river entrance are yet again impeding over the oggin, this makes it awkward to exit / enter.  Since 2007 I have cut these back twice.  Today was the third time – Much better

The Horns are knackered properly this time, they have been serviced / repaired many times, they are now past it.  They don’t owe us owt as we gottem for nowt second hand back in 2005 And goodness knows how old they were then.  The best horns I have heard afloat are on ‘Bollysnigh’ whose owner came down went through her receipts onboard (And at home) but could find owt, a telecon with Jason Hatch revealed that he had bought them as a gift for them back in his days at LBBY, so no wonder she didn’t have any paperwork, nor did the horns have any makers stamp on them either.  Jason is on the case to source us a set, they came via Brian Wards, he is confident he can track down the makers etc

Tarpaulin issue – The tarpaulin is fine, no rips and looking good.  However our neighbour onboard Missouri Star stated he had emptied out our water catchment bucket many times as it has been overflowing soaking through the rugs and timbers under. He also stated how impressed he is with our tarpaulin and the amount of water / crap rust etc it keeps off the topsides and he is going to have to bite the bullet and fit one himself -   He suggested a square / flat edged bucket, then fasten a skin fitting half way up with as hose leading into the oggin, it will then become self-draining – Good idea – I’ll get onto it.

We now have an impressive thicknessing planer in the locker – Getting in the way – Donated to us by Doug Starr, Bon Oeuf that he is.  If we had been in my van it would have got taken home.  We need to source an outfit that can refurbish it along with new cutting blades, drive belt etc, Research needed – ‘Planer Thicknesser W580 Charnwood’

Our neighbour Spark of Light has gone ages ago with no new neighbour as of yet

The cctv camera upgrade didn’t get done (The gear is ready in the locker) as Robin was not in attendance

The full internal clean through / windows didn’t get done as JT was not in attendance

Departed for home at 1600

‘B.A’ is now ready as per the norm in all respects to accept crews onboard and treat them in her normal fashion

Griff

BA NBN 1322.JPG

BA NBN 1323.jpg

BA NBN 1324.jpg

BA NBN 1325.jpg

BA NBN 1326.jpg

BA NBN 1327.jpg

BA NBN 1328.jpg

BA NBN 1329.jpg

• Like 7

Of course this is a permanent solution to the damn pigeons, my favourite gun a :22 BSA Airsporter, its mint too both inside and out.

That would sort out the wetshed 'Depositing' issue if I ever decided to take it down with me

:default_jumelles:      :default_norty:

Griff

BA NBN 1330.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The aft bilge had some water in but not too much, the main source of river water ingress is the shaft gland which is dripping too fast, we cannot nip this up any further as the packing needs replacing (Out of water job).

Can you fit a Tides dripless seal? Will last a good few years in its own right, but also comes with a spare seal holder on the shaft so when it needs renewing, you can do it in the water.

Automotive "Bug and Tar Remover" might be worth trying on the bird crap? It breaks it down, but is paintwork safe, so probably OK on varnish. I'm more of a fan of .177 PCP for a more permanent solution!

I nearly commented the other day when you said you'd stay in the wetshed. Too nice a weekend for that, so good to see you got a bit of a run out, however brief.

• Thanks 1