Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

We are seriously up against it here. Wat behind schedule. The hull below waterline is nearly complete, needs 2nd anti foul then two coats of boot topping

still to finish applying top rubbing strake, then loads of sanding and varnishing to do. Oh and final coat of white gloss on t hull above waterline as well :default_icon_e_surprised:

Griff

• Like 5

What a lot of work. It seems to me that owning a woodie and maintaining it properly is tantamount to getting a new career. BA always looks superb when out on the water  - an absolute credit to all you who put so much effort into  keeping her that way.  

Carole

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, addicted said:

What a lot of work. It seems to me that owning a woodie and maintaining it properly is tantamount to getting a new career. BA always looks superb when out on the water  - an absolute credit to all you who put so much effort into  keeping her that way.  

Carole

It's threads like this one Carole that remind me of just how wonderful grp is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hi All

Well done to all that are Broad Ambition.

The Plaque is amazing Grendel and modelling it with that finger wrapped in a plaster just shows what you have gone through to create it.:default_icon_e_biggrin:.

Everybody loves to see BA out and about so what a commitment, what a job and what a team.

Thankyou from Marge and Parge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Hi All

Well done to all that are Broad Ambition.

The Plaque is amazing Grendel and modelling it with that finger wrapped in a plaster just shows what you have gone through to create it.:default_icon_e_biggrin:.

Everybody loves to see BA out and about so what a commitment, what a job and what a team.

Thankyou from Marge and Parge.

Grendel without a plaster on his hand or more often his head just doesn’t look like him 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, lurcher said:

Morning Griff.What is the  section of wood,pictured from inside, seemingly bolted at right angles to the hull and then painted?

Looks like a "prayer book" but I don't think Griff would do that!  I guess it is the support for the through bolt at the front of the rubbing strake.

I also notice where small shapes have been "let in" to the wood of the transom, to make good repairs without having to replace whole boards.  Very skilled boatbuilding.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, lurcher said:

Morning Griff.What is the  section of wood,pictured from inside, seemingly bolted at right angles to the hull and then painted?

cheers

jimmy

spreads the load of the front of the rubbing strake trying to pull through across 4 whole planks and half of 2 more

• Like 1

Rubbing Strakes - after they had all been fastened in place, I took a note of the man hours to get them ready for varnishing. Twenty four hours!  And there will be another three hours yet on the CT1 once it’s cured in t morning. Hull needs 2nd coat of anti foul as does the boot topping. Final coat of gloss white planned for tomorrow along with the first brush full of varnish. Also iG4 needs applying to upgraded window hoppers. Another busy day beckons 

Griff

• Like 4

5 hours ago, grendel said:

that new rubbing rail round the bow is looking just perfect.

Thanks Grendel

As i did such a good job, i get to do it all again next week on Lovejoy

Robin

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hi Andrew

How long is a piece of string?

If they are well maintained ( i know these will be) and you can keep the water out from between the hull and the rubbing strakes they will last indefinitely.these rubbing strakes are painted on the back and are bed on with a none setting Butyl rubber selant.

Apart from collision damage most of the rubbing strakes i replace are due to them rotting from behind where water has got in and you don't see it until it is to late.

• Like 2

The first coat of varnish is on!  Used half a tin  of Ravilakk  thinned down 70/30. Boot topping second coated. Rudder and prop polished.

Window hoppers x 10 drilled, brass ferrules in, outer faces G4’d

we will apply second varnish coat this evening after dinner in t Wherry

Still plenty of internals to look at. Still second coat of anti foul to go on and gloss white to the hull

Londonrascal has had to go home unexpectedly earlier, that leaves me n Bro, he’s off tomorrow afternoon. That’ll be me on my Todd again. We launch on Thursday 

Griff

• Like 7