Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

actually, that doesnt look properly centred, so I might run it again to see if I can do better, honestly at this size its hard to see until I have photographed it. 

this will have to wait until later though, as I hvae to run, there is a boat jumble in paddock wood starting soon.

the enamel arrived in this mornings post and the badge has now had 2 coats of enamel put on and baked on (this ensures the enamel has set correctly), and then the face sanded down with 800 grit wet and dry to reveal the brass, and very god it looks too.

this is the finished piece, and I am happy that it is as good as I can get it

DSCF0002.JPG

• Like 15

23 hours ago, grendel said:

the enamel arrived in this mornings post and the badge has now had 2 coats of enamel put on and baked on (this ensures the enamel has set correctly), and then the face sanded down with 800 grit wet and dry to reveal the brass, and very god it looks too.

this is the finished piece, and I am happy that it is as good as I can get it

DSCF0002.JPG

image.png.1b99ce3b552c56909a9c14f8d3013592.png

I think that is an amazing finished piece. Compare it with the original item that Grendel worked to, from only a photo.

And remember, it is what just 4 inches across ?

10 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

image.png.1b99ce3b552c56909a9c14f8d3013592.png

I think that is an amazing finished piece. Compare it with the original item that Grendel worked to, from only a photo.

And remember, it is what just 4 inches across ?

I always love a challenge, and remember this, once i have completed it to my satisfaction, then rarely do I want to revisit an item, (apart from for example with the model where several of the same item might be required). A lot of my interest is in the new challenge that making this required, so this said this would not be an item i would be knocking out tons of, essentially, this was a one off for Griff.

might i change that stance once retirement looms and to make a little pocket money, maybe, but my interests would still be for one off projects.

• Like 2

I was hoping to get some AMP maintenance items ticked off onboard ‘B.A’. However due to   clients boat issues Just not had any spare time to do so

However one onboard item is to sterilise the FW system. Therefore I have just administered Puriclean to both tanks, ran it through all taps inc shwr. 12 x Hrs to do it’s thing, I’ll commence draining and flushing at 1000 tomorrow

Griff

image.jpg

Update,

There are now fifty one items on the AMP list, one of which (Above) has been completed.

A downer is that our Wizard cannot attend which is somewhat of a disappointment for him and us but he is hoping to achieve one of the more important long overdue upgrades from his woodbutchery workshop at home.  On the upside I have managed to engage the services of an excellent (Forumite) woodbutcher who is an experienced woody maintainer who ain't bad at varnishing either 

I have nine confirmed volunteers totalling 58 working days so far, that's four hundred and sixty four hours minimum with three of them yet to provide their days on site so the total available man hours will of course be much higher.

We have ordered and paid for the gear from Marine Industrial - Paints / varnishes / primers / thinners / fillers / brushes / rollers etc.  We have ordered and paid for the Holly & Teak wheelhouse and galley replacement decks from Dunhams.  We have ordered and paid for the Utile rubbing strips and toe rails from Tim Collin.  We have reserved the Burmese Teak for the planks / ribs and will collect in due course.  We have ordered a myriad of other miscellaneous items.  The Woodbutchery boat workshop, lift and pressure washing is booked - Funds in place

What's yet to do?  Work out tides and transit times from the wetshed down to Lake Lothing.  Sort out getting our left behind vehicles from Stalham to Lowestoft after 'B.A' transit.  Try to keep any surprises in the open wallet surgery department down to a sensible level

Counting down the days

Griff

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Today it begins

Once I and Bro' have completed our days toil, we drive down separately to the wetshed.  I am instructed to get 'B.A' to the southern woodbutcher for midday to enable time for lift, power wash then chocking up in his shed. That means Mutford Lock for around 1200 (I 've checked in with them previously for a slot).

On arrival onboard offload loads of kit, store up with other kit we have to sail nlt than 0300 Friday morning to get under GYA bridges so a partial night nav it will be. The other option is to sail as soon as we can Thursday evening, stop at Stracey then set off early doors from there.  We also need to get a vehicle dropped of at the southern shed to enable us to bring t'other one down from Stalham

I have booked mysen off work from this afternoon right through to the 02nd May. The other three owners will be visiting throughout the period with a couple of volunteers too

There are fifty two items on the list to attend to.  To date we have between us spent around £3:5k, we are expecting to top out at around the £6k mark but that depends on what we find / discover

This is the biggest and most ambitious AMP we will have carried out since we launched her back in 2007 and is unusual due to the amount of upgrades we have planned plus all of her exterior will be getting repainted / varnished apart from the cabin sides, they may yet get treated to a freshen up too

Onwards and upward once more then

Griff

• Like 9

Griff there was a good moon for night navving last night around 9pm, beautifully clear and bright, so evening sail might be better light wise than early morning, it was so bright i went for an evening walk and could clearly see everything. full moon is in 2 days time

• Thanks 1