Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

Robin is doing a sterling job on my Bourne hull. Might be worth popping down to see how he is fitting my rubbing strikes. The laminated bit around the front is much more complicated than it looks. 

Popping down ain't that easy just for a 'Look See' considering the distances involved.  As for more complicated than it looks - I know, I've done it once before in the early noughties

Griff

On 06/02/2022 at 23:24, AndyTBoater said:

Robin is doing a sterling job on my Bourne hull. Might be worth popping down to see how he is fitting my rubbing strikes. The laminated bit around the front is much more complicated than it looks. 

Robin is a total genius, the dashboard he created for us is a thing of beauty. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Flying visit today, setting off at 0500, back later today,  Fitting 100amp alternator with its new brushes, re-routing and renewing the raw water inlet pipework, fitting sensor cables to the new split charger.  Expecting a visit from a well known wood butcher and hoping to get her out of the shed for a run to Barton and back

Griff

• Like 1

Well, that was a successful trip down and back.

Departed my Hovel at 0500, chauffeur driven by ones Bro'

Arrived onboard at around 0830 including a stop for B'fast en-route,  Systems on - all ok, heating fired up, the wetshed was pretty cold inside compared to outdoors

Up deckboards, sleeves up and away we go.  The first job was to remove the raw water inlet cooling flexi pipes. all five of em, then to refit the alternator.  Now here's a thing.  After we had the alternator tested up here in Donny and the brushes replaced, Bro opened it up for an internal clean - Horrors - the firm had replaced just the ONE BRUSH - Not happy even less chuffed when Bro' discovered he had not cut / bedded it in either, £30 for ONE brush? :default_pcwhack:

So Bro' got onto Beta Marine, a new regulator with two brushes - £55:00 plus £3:00 delivery - Daylight robbery.  He sourced the exact same regulator and brushes for £22 delivered.  We changed them over before refitting the alternator

Griff

BA NBN 1140.jpg

Only refitting the alternator was not straight forward as it should have been - Is anything ever where boats are concerned?

There is a bolt and a stud that the alternator brackets fits too, only the stud turned out not to be a stud but a snapped off bolt in the thread - Great news.  Wind the snapped off bolt thread out and replace with a s/steel unit this was proper awkward. 

Then our expert wood butcher arrived - Robin (Kingfisher) so I left Bro' to it while me and Robin discussed important things

Back onto it, alternator fitted, belt tensioned.

Then it was fitting the new raw water inlet hoses, re-siting one in particular better, which will improve water flow, this entailed a knock on effect of re-siting a siring loom too.  Two new sensor cables fitted for the split charger and we were done.

It was now 1500 and time to go for a shakedown run to Barton Broad and back

Griff

BA NBN 1141.jpg

BA NBN 1142.jpg

BA NBN 1143.jpg

BA NBN 1144.jpg

BA NBN 1145.jpg

BA NBN 1146.jpg

BA NBN 1147.jpg

BA NBN 1148.JPG

BA nbn 1149.jpg

So, all buttoned up and off we went.  A proper glorious afternoon to be out on the water.  It was sunny with a stiff breeze and chilly. I even did a couple of live streaming videos onto the dreaded FB for all to see.  There were a few white ponies on Barton Broad (Not big enough to call em genuine white horses) we went to the island and back again to give her a shakedown.  Checked everything - all to the good.  Back into the wetshed for about 1600, final tidy through and  drive home.  A successful visit

Clay shooting in the morning, :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Griff

• Like 7

Why the twin weed strainers? Is that not a an extra opoortunity to suck air in and run the impellor dry? A bit overkill for a broads boat I'd have thought.

I've never yet had much crud in my strainers but as I do most of my boating on the southern rivers that must have a big bearing on things.

• Like 1

on 21/01/2022 BA wrote

After much testing Howard declared he had no confidence in the 100 amp alternator, so we removed it.  That will be handed in to a company up here in Donny sometime Monday.  This being Gods Country and not Norfolk means by Tuesday it will have been tested and the results will decide on the way ahead.

Then BA wrote

After we had the alternator tested up here in Donny and the brushes replaced, Bro opened it up for an internal clean - Horrors - the firm had replaced just the ONE BRUSH - Not happy even less chuffed when Bro' discovered he had not cut / bedded it in either, £30 for ONE brush?

It might have taken a bit longer in Norfolk but at least we know the difference between 1 brush and 2 brushes :)

:default_hiding:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 26/02/2022 at 04:45, BroadAmbition said:

Flying visit today, setting off at 0500, back later today,  Fitting 100amp alternator with its new brushes, re-routing and renewing the raw water inlet pipework, fitting sensor cables to the new split charger.  Expecting a visit from a well known wood butcher and hoping to get her out of the shed for a run to Barton and back

Griff

I didn’t know you were expecting me. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, AndyTBoater said:

on 21/01/2022 BA wrote

After much testing Howard declared he had no confidence in the 100 amp alternator, so we removed it.  That will be handed in to a company up here in Donny sometime Monday.  This being Gods Country and not Norfolk means by Tuesday it will have been tested and the results will decide on the way ahead.

Then BA wrote

After we had the alternator tested up here in Donny and the brushes replaced, Bro opened it up for an internal clean - Horrors - the firm had replaced just the ONE BRUSH - Not happy even less chuffed when Bro' discovered he had not cut / bedded it in either, £30 for ONE brush?

It might have taken a bit longer in Norfolk but at least we know the difference between 1 brush and 2 brushes :)

:default_hiding:

You know the old saying Buy cheap once, buy twice! :default_gbxhmm:

• Like 1

Why the twin weed strainers? Is that not a an extra opportunity to suck air in and run the impellor dry? A bit overkill for a broads boat I'd have thought.

When we did the restoration thing, we removed the traditional tall brass tube gauze strainer and replaced it with a /steel grated 'scoop' hull fitting combining a shut off valve.  Being belts and braces we doubled up so there are two of everything.  The raw water pipes are see through so any air leaks can be easily seen and identified.  We now have the versatility that if onw inlet gets blocked we can close it down and run on the other one.  To date after sixteen years of use we have never had a blocked filter, the hull grated inlets see to that,  Never had any air leaks or a failed impellor either.

I agree it is a bit of an overkill but we have never skimped or just 'Made Do' given the choice where 'B.A' is concerned. 

Griff

• Like 2

It might have taken a bit longer in Norfolk but at least we know the difference between 1 brush and 2 brushes :)

Correct, so do we up here, I felt as though my leg had been lifted, but he did do the testing and fitted next day to get us operational again.  However the fitting of just ONE replacement brush to me seems bad practise

You know the old saying Buy cheap once, buy twice! 

Indeed I do and I agree with the saying too.

Buying cheap? - The alternator was supplied with the Beta brand new in 2007, we weren't given any options of different alternator makes when ordering, just the option of a second larger output unit.  The alternator is preforming just fine, brushes are serviceable items after all, 3'500 hours + before just the one brush needed changing, and I now know why just the one wore out a lot quicker than the other brush and why the alternator is now a lot quieter when running

Griff

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The raw water pipes are see through so any air leaks can be easily seen and identified.

I chucked some floating plastic balls in mine so the water movement and level could be seen through the lid, I need to replace as they have now sunk, must have absorbed some water or split.

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

and I now know why just the one wore out a lot quicker than the other brush and why the alternator is now a lot quieter when running

Something in behind the spring?

Something in behind the spring?

Nope - a Mile off

Side load, if the belt was too tight?

Nearly bang on!

The alternator has a sturdy bracket that is bolted down onto a plate off the side casing of the block above the fwd engine mount. it is bolted down with two bolts, one fwd one aft.  The aft one had sheared clean through between the plate and bracket,  When this happened I have no idea but looking at the top of the threads it was a good while ago, years ago, probably fractured / overtightened during initial build as between receipt of the Beta in 2007 to date we have never had cause to remove the alternator.

It was proper difficult removing the threaded section of the bolt, I could only get to it from underneath with a small pair of mole grips and then only about a quarter of a turn at best

Now then, we have for years put up with an annoying chattering sound when the beta is running, it was not intrusive but always there, we wrongly (As it turns out) thought this sound was just a characteristic of the Beta.

It wasn't, it was the secondary 100amp alternator doing the chattering noise

Having opened up said alternator and discovered one brush fully worn out and the second one only halfway down, plus the recently discovered sheared off bolt, on shakedown trials last Saturday with both bolts in situ (A replacement s/steel bolt was used) drivebelt correctly tensioned as normal, that 'Sound' has disappeared completely - The Beta is so much quieter now - We are well chuffed

It turned out that with the aft bolt sheared only the fwd bolt and the tensioner were keeping the alternator in place and misaligning it slightly - hence the prematurely single brush worn out and the chattering noise

So it was a side load yes, but not an overtightened belt - I would be disgusted and highly embarrassed wi mysen if I couldn't tension a drive belt correctly with my history

Griff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Monday 07th Mar

Onboard for mid afternoon after a steady uneventful trip down from Donny with Purdey dog.

Systems on, checked through, the f/w tanks gauge was showing nearly empty so filled them to the brim.  The Aft bilge pump shifted a fair amount of water, Hmmmm, the hull planking work can't come soon enough when she is due out of the wet stuff next month

The main reason for this visit was to make up some templates, then deliver the same to Tim Collins at Hoveton and get the Utile timber ordered ready to replace the entire rubbing strakes next month, all 174ft and 72ft of toe rail

Second job was to replace some jubilee clips with T-bolts clips on the raw water induction pipes

Third 'Job' was to indulge in a spot of fishing and that was it, due home Wednesday evening

Best laid plans and all that

It was during the cruise to Malthouse Broad that the aft bilge pump was yet again showing more activity than I was happy with.  Nowt much I could do about this until next month, we would just have to live with it.  The Planar heater was doing its thing and warming 'B.A' through nicely.  I was relieved to see 8ft 2" at Ludham bridge meaning only the mast had to be lowered, lowering the wheelhouse sides / windscreen / canopy etc whilst solo crewing is a right faff.  Nav lights on arrived in darkness

After dinner in the Maltsters - the menu left me somewhat non-plussed - back onboard for around 2000.  Yet again the aft bilge pump was active, I checked the f/w tank gauge which was showing only half full.  Half full? Really?  There was no way I had used that much water, only did a small amount of cleaning and making Rum coffees.  There was sommat or t'other occurring here, this then must be why the aft bilge was active?  I would have a look-see in t Morning, I turned the f/w pump off - we normally leave it on day and night

Griff

• Like 3

Tuesday 8th Mar

After a surprise lie in, after emptying the aft bilge area again and sorting the normal stuff out it was time to lift the engine deck boards.  On inspection the f/w pump was merrily providing a free flow of water into the bilge, constantly too even with the pump switched off.  All delivery pipes / connections were fine, the leak was coming from the body of the pump where it was joined together.  Bugger, this then was the source of the water ingress and the reason that the aft bilge pump was being far too active, the relief that we didn't have a river water ingress was welcome, it was also plainly obvious as to how I had managed to 'Consume' half the two tanks capacity in short order

Nowt for it, I would have to take the pump out of situ and investigate further.  The leaks can easily be seen in the photo's

Griff

BA NBN 1152.jpg

BA NBN 1153.jpg

• Like 1

Turning off the main large shut off valve from the tanks stopped the free flow leak.

I stripped the pump down, applied instant gasket sealer then refitted, opened the main shut of valve, prior to turning the pump on - checked for leaks, yep still leaking.  Three times I carried out this process, three times I failed to stop the pump leaking but did slow down the rate.  Rang Vetus enquiring about a seal / service kit - non available - they don't stock / supply them but would happily sell me a new pump - Really? - You can keep your new pump chaps, not impressed.  Apparently once this happens to this type of pump - they are toast.  It would need a replacement.  For now it was acceptable and still providing pressure / flow to the taps, plus not as much f/w ending up in the bilge.

Next on the list whilst I had the deck boards up was to replace the jubilee clips with T bolt clips opn the recently replaced raw water induction pipes.  I had ordered some 316 s/steel jobbies.  This was a straightforward job and no hassle unlike the damn pump.  Jobs a gudden

Griff

BA NBN 1154.jpg

BA NBN 1155.jpg

BA NBN 1156.jpg

BA NBN 1157.jpg

• Like 2

Wed 9th March

The main reason for my visit was to make up some templates then deliver the same to Tim Collins timber supplier.  Herewith templates completed.  The top rubbing strake is currently three laminates, we are going to reduce this down to two laminates to match the middle and lower rubbing strakes, also alter the way the fenders are hung and go minimalistic 

Griff

BA NBN 1158.jpg

BA NBN 1159.jpg

Wed 09th Mar continued

Visited Tim Collins - Timber ordered (He's knowledgeable in his field and a very nice man too)

I removed the pump and took mysen off to Boulters chandlery at Hoveton.

I have to say they were most helpful, all manner of pumps were offered up.  I wanted as near to the original specs as I could get, that being 12v, 7amps start up, 45psi and 13 Ltrs per minute, more importantly was the fittings thereby negating having to start and re-plumb the onboard pipes etc

I settled on a 'Seaflo' item, 8amps start up, 45psi and 11:3 Ltrs per minute delivery. It was also the cheapest unit offered too at £100:00,   The fittings were the same too - Bargain.  The only adjustment I had to make was to drill out slightly the holes for the rubber feet mounts to accept our s/steel bolts - which are a right pain to get in place.

On commissioning there were no leaks, plus the delivery and pressure at the taps is back up to being impressive once again, the previous pump which is over ten years old now was obviously getting tired in its performance, not noticed by us with the decline being gradual over a long period of time

Jobs a Gudden

Griff

BA NBN 1160.jpg

BA NBN 1161.jpg

BA NBN 1162.jpg

BA NBN 1163.jpg

BA NBN 1164.jpg

• Like 4