Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

I see a small business opportunity here

Lovejoy`s Lunches and Comestible Cuisine - Freshly cooked outside the workshop and hand delivered. 

Ships Biscuit, Lime Juice (for Scurvy Prevention) and a hot buttered cabin boy - £5

Pemmican, ginger beer and a lick of the cat - £5

Suspicious looking meat served in a hollowed out bilge plank with Utile shavings - £5

Gaviscon or Milk of Magnesia - £14

Guaranteed not Vegan or Gluten Free

Andy T Blumenthal

• Haha 6

I suppose here is a better place to put this rather than carry on drifting the Broadsman thread

Today I cut a test in Brass (thin brass because I have a ton of that), so both parts were tested side by side, the test was successful, so the real thing is whirring away in the background now.

DSCF9976.JPG

DSCF9978.JPG

DSCF9979.JPG

DSCF9980.JPG

DSCF9981.JPG

• Like 6

Oh Wow, look at that.  Only been waiting for one of these since 2002 when we adopted R641, that's twenty years now.  All good things come to those that wait. :default_beerchug:

Are you painting the background in black or am I?

Just asking as I'll need to source handy sized brushes and some black enamel

I think we'll give you the honour of screwing it in place with photographs for our records.  Therefore it can stay off the list

Griff

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Oh Wow, look at that.  Only been waiting for one of these since 2002 when we adopted R641, that's twenty years now.  All good things come to those that wait. :default_beerchug:

I think we'll give you the honour of screwing it in place with photographs for our records.  Therefore it can stay off the list

Griff

How about a grand plaque installing ceremony the spring meet up ?

• Like 1

Well the final product has been produced, at a cost mind, I broke 3no 1.5mm end mills/ engraving bits making this, cutting it out broke 2, as it is 3 mm thick, it's quite a difficult cut down in that pocket, as it was I think the bit pushed up into the collet as I cut 3.2mm deep and then found it was 0.5mm shallow, so this morning some cleanup was done.

I so very nearly did it again as I found once I had finished, that I had engraved the back upside down, but then I rationalised that you would never look at both sides at once, so left it, I have black enamel on order, so I will do the paint job Griff.

Whether I post it to you or bring it up with me may well depend on how the boats are scheduled for maintenance, as soon as I know, I can work it out.

IMG_20220325_090438.jpg

IMG_20220325_090445.jpg

IMG_20220325_090528.jpg

• Like 5

The casualties, these bits have cutting tips only 1.5mm wide (1/16") , actually on the engraving bit the tip is just 0.05"(1.2mm) cutting edge, and that was used to cut out the design and do the letters on the back. In the picture, the cutting edges are gone because that's what broke off, the shafts on these are 3mm.

IMG_20220325_092841.jpg

• Like 1

this is the test piece that i did in thinner brass, I found I had some black modelling acrylics, so thought I would try out the test piece, it worked, a quick coat of paint and three hours later a rub across some 400 grit wet and dry on a flat background, brought up the brasswork a treat, the real deal will get done in enamel and baked for good adhesion (into the oven on low- this is when its good not to have an other half to complain at this point, I know some guys that have to have their own old oven in the workshop for these processes).

anyway pleased to say this approach is quick, and works, remember this is just the test subject.

DSCF9986.JPG

DSCF9987.JPG

DSCF9988.JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

How do you arrive at your "Speed and Feed" settings or does your kit do that for you?

Only asking as the process has bu€ge$d three tools.

I have a spreadsheet that gives safe speeds and feeds, the real issue was the deep cut round the outside 1.5mm wide 3mm deep, the cutters are being pushed to their limit (or beyond, and they are only small cutters.) the problem was the holes, if I compensated for the cut round the outside, the cutter would have been too wide to do the holes.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, andyg said:

Just out of interest, what ever happened to Jack powels hire fleet. Its seemed very busy, I had a few years away from the broads and I remember being surprised they'd disappeared. A fair size fleet as well if I remember correctly.

They were swallowed up into the Pennants holiday group along with Earnest Collins, Hearts, Southgates & Herbert Woods in the 80’s.  When they went pop the boats were sold off, a few stayed with Herbert Woods for a few years but all gone now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

A rod for your own back how do you make a model sized version.? What you have done is amazing and you should be proud of it. Kindest regards Marge and Parge 

I have the CNC file, so I just scale it to 1/12 size- Like this, a bit of cleanup required, and I nearly lost the part when it flew out of the workpiece when the mill cut through.

DSCF9996.JPG

DSCF9995.JPG