Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

Well done BroadAmbition on all of your hard work and all the very best for all of your future travels. Ideally without a troublesome turd, sorry third, socket :default_smile:

9 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Griff I notice you've not got the word Ambition on the back of the Boat will that be put back on? Still you've done a Splendid Job on getting Broad Ambition back in the water as to the time you've being allocated to in the Three  Weeks

Any ambition he once had was knocked out of him with all that varnishing :default_biggrin:

18 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Griff I notice you've not got the word Ambition on the back of the Boat will that be put back on? Still you've done a Splendid Job on getting Broad Ambition back in the water as to the time you've being allocated to in the Three  Weeks

its not on the front either, but its a job that can be done afloat, so not mission critical

Eventually got home (Via Marine Industrial) at 2030, twenty two days since I left.

I'll do a write up thingy in due course.  Getting picked up at 0610 in t morning for an all day clay team shoot.  I wish it was next Saturday and not tomorrow

Griff

• Like 2

Here we go again.  Departing shortly in t 'GriffTile' van for one night only, due back home tomorrow evening.

We intend to get the toe rails sealed up and final coat of Brava varnish, service the throne - full stripdown - Allocated that one to ones Bro'  :default_norty:    Fit a temporary galley deck in place.  New beefier starter motor for the Beta.  Fit fender eyes, fenders etc and owt else we can tick of the outstanding list.

Griff

• Like 5

The starter motor is currently working but getting tired.  The Beta is getting on for four thousand hours now and has been in service since 2007 so approaching fifteen years.  We wanted to change the starter motor over before it let us down.  The new unit it upgraded and much stronger. 

-------------------------------------

Between Friday evening and departing we got a fair few items ticked off and as a result 'B.A' is now fit and ready for duty once again.  There are however twenty five items outstanding

Onboard Friday evening at 2000, we got set to immediately, removed cured excess CT1 from areas of the toe rails, then de-nibbed followed by a wipe down with white spirit

Then CT1 applied by torchlight – they will need the excess cleaning off in due course

We cranked the Beta with no preheat, didn’t start and sluggish turnover

Saturday – Changed the starter for a new beefier unit.  This spun the Beta over so quick it started with no use of pre heat.  Fingers crossed for the future.

F/w flexi pipe work has become somewhat tired – it is operational but more fettling required in future.  Items ordered

Both aft bilge pumps were in need of attention and deep cleaning – Sorted.

The Fwd auto bilge pump was about worn out, it was changed over for a spare unit that is also on its last legs. The float secondary pump is also not performing too well either -  Replacements on order, I hope to fit at Salhouse next weekend if they arrive in time

The f/w water expansion tank was recharged up to 20psi – it was down at 10psi

The gifted freebie 12mm softwood ply is now installed in the galley as a temporary measure, we eagerly await news of the new Holly and Teak boards being ready for collection.   The Stbd aft deck hatch recess was trimmed back, then port, Stbd and well deck hatches were cleaned, sanded and treated to two coats of G4 on back and edges. 

The W/C was removed, stripped down, thoroughly cleaned out and re-installed.  We remove three rolls of 3 x ply bog roll that was in stock onboard, its too thick and clogs up the pipes.  This is the fault of our onboard 'Entertainment Officers'

All fourteen fenders are now mounted with new fender lanyards. CT1 applied under the s/steel eyes.  The original 12 were deep cleaned, the new pair of F02's are mounted vertically aft,

The toe rails have had their final full strength coat of Brava varnish applied.

The 12v wheelhouse overhead light plug by the helm has been tightened for good with some CT1 added, this should stop it coming loose ever again.

An upgraded stronger multi-pin waterproof plug for the masthead lights has been ordered

The larger spiral wrap has been fixed in place beside on the Beta wiring loom

There is a new Barometer onboard (It was gifted to 'B.A') but I need to move the ‘Explorer’ badge over then fit the barometer – I will do it this coming weekend at Salhouse

Our Luggage trolley is now out of action.  It had two flat tyres, after inflating them they went flat almost immediately.  Both wheels are now at home to be refurbed along with new tyres and inner tubes

We departed for home yesterday at 1830

Griff

BA NBN 1174.jpg

BA NBN 1175.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

The macerating throne is nearly knackered, no spare parts available either. After much research Robin has come up trumps yet again - Tip don’t buy a Vetus unit, you are paying over the odds for the name. New unit will be with me tomorrow. I’m onboard as of 0300 this morning as I’m tiling a mates shower on his boat. I hope to fit new throne before I return home on Friday 

Griff 

• 4 weeks later...

I fitted the new Macerating throne just fine.  Sods law states the original Vetus unit is now making no noises and performing just fine.  Anyone want it with a donation to forum funds?

I will be departing my hovel shortly for a four day maintenance / upgrade session, staying in the wetshed, just me and my mates so on my todd once again

Griff

BA NBN 1177.jpg

I am up early tomorrow until sunday to do some gelcoat repairs , change a basin waste and change the galley doors and drawers. I am on my own because I don't have any friends :default_biggrin:

Typically, after a nice week we have a thunderstorm warning for thursday and rain for saturday.

7 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I fitted the new Macerating throne just fine.  Sods law states the original Vetus unit is now making no noises and performing just fine.  Anyone want it with a donation to forum funds?

I will be departing my hovel shortly for a four day maintenance / upgrade session, staying in the wetshed, just me and my mates so on my todd once again

Griff

BA NBN 1177.jpg

Hi Griff

Four days that is eight bi fold shower doors BA must be bigger than me an Ole Marge remember :default_gbxhmm:

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Our Purdey dog is most miffed again, to such a degree that she has not eaten any food since Wednesday teatime   why?  Cos I left home Wednesday night. I’m onboard and she isn’t. Just what goes through a doggy mind?

Right - he’s left me behind again well I’ll show him, I’ll not eat my tea, that’ll teach him

I’m due home tomorrow evening, she’ll be ravenous by then

Meanwhile, I’m cracking on here. Up dates later 

Griff

Oh yes. What goes through the mind of a dog.

This morning I watched a young lady boarding her boat with a poo bag in one hand and a small dog under the other arm. The expression on the dog's face was wonderful, as if it was saying...

"If I'd known you wanted it on the damned boat, I'd have done it on the damned boat".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4