Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

• 4 weeks later...

Arrived at Beccles Friday afternoon. Whilst checking out an electrical anomaly Robin happened to notice a lot of. River water in the engine drip tray. On investigation turned out to be a failing raw water pump. It then on being discovered decided to be noisy below 1000rpm

New pump ordered Friday pm. Arrived and fitted today by yours truly once the sunshine had calmed down a bit

Griff

1A6856C0-27A0-4F95-9B19-707F64500582.jpeg

037EA0FC-98C0-4334-B015-7ED5CB68F97A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That electrical anomaly I mentioned previously was the Solar panels feed to battery cable. It wasn’t wired via a particular shunt, in fact direct to battery from the mppt. Consequently the sterling monitoring power management system could not take into account amps Hrs replaced via the SP’s, that was throwing out the amp Hr counter (and us)

Remedy - I Purchase 4m multi strand 35amp cable and fitted this forenoon. 3:5 x Hrs. The shunt was very difficult to get to, especially getting the cover off. I have moved it onboard by about a foot, even so can’t get the outbound clip back on this will have to be done when battery box is removed for diesel tank sump draining during AMP. Other that all done. Removed t’other cable. Now monitoring system says we are charging with no shore power or engine running. Happy days

Griff

D4575BA5-FBED-46B6-839D-055EDB0E9A96.jpeg

7F2D6C14-0631-4415-975B-1075BFF2F848.jpeg

76592994-2AD7-4897-884D-D8D6BA90E8FA.jpeg

8F98FB4E-D277-4B64-B5D5-E479C31FFE9C.jpeg

63B8E192-461E-4343-A907-C7DEEF53D452.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If all goes to plan - and when does that happen often? - I should be onboard 'B.A' late tomorrow (Sunday) evening.  That's assuming the 'GriffTile' van gets me there.  The last time I set off for Norfolk in said van (To assist with RT) the turbo let go after only 20 odd miles down the A1.

Way back I initially planned for this visit a whole five days working on 'B.A' but as ever those plans have been somewhat restricted again, this time down to three days or so.  Not my fault I cry your honour.   Lady Beryl (Next door to 'B.A') requires a bath side tiling, fitting of shower control / riser rail.  A certain Hampton needs a couple of galley wall tiles replacing.  The former NBN's owner wants a hearth tiling.  Then there is Indy - She will rob me all day Friday (Thereafter I'm working on Indy for the following 7 x days as previously planned)

So what's to be done on 'B.A ?  As usual we have 'The List'  which we never seem to get to the bottom of

Primarily for me is to fashion a new cant rail right around where the cabin sides meet the deck from the same timber that I used for the top rail, (Timber that no one including Tim Collins have been able to tell me what type it is) Then make some mounting pads for the new deck lights, the mounting pads will be from teak as I have some stock of this. (That was a show-off statement BTW).    Then fit/connect said deck lights. Of course the limiting factor in the cant rail / pads department is the drying time of coats of varnish.  Meanwhile between Robin and I we will be tackling the Solar Panel replacement, not an easy job this one as we have to route new cables from the SP's right through to the MPPT, that is going to be very awkward.  The onboard radio/cd player has to be changed, it's a larger unit that requires re-wiring as well as joinery work to make it fit / look proper.  Then there is the Beta engine, now slightly overdue a few hours for a minor service, oil, filter, diesel filter, air filter etc.  That will see it ok for another 250 x Hrs then come the 3'000 Hr mark its a major service which I always look forward to with joy and glee.  What else? - A replacement spark driver for oven / grill that's assuming Robin/Howard have actually ordered the thing, reduce the size of the tiled foot shelf in the shower compartment.  Replace an LED bunk light,  renew some deckhead Led lamps.  Oh and then of course have another clean through ready for Bro and friends who are afloat from the Friday evening

Will we achieve all of the above during this visit?  Despite turning in forecasted minimum 12 x Hr days without stand-easy or lunch breaks  -  Will we heckers like but as ever and in the normal fashion will certainly give it a go. Onwards and upward once more then

Griff

• Like 4

One of the seven bunk light has started to flash periodically - first one to develop an issue. The deck head lights currently installed are fine but a few in t galley, the bezels were failing, turns out they are chromed plastic. Over the past 11 years started to look tatty. So Robin produced 4 polished s/steel units which we changed over.

Yes you guessed it, he then went and produced a full set of the same so now got to change the lot over just for cosmetic purposes. I suppose it’s correct as they will all match. There are now sixteen more to change over. Sigh

Griff

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Maurice Some cheaper leds do not have protection , and can catch fire,we had one of these, found it in time.The dearer led's have spike protection and are fuzed they also don't cause interference on radios etc and last longer, For a fuller information on this Google Bedazzled Led's   site for a fuller information. John

• Thanks 1