The Locks Inn Geldeston FREEHOUSE

kfurbank

Excuse the capitals in the title, but The Locks Inn has recently become a freehouse. It looks like Colin is still the landlord so I assume he must have purchased the freehold from Tim at The Green Jack Brewery. Popped in there about a week ago and there was no GJ ales on. Three Grain beers and Bring me Sunshine from Tring brewery. GJ ales will be on as guest ales from time to time. Sadly though no Orange Wheat beer on this occasion.

Mixed feelings on this one. Colin has run The Locks well for quite some time now, but the combination of The Locks location and GJ ales was quite a draw. Off course Colin does now have the freedom to choose whatever beers he wants so I guess time will tell.

• Like 1

I must admit I'm with you on this one. .. The locks is probably my most favorite pub on the broads and this is rather sad as it's the only place I found GJ beers.. 

But good luck to him.. it won't stop us going there though :)cheers

Not being a beer drinker (allergic to alcahol) it does`nt bother me, though i do like the locks inn, the food we had there about three years ago was excellent, so i hope that stays the same?. The sad thing is, most of the time when we get to Beccles, the tide is too high for us to get under the Old road bridge, so we pull into the Yacht station. After a while, we get settled, so don`t bother going further up when the tide drops.

• Like 1

For me thanks to Alan and Dave is perhaps the one pub from my child hood memory.I remember susan,we would all seat down then she would ask what you wanted to drink,then disappearing coming back later with your drinks.Sadly have not be there for some time.

Ian

• Like 1

Peter is right, I understand Green Jack have divorced with the brewery and Triangle going one way and the Locks and the Stanford Arms the other. Hence both the latter have gone free although still owned by the divorced half of Gj

We pooped in the Locks last week and some good Grain beers were on but I must say I've always enjoyed the Gj ales too. They have a new one called Waxwing which I find very enjoyable. cheers

Peter is right, I understand Green Jack have divorced with the brewery and Triangle going one way and the Locks and the Stanford Arms the other. Hence both the latter have gone free although still owned by the divorced half of Gj

We pooped in the Locks last week and some good Grain beers were on but I must say I've always enjoyed the Gj ales too. They have a new one called Waxwing which I find very enjoyable. cheers

I`m surprised you did`nt get arrested for "pooping in the locks Howard? :naughty: :naughty:

• Like 1

I too will miss the Trawlerboys at the Locks - always a good pint. The Grain "Oak" was especially good last weekend though and it is great to be able to find some of the Grain Brewery beers for sale on the Broads. They produce some excellent stuff. The brewery own the Plough pub in St Benedict's Street in Norwich which is where I usually get my fix!

The Locks is just such a special and very lovely place though

I did notice that all the old Barsham Fair posters had disappeared from behind the bar. That was a surprise.

Carol

• Like 1

I did notice that all the old Barsham Fair posters had disappeared from behind the bar.

What! Tragedy! One of my earliest memories is of Barsham Faire, from the very early 1970s. I didn't know what it was, couldn't place the memory at all until I saw those posters, they nagged at me until the dawn of the www and I could research it. It would be nice to think that something like that could work again, but sadly I doubt it, a remnant of a time which has slipped away.

Sad that the situation at the Locks has changed, as how it was was close to perfect, I doubt these changes will see an improvement, I just hope down the line it doesn't jeopordise the long term future of the Locks, which always seemed pretty secure under GJ

You can keep your wheat beer btw, and your Jenny Morgan too. Gone Fishing was a mans drink!

• Like 1

Quote "You can keep your wheat beer btw, and your Jenny Morgan too. Gone Fishing was a mans drink!"

Doesn't help with the helming though does it Paul :shocked  :twisted:

Mind you I do think the Steak and Ale pie was better when it was made with Gone Fishing.

Due to its location I will still be a frequent visitor to The Locks, just hope it does maintain its standard.