The Glorious 16th!

Yep, I'll be on the river bank about five o'clock in the morning, catch the last two and a half hours of the ebb. Last year was a bit of a slow start for me but this year is going to be good, I can feel it in my water!! 

Not till the 17th this year for me....................................... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr dam work

Yes undoubtedly its about boozing and getting peace from the other half

But if I loved my favourite sport plus the two major incidental advantages already mentioned, I would be overcome with joy and happiness  this time

Yet all through the season all I see are folk that appear to be having really awful times  :)

I am a genuine seeker of enlightenment here not having a go  :)

• Like 2

Yep, Alex's theory goes out of the window for us as I love fishing as much as my other half (I'm better at it too  :naughty: ), the attraction for me is mostly just being around water whether it be a beautiful lake and of course anywhere in Broadland, yes having a drink or two, getting a tan and if the odd fish comes along then that about tops it for me, if I don't catch anything (unheard of  :naughty: ) it's a nice day out just the same. Even if it rains we have the huge umbrellas with sides, pink wellies on, what's not to like lol. The only thing I won't do is put worms on my hook, anything else maggots included not a problem but worms yuk.

Grace

• Like 5

I must admit (not offence intended) I don't quite get those fisherpeople who sit in the rain on a stool watching the float all day.. :summertime:

For me (as in my earlier) post.. It's an excuse to do nothing.. drink :wasted: ... and watch what others are doing.. :nosey:

It can be a tad inconvenient when the fish catches itself (I've certainly not caught it as I have no idea how to fish and most of the time the bait on the hook has come off a long time earlier!) as then i have to do something, although I generally shout at someone else "The pole thing is moving on it's own again :shocked" .

Very rarely do I try.. although that's normally before the drink kicks in but then I hook one after the after so I'm quickly bored..

Enjoy the fishing all... We will probably make a start in a few weekends.

cheers

• Like 3

For a start I don't sit on a stool but a very nice comfy fisherpersons chair lol, your post reminded me of when I first started fishing and the pole thingy as you describe it started shaking when I hooked quite a big fish, panic like you wouldn't believe, I thought I was going to end up in the river lol

Grace

• Like 2

So Peter how did the first session of the season go, any luck?

Yes and no!

Pike have been a lifelong passion for me so as the tide and prime feeding spell coincided it was them that I was after this morning, using various lures, hunting my prey. Two small pike landed and two small pike lost in two and a half hours, not good by any stretch of the imagination. I had a couple of breaks during the day but this evening my luck changed, this time I was after roach, my other great passion. I really don't know how many, not a great fan of keep-nets, but it was a lot with the biggest over a pound but most four to eight ounces and all in good condition.

• Like 2

also for the northern Broads fishers out there we have 5 purpose built aluminium fishing boats available from Fineway AKA George Smiths at Wroxham.. very popular so ring Paul to reserve.. 

Chameleon asked what the attraction is, well, it's the meaning of life, plain and simple.

Angling is constant anticipation, you can never be sure what will take your bait or how big, or small, it will be. The world outside that of the angler on the bank becomes inconsequential, the trammels of life are forgotten. 

• Like 1

What I cannot understand, is the length of some of the poles used, you come round a blind bend in a bathtub and you are met by this monstrosity dangling out way past the middle of the river!

Its so nice these days to be able to cruise in the non fishing season.

cheers Iain

• Like 1

From a boating point of view I can see your issue with these 16m black poles poking out from the bank on what is often a dark background of the river. I'm really surprised these don't get broken on a regular basis as most are made of carbon. I've known them to cost well over 2k as well, expensive bits of kit. This may help understand why some are so protective of them when boats pass ;)

From the anglers point of view these are probably the most accurate way to fish on a specific spot or even spots as sections can be removed to fish at different distances. With these poles you can present you bait directly over the spot you've been feeding.

I love both activities and will continue to enjoy both :)

cheers

• Like 1

Steve, why do they go past the middle though? Surely they can get a smaller one and fish closer to their side? 

We had a funny trip last year (or the year before).. we came into one the dykes at Rockland.. (at slow speed).. I saw a head pop up from the reeds followed by a scream and someone running at some distance towards us to the grab the rods positioned in the water.. At the same point point I put the boat in reverse and waited for ... I suspect they was asleep or day dreaming. but they were very good about it and thanked me for stopping (which we did with plenty of distance).. no harm done all part of the fun.. they even offered to buy us a drink for wasting fuel lol

• Like 2