Indulge me please!

Wonderwall

Okay, let's just assume( pretend) that I will scrape under potter bridge early July What should I not miss? It's been many a moon since I have ventured up that way. The wife and daughter like a scenic backdrop to read their books, maybe a walk thrown in. Me and the young lad like to fish , play pool and darts , and of course the nice scenery . Throw in a nice meal and I might never attempt to get back thru it!

Go on, give me your knowledge , you just never know. I might get under! ( I'm on a C40 I believe, from HW)

cheers

See u all soon !!!

• Like 2

Best of luck getting through we are hopeful as well this year, its years since we could with either having wrong boat or just not enough clearance.

It is a lot quiter because not that many can get through and I have been to two pubs on that side, both were very good.

I have mangaed to get through on a cruiser and was also lucky to go down with friends on a hunters sailing boat.

regards

Terry

• Like 1

Fingers crossed you get through! I've only been through a few times so I can't really remember what's up there.

I remember that there is plenty to explore though. 

Horsey windmill(pump) is one must see though, if it's a blue sky it makes for a very pretty picture. You can also take the trek to the beach and see the seals, which although is a trek it's well worth it if it's a warm day, it's a pretty sandy beach and the seals will certainly be about and will be ready to say hello.

You also have the pub at hickling which is well a stop... Other than that it's very natural and you will feel away from it all.. more of a southern broads feeling.

Good luck getting through..  Obviously (if you are on a hireboat) you need to use the pilot to get under the bridge which alone is very very interesting :hardhat:!

cheers

• Like 1

Horsey windpump, sadly, as it's sails off right now. But still worth a visit. 

Walk from here to the beach and Nelson's Head pub. The thatches church at Horsey is also worth a visit.

There is a nature walk around Hickling and also a walk that takes you from Somerton to Martham (and all the way to Oby if you fancy) all along the river. 

Two pubs is Hickling, one at Somerton. Watch the weed in the Thurne around Somerton, it can be challenging. 

A C40 SHOULD fit at low tide. Not uncommon to see them on the wrong side of the bridge. 

• Like 2

Pubs,

Pleasureboat inn Hickling broad, pub right by mooring, good food, good beer/cider. dog friendly

Nelsons head Horsey mere, a longish walk but as above for the rest

Lion, West Somerton, Medium walk,no further info (as yet)

Fishing,

Fish feed well outside licensing hours, other than that I have no idea.

darts and pool... no idea!

Very scenic, the ladies will love it!

• Like 1

One thing that has always stayed with me is the view from Whispering Reeds Yard houseboats area of Hickling Broad. Stunning given the right weather, with a few flappy things :Sailing  on it also. Also, it is a nice walk into the village from the PB Inn staithe.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Can I thank all who have posted here. I am very impressed with the friendliness of this site. It's a pleasant change, not unlike the broads itself in a way!

Oh, and I'm partial to a Stella ,JennyMorgan !!!!!!

Yes, we are a friendly lot, even us Mods ! :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty: Try Leffe Gold it better than any Stella lol

cheers Iain

Seriously though, the whole of the upper Thurne network is a stunning area, with spectacular views across hundreds of acres of wildlife habitat. We love it above PH bridge, but have only been able to get up there twice in the last 18 years, though we did hire an electric dayboat one year,.....it rained too. 

The subject of PH bridge is always a contentious one, some believe it should be left to further sink into the riverbed, thus restricting even small boats, and those (like me) who think the bridge should be re-built on a more solid foundation, with an airdraft of 7ft 6ins ahw, and a slightly wider apperture.  That way, you will still be restricting a large number of boats, but those that were ORIGINALLY designed to pass under it will once again be able to do so.

As well as west Somerton, Hickling and Horsey, there`s also Waxham new cut, though probably only navigable by boats under 30ft long and 9ft wide, and also Catfield dyke, leading to Catfield staithe. Above PH bridge is possibly the best area to really be "away from it all", with very little traffic noise etc which you can sometimes get in the more popular areas. The only problem is that damned bridge.

• Like 1

Can I thank all who have posted here. I am very impressed with the friendliness of this site. It's a pleasant change, not unlike the broads itself in a way!

Oh, and I'm partial to a Stella, Jenny Morgan!

No white socks though?

Seriously, Wonderwall, it's a different world above that bridge. Not everyone's cup of tea in that it is a far cry from the maddening crowds. I never cease to be fascinated by Hickling & Horsey, I hope that you make it. It really is a magical waterland up there.

• Like 4

I would not recommend Waxham cut at the moment.  I was up there in a kayak recently and it badly needs weedcutting and or dredging. Once you're 'in', if you're in a cruiser, there's no real chance to turn until after the bridge, and there's a good chance of going aground long before that; if the water is low enough to allow you under PH bridge, it is also low enough to 'beach' you in the cut.

Nelson Head at Horsey, and The Pleasureboat at Hickling (amazing range of local ciders is worth a sample or several) at Hickling are indeed both excellent pubs (under the same ownership), but also consider the Greyhound at Hickling (a 10 minute walk into the village).  I've never been into the Lion at Somerton.  It used to have a reputation as not being up to much, but it has changed hands in the last year or so, and rumour has it that it's improved, but yet to test that out.  

Outside the marked channel on Hickling it can be very shallow - don't go there (it's not like Barton where you can safely go outside the channel almost everywhere).  Go up to the Pleasureboat, moor up, and pop round to Whispering Reeds and hire a canoe to get out to the edges of the Broad, and discover the world of hidden dykes through the reeds and the wildlife that lives there.

• Like 2

I would not recommend Waxham cut at the moment.  I was up there in a kayak recently and it badly needs weedcutting and or dredging. Once you're 'in', if you're in a cruiser, there's no real chance to turn until after the bridge, and there's a good chance of going aground long before that; if the water is low enough to allow you under PH bridge, it is also low enough to 'beach' you in the cut.

Nelson Head at Horsey, and The Pleasureboat at Hickling (amazing range of local ciders is worth a sample or several) at Hickling are indeed both excellent pubs (under the same ownership), but also consider the Greyhound at Hickling (a 10 minute walk into the village).  I've never been into the Lion at Somerton.  It used to have a reputation as not being up to much, but it has changed hands in the last year or so, and rumour has it that it's improved, but yet to test that out.  

Outside the marked channel on Hickling it can be very shallow - don't go there (it's not like Barton where you can safely go outside the channel almost everywhere).  Go up to the Pleasureboat, moor up, and pop round to Whispering Reeds and hire a canoe to get out to the edges of the Broad, and discover the world of hidden dykes through the reeds and the wildlife that lives there.

Thanks for the info, I'm very much not into staying by the rules at all times but I wouldn't dream of straying out of channel markers at anytime !

I've always thought they are there for a good reason and I don't fancy the shame of waiting to get pulled out.

Though mistakes and a good malt do happen!

I wouldn't dream of straying out of channel markers at anytime !

The thing is, that since Barton Broad was dredged some years back, the channel markers there (at least on the main Broad - not so much down the Neatishead arm) have become largely redundant, it is possible - on most parts of the Broad - to get way outside the markers, and almost within touching distance of the reeds, safely. Just watch how close some of the local river cruisers, with quite deep keels, sail to the banks.  However, people then go up to Hickling and assume the same is true there - and come badly unstuck (or more accurately - become badly stuck!).  Of course, John at Whispering Reeds will gladly come out and tow you off - nice little earner :)

Okay, let's just assume( pretend) that I will scrape under potter bridge early July What should I not miss? 

An opportunity to see that rare species the Binoculared Bobble Hatted Hedge Trembler, the most cosseted, protected and dangerous species on the Broads system. The Hedge Trembler is unique in its habit of secluding large areas of water for its own use, turning the water into weed choked swamplands eventually devoid of other wildlife to generate algal bloom or in Cheshire... housing estates. A parasitic species, the Binoculared Bobble Hatted Hedge Trembler lives mainly from what it can filch from the Navicular Temprore. So be careful when you go under that bridge into the Heart of Darkness.  :naughty:

• Like 4

The channel markers on Hickling were originally, so I understand, put in not to keep folk off the mud but to lead them to the staithe & pub which strikes me as being very public spirited. Sailing boats, boats with deep keels, frequently sail well outside the marker posts. Hickling is a huge Broad, easy to get lost on, hence the posts.