Wroxham Bridge ?

BroadScot

Very brave statement Warp. What kind of fruit do you like at your hospital bed? :naughty:

Cannot be MM (Nyx) he is biodegradable or something like that  :angel:

cheers Iain

Tha's nothing! I didn't mention it's probably because certain authorities take our money and won't dredge anything anymore because of the grumpy fishermen or the twitchy ornithomaniacs so the rivers are higher due to them silting up or anything!

I'll go for some apples please - locally sourced of course.

• Like 1

Hi Tim,

I have to be tactful, well sort of at times. Comes with the job. I was meaning his Fish n Chip Engine propellant!  :naughty:

cheers Iain

p.s. I am surprised The Telegraph doesn't go back to pre 63 BC :naughty:

Our beloved Maurice isn't biodegradable, incorrigible is the word I think you're looking for Iain?  :naughty:

Back to that there bridge Swift...can you point me in the direction of some of those surveys as I'm currently writing a paper on historical water levels and the archaeological datum I have indicates very little or no difference in water levels between 63 BC and present levels?

A well put point Timbo.

Can anybody remember Griff Rhys Jones`s programme a few years back called "Rivers" or something close to that?. While he was travelling the rivers of Cambridgeshire and East Anglia, he did a report on an ongoing study by one of the Cambridge Universitys where they were measuring over many many years how the whole of the East Anglian land mass is slowly sinking. I can`t remember the ins and outs, but they had a scientific measuring device (a pole with marks and graduations on it) placed very deep into the ground, and measured its change of depth every year. It was staggering to see how much the land structure had sunk in as little as 50 years.

Another programme was "Coast" with Neil Oliver. He went on a dive in the North sea with a grouop of scientists . They were a long distance offshore, and the depth was`nt very deep, and they actually showed tree stumps several fathoms down.  What a lot of people don`t know is that several thousand years ago, the North Sea did`nt exist, it was just a small estuary which throughout time has grown to a large see due to the land mass sinking due to the continuous movement of the planets structure. This is more than likely the reason why the East Coast region is continually sinking, and the Western Coasts are gradually rising out of the sea.

A lot of people like to quote so called (and possibly bogus?) "FACTS" because it suits their argument and purpose. I however would much rather believe scientific facts rather than political fiction., and as for my thoughts on Potter Heigham  (and other broadland bridges) being "Tedious", tough, i`ve got just as much rite to post my thoughts on this forum as much as you, but if you care to read back through your posts, or anybody elses for that matter, you`ll notice i DONT make any PERSONAL or sarcastic comments just because they disagree with mine. If you think my views are tedious ...............

DON`T READ THEM.

It is all the fault of Scotland! If they had held onto their 2km of ice 12000 years ago, they would not be rising and SE England sinking.

Seriously the land mass is sinking but tidal flow changes can also drive water further up the system. I am sure the flow through Ludham Bridge is stronger than a few years ago.

It is all the fault of Scotland! If they had held onto their 2km of ice 12000 years ago, they would not be rising and SE England sinking.

Seriously the land mass is sinking but tidal flow changes can also drive water further up the system. I am sure the flow through Ludham Bridge is stronger than a few years ago.

Quite so Chris,  with land mass gradually sinking, river levels will get higher, which in turn means MORE water coming in, resulting in faster water running through the constant width or lessening opening of a bridge with an arch.

For the loveaduck whats our guid Scottish water to do with Wroxham Bridge? Its ICELAND's fault, its got nowt to with up here :norty:

I go 110% with Swift the Ex Bridge Pilot, he will know the river levels a lot better than we will IMHO. 

cheers Iain.

Actually Iain is correct...its nothing to do with our Jockanese speaking neighbours. It's all that loot being collected by the chinless and brainless in Westminster and the City, as they strip the nation's assets and hoard it, that's slowly tipping the Witches Pig back leg first, into the Channel.  :naughty:

• Like 1

My first visit to the Broads was back in 1996. We took Gracious Girl through under Wroxham Bridge and on down to Coltishall - it didn't seem to be anything too extraordinary but then we were complete novices and everyone else seemed to be doing it too. Coming back later in the day we did err on the side of caution and thought the bridge height might be a bit too close for comfort so moored up and came back through the next day.

Since coming back three years ago we haven't done that stretch of river because we haven't wanted to bother about mooring up and getting the pilot on board, not to mention the added expense of doing so. But as we have a full week on the north next year rather than just a short break, perhaps it is something we will do.

• Like 1

I think it's worth the cost and using the Pilot to be honest, the run through Belaugh and up to Coltishall is magical in my opinion, we've even tied to trees so we could spend nights on that stretch, even sat outside until at least 2am to make it last as long as we could until eventually had to get some sleep lol

A very warm welcome aboard by the way :wave

Grace

• Like 1

, we've even tied to trees so we could spend nights on that stretch, even sat outside until at least 2am to make it last as long as we could until eventually had to get some sleep lol

A very warm welcome aboard by the way :wave

Grace

What no wine Gracie, and not even a mention of a glass or three!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John :wave ,

Alan (Runworthbreeze) is partly right, there is no way you will get under Wroxham Bridge, but what we do is book a moorings at Wroxham Hotel and then book a day boat to take us down to Coltishall. Ludham Bridge is a lot different, because it is not arched, but flat and we got under at 8ft 3ins which was not even low tide. Our boat is 8ft 6ins windscreen up. :bow

Regards

Marina  :Stinky

Ludham Bridge is rated as 8' 6" at average high water so should not be a problem most of the time.

The only time you will get under Wroxham Bridge will be just moments before a Tsunami hits the Broads!

Iv'e personally not seen above 7' 8" at Wroxham but have been told it has shown 8' at some time!