Someone to reupholster cabin headlining

Wildfuzz

Stuart I am not sure what sort of lighting you have currently, perhaps a couple of florescent strip lights - but on Broad Ambition we use the recessed down lights. There should be plenty of room between the headlining board to have such fitted, then instead of the power hungry and hot 20w halogen, we use 4w LED replacements that are sealed in silicone (so no moisture can get to the electronics) and these have proven to be very reliable, cool running and use very little power.

They are an exact swap for the same light output and colour temperature of a traditional halogen lamp too.

As for 'ambient light' many people use LED Tape lights - these you can cut every third LED and have a self adhesive backing tape to fit them in place.  I've linked to ones that are suitable for outdoor use but when cutting to length always be sure to seal the connection so no corrosion can creep in and track up the copper track.

These will run on 12v, but they like a nice smooth power supply - not 11.5 then 14v and so on as you often get on a boat when engine is running or not, so a Buck Converter is perfect - you feed in one voltage and out the other side comes a smooth very precise voltage.

Some links:

Downlight.png.2ee9f59cf9c98701038fdc6e1eac9be8.pnghttp://amzn.eu/6DIb49Z 

58b591e1f3287_LEDBulb.png.4870ddb2a1f5957903197e01e93a0eeb.pnghttp://amzn.eu/bZxN3wu 

58b591e00a848_ledtapelight.png.4cff82b99b6176ccd467c4f78dfe6508.pnghttp://amzn.eu/hh8gke0 

58b591e0b1af3_buckconverter.png.5396d4edfa98496dd504989d4de1a9bd.pnghttp://amzn.eu/6QMKliw 

@Johnb: The converter is not needed for the downlights with the LED bulbs - these have a wider operating voltage and are COB (Circuit On Board) LED's which have coped just fine on Broad Ambition.  These 4w versions are, I think the highest output you can get in this style and that is pushing things anyway so far as heat dissipation from the LED Chips.  You will find this style in 2w but commonly in a 3w bulb. After experimenting I found these gave the best like for like look and feel of the Halogen power hungry bulbs they replace.

The converter I'd use for the LED tape light though.  The reason being that this may be of differing lengths, have its own voltage drops along it and be more subject to issues from voltage spikes - one length might be ok with 14v but a short length may not be, for example.  So it can't be too bad of a thing to supply a steady voltage.

Broad Ambition is now fully LED, from her navigation lights to interior and it makes a great difference to power consumption. If you however might want something even brighter - maybe to have on when reading or for dinner time you might like to use one of these http://amzn.eu/d9NH3VJ  They can be bought in 6w to 18w versions and provide an astonishing amount of light.  We use a round one on Broad Ambition with a temporary fixing when needed. We do run ours with the supplied driver off out mains inverter.

Robin, Re. The wide ducting in coach roofs and overhead racks, I once extracted 10,000 Benson and Hedges from a 'booze and baccy cruise's coach. Each of the 500 packets had been taped together and fed up the vent ducting - must have taken hours!

• Like 2

Well has a pleasant couple of hours Saturday putting the wood and window trims in, cabin looks very plush now, I stuck with the original ceiling light as opposed to the LED mood lighting, couldn't face altering everything around after such a good job had been done on the headlining. Even ordered a 12v vac to keep it in tip top condition.

Capture.JPG

I will get her finished (the boat not Gracie) and fire up the Ipad at the weekend, the little vac turned up yesterday, I have to say it is ideal for boats and cars, compact and bijoux. Perhaps Mrs W. will clean her car out now!!!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

the little vac turned up yesterday, I have to say it is ideal for boats and cars, compact and bijoux.

Fine, but does it have much 'suck' ?  In the past these 12v vacuum cleaners make noise and drain the boats batteries but do little in the way of actual cleaning. How well does the Black & Decker perform?

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Fine, but does it have much 'suck' ?  In the past these 12v vacuum cleaners make noise and drain the boats batteries but do little in the way of actual cleaning. How well does the Black & Decker perform?

The B & D dustbuster shown is a fantastic piece of equipment. We have 2, one at home and the other on the boat. They have terrific 'suck' and get into all corners and the little brush on the end comes in very useful. There is also a crevice tool with the most recent model - that is the one shown in Wildfuzz's picture. They are easy to empty too. Not cheap but well worth every penny. 

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, vanessan said:

The B & D dustbuster shown is a fantastic piece of equipment. We have 2, one at home and the other on the boat. They have terrific 'suck' and get into all corners and the little brush on the end comes in very useful. There is also a crevice tool with the most recent model - that is the one shown in Wildfuzz's picture. They are easy to empty too. Not cheap but well worth every penny. 

Well a quick trip to the Staithe last night and I tried out the little vac as vanessan says its a good bit of kit. Now don't get me wrong its no Dyson or GTECH however it has plenty of power and coped well with all the carpet debris, dust and fluff from the new headlining. Also managed to find half a pint of last years caster in the bottom of a locker and they all disappeared up the spout to.

So for boats with no access to 240v its a great addition, small enough to be stowed on board, easy to empty and clean and certainly reaches the parts a brush and dustpan cant!

• Like 2