England Are for now Doing Pretty Good Huh? Oh Dear!

Hylander

Stuart Broad will usually produce one match winning, or at least match changing performance during a test series. He's not been at his best for the last couple of years, largely down to injury but he's someone you'd have in your test side. I watched Willis take 8/43 at Headingly in that great test of '81, still the best test I have ever seen and have always rated that as the best bowling performance I ever saw. Willis was a man possessed that day. Totally focused on taking wickets. He wanted nothing to do with anyone else on the pitch. When fielders tried to congratulate him he turned away and started walking back to his mark (which for big Bob was a long walk, he ran in from the boundary almost). His eyes were like the proverbial wee wee holes in the snow. He was on another planet that day.

Broad's approach was very different but that performance is right up there.

• Like 2

I was on the beach, well the pebble stones at Weymouth and our hotel owner came over and said i'm opening the bar early, I feel a win coming on!. Us men did the dutiful thing, and left the wives on the pebble beach!  :naughty:  Agreed Paul, that Willis eight for was awesome! :clap

cheers Iain.

Just an aside, a Bill Frindall moment. The last time Australia were bowled out before lunch on the first day of a test match, W.G. Grace made 66 leading Englands reply, which totalled 292 and there were five balls per over.

I went to Morrisons just after England had won the toss.     Came home via some three way roads works in Beccles.    Our lot never moved for 20 mins, then that is another story.  By the time I got in , the Aussies were almost all out.

I shall settle down and watch what happens this afternoon.    

btw, well done to whoever is keeping the thread title updated, almost a full time job that., are, were, are ... what comes next

Guilty Paul, tis I :oops:  I agree..WHAT does come next!  Tie the Kangeroos UP Sport?  :naughty:

cheers Iain

Great credit to the England cricketers. I didn't this series was a foregone conclusion but I thought it would be an uphill struggle. In the end they have destroyed Australia. I certainly never saw that coming. Cook has struggle for form and he and Bell are still looking very scratchy but they have grafted through.