Wrong turning at yellow post

diastar

Indeed there will always be "someone" for various reasons valid or otherwise who would not be deterred, however if the signs were placed on alternate markers as per Robins comment then people would have numerous and adequate warnings / info and then be able to act accordingly. This is I feel would sort out the majority

Regardless of whether it is viewed as stupid or not the fact is it has happened ..... surely the best thing to do is to determine,  from those concerned, why it happened.

...... Then, if necessary, the signage can be amended accordingly.

• Like 1

Having thought about this, the problem with the Broads is the only familiar signage that many a boater would immediate recognise are the speed limit signs for these are identical to those found on the roads.  I believe these were chosen to be as they are and in MPH originally so that people would find them familiar and not need to work out knots etc.

That be as it may, every other sign I can think of relies a lot on text and they are not uniform.  Take the sign at Norwich Yacht Station showing limit of navigation for hire craft is nothing like the one at Yarmouth.

So I think clear, pictorial signs are the way to go (the waterskiing signs are a good example.)

It would be relatively inexpensive to add signage to the channel posts on Breydon Water for boats to know to stay ‘this side’ of the posts – as it seems after the event there are many reasons given but often it is confusion on where the channel is and what side to stick to.

Same at Haven Bridge – a clear pictorial sign that people recognise as a sign instructing them and not just a large panel of text – us humans do more on habit than anything else, so seeing something we are familiar with which contains an instruction is likely to cause more reaction and abeyance than a sign saying the same which is not familiar.

Bridges too – why do railway bridges have height warning’s but bridges on the Broads do not then we ask how could such and such a boat ever try and get under.

These are questions the Broads Authority should be asking not a Forum and it again makes me wonder how ‘joined up’ thinking goes as to signage and warnings for boaters generally.

post-534-0-72515600-1438004840_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-02353300-1438004855_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-68906000-1438004973_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-64192500-1438004984_thumb.jpg

Unbelievable, you would have thought that big old ship would have been a bit of a give away  :rolleyes: Can you imagine the conversation........husband at the helm calls over to wife, points at big ship " The size of these ruddy hire boats nowadays, can you imagine how much that would cost to hire?" lol  :naughty:

Grace

I believe that ruddy great big red hire boat is "Rover" Grace or if not one of its sister ships. I used to take its skipper back to it after leave in late 90's and early 00's ............... Had a great chef at that time

Charlie

• Like 1

You can put up as many signs as you like, but people will still make mistakes.  As an example, if you step outside the Broads for a moment, every year there are instances (often caught on video) of people travelling the wrong way up a motorway.  With the amount of signage, and even the way that entrance and exit lanes are set up to send you in a particular direction, you'd think this impossible, but it happens nonetheless.

Bridges too – why do railway bridges have height warning’s but bridges on the Broads do not then we ask how could such and such a boat ever try and get under.

attachicon.gifMax Height.jpg

attachicon.gifSign 2.jpg

attachicon.gifWorxham Bridge.jpg

attachicon.gifMoor Agaisnt.jpg

The difference with road signs giving height warnings regarding low bridges is that on the road those heights are constant, whereas on the Broadland rivers the heights depend on the state of the tide and other factors.  You can't have a blanket sign that says the clearance is 'x feet' because in an hours time it will be different.

• Like 1

Charlie

Its one of the Skandi offshore multi function offshore support vessels by the looks of things I have audited a few of these for clients

cheers

Ray

Yes i'm sure thats who "Rover" belonged to..............it used to have a pair of very fast ribs it could deploy quickly in an emergency, also retrieve rig anchors if needed to.  Also used to dock in Norway at times as well. (Peter Corbet was the skipper)

Charlie

Actually you could have a sign saying – as one of my examples did ‘max’ and then the height. 

This would (at Ludham bridge for example) have ‘max 8'  4”’ – this of course is sometimes exceeded, but would mean the majority of new hirers would think twice and be more cautious. They know the sign as it is common to see on railway bridges, and if their boat was to be 8ft 6” on their dash it would (or should) trigger a cautious approach.

My point is to make people think and then react not just turn up at a bridge and think ‘it will be ok’ and then find half way through it is not ok at all and be stuck, along with causing expense damage to their boat.

Perhaps the best example is the one I used for Wroxham Bridge – no ambiguity about it nice and clear and stands out.

I believe such a system needs to be thought out across the fleet of hire boats regardless of by which yard to have standardized on dash notices in the same font and style.  TO have one single notice that covers in very simple terms the height of the boat and what bridges it will not pass under with a pictogram of a bridge that should stand out at all times.

Right then, let me get this right, there was this hire boat that fancied a wee look at BIG boats in Gt Yarmouth, and was told yer not on, go back where you belong, aye anno, but rools are rools. :norty:

However it has been noticed there is a possible lack of signage, or maybe not. Where was SOB ? Thought I would just throw that into the mix as well :naughty: . Anyway the BIG boat is well kent to certain forum members, and that's why ladies and gents, I love this forum so much. Can we go OFF Topic or what! :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

As Robin has stated the point is to get people to think more and to make them aware. Simplification of signs,  placed sufficiently frequently for major issues, and  well in advance  using pictures where possible (speak  more than a thousand words etc etc) does that.               If the Hire yards could buy into  this concept and they saw a little less cost involved in damage/recovery/ possible lost holiday of next hire group   I am sure that this could quickly pay for itself once set up. Equally so any potential new hirers might be less put off by all the negative  coverage generated each time .      

As a follow on to Robin's idea they (BA) could use the blue signs with arrows to show keep left or right. These could be fitted to the channel marker posts on Breydon etc and guide people in the right direction.

The red and white "No Entry" sign could also be used at the appropriate points.

These are signs that are recognised all over the world so may be helpful and prevent someone saying " I didn't know what it meant as I cannot read English"

Jeff