Wrong turning at yellow post

diastar

I think there are a few around this weekend,this afternoon we were heading down the cut on our way back to Brundall.There was a large hire boat trying to turn around,going past the marker posts.As we got close I sounded the horn,and toad  them to stay inside the past incase you get stack.They replied we are not novices,we know what we are doing.Perhaps its something in the water.

Ian

The boat we saw turning in the cut was one of poor Pauls from Alphacraft :River Police. Mirage is not one of his smallest fleet. Still we could not understand what they were doing  :shocked .

Regards

Marina  :Stinky

Nice ones, Dave, especially the brown one!

Over the years several hire boats have headed off to the sea, one famously arrived at Southend!

A couple of years ago we were at the Gt Yarmouth Maritime Festival and a hire boat went through bridge, heading for the sea, with a BA Ranger in hot pursuit! I wonder just how often it happens.

• Like 4

Or just 'The Broads'.

Apparently the good Doctor has taken to referring to our Broads as Lakes, unfortunately forgetting that The Broads is The Broads, unique in Britain, our heritage.

Is he also referring to Whitlingham Broad as a gravel pit? :naughty:

Is he also referring to Whitlingham Broad as a gravel pit? :naughty:

Or even a gravel lake?

For those who don't know our Broads are, or were, medieval peat diggings. On the other hand the Whitlingham Redundant Gravel Pits are just that, they are NOT broads! It might only be an annoyance to us locals but this watering down of the area's identity, our heritage, by the Doctor is growing tiresome. The Broads are The Broads, they are not lakes, nor are they a national park, once again they are The Broads, they are what makes the area what it is. 

• Like 3

Would be interesting to know what has prompted a conscious effort for him to refer to them as Lakes ? Does he  have an ambition  for  his organisation to  hence forth  be known  as the Lakes authority or the NLA ? 

What about using the same system they put on shopping trolleys now to stop people pinching them?

If you go outside the markers on Breydon or past the yellow post at Yarmouth the engine stops and the rudder locks! 

Hmm maybe not, but that would scare the living poop out of you and you wouldn't do it again. :naughty:  :naughty:

I wouldn't think the CEVNI signs would help much as they are probably more confusing than the ones that are there now. And don't forget most places in Europe where they use these you would probably have to have passed the exam to skipper a boat there. 

I think Robin makes some good points in that as no one needs to take a test or have any experience, keeping them simple and similar to stuff they see every day might help.

But as commented there will always be idiots or people who don't read or see the signs. :swordpir:

(but we can get it raised for us nice Southerners to go North).

Hmm but I think we will need a passport and pay a small fee.. this will give us the ability to second question whether we really want to do something so silly... :huh:

Hmmm, well I am one of the nasty people of the hirer variety, Mark and Alan have you got your coats, if not I can get them for you  :taunt: If you see  :gracie: coming towards you on the rivers, batten down your hatches and hide in your bunks, cos that will be me and I will seek you out and hunt you down lol

Grace

• Like 3

Grace that isn't going to be much of a game of hide an seek if you know we will be in our bunks?

Off course as a forumite  (with a burgee surely?) and as a fellow fisher person I will arrange a suitable discount for you - just dont catch anything bigger than me :arms: (mind you that would be a really big fish to be bigger than me!!!!). :taunt: :taunt:  back. Fish2

• Like 2

Mark... I know her weakness  :Sailing all we need to do is stay in front of a tacking rag and stick boat she has no chance of catching us.. Perhaps we could give the amateur sailing club or beccles a call, they are really good at tacking down there.. we could pay them to play outside GYYS then she really will have no chance!  :Sailing  :Sailing  :Sailing  :Sailing  :Sailing  :Sailing  :Sailing  :Sailing  :Sailing  

• Like 3

Dave, quite right but I'm not sure that it is a once in a blue moon occurrence, just that it hit the headlines this time.

I do think that a turn right only sign for hire craft exiting the Bure wouldn't go amiss though, in English & Norfolk. 'Tarn yew roight roight hair bor', read slowly, in a sing song manner with a rise at the end of it.

I think your all going over the top here, how many boats transit GY each year? Thousands probably, this is the 1st time that most of you will ever have heard of a boat going the wrong way so why all this ponitification. Some one made a mistake, it happens it always will. The vast majority have no problem adhering to the current sign and instructions so why spend yet more Toll payers money to cure a problem that don't exist. 

I know, while we are making the new signs why don't we have them done in English, Welsh, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Kurdish, Urdu, Russian, Bulgarian... just in case. Get real folks you can't legislate for evey possible eventuality, if it were happening on a weekly basis, yes do something if it is as in this case a once in a blue moon occurance, leave it be.

Oh by the way, I'll have a chicken Curry and a pint of Wherry!

Dave cheers

Hey sir. What about a scottish sign

" nae radgies past here" :-)

Apart from that, a very sensible post. Folk getting their knickers in a twist over a rare numpty.

• Like 2