Searching for a new boat

MrPlant

Hi Mr P.... I believe that the s37 was sold about 3 weeks ago and his new boat is in the new pontoon moorings (a westward bath tub).

At the time of us getting our (broom 34 sedan....1st boat as you come into the marina from the river on the right) we looked at various boats of all shapes,sizes and configurations.

If you fancy a nose around ours give me a shout or just pop across when your about.

Hi Broadland Lady, will be down at the weekend and might just take up your offer thankscheersbar, went on a 34 sedan last weekend, like a floating cottage with those big rear doors, quite stunning really. But think we will need a little more length with 3 kids, grandparents and dog:shocked

I can browse the menu Mark, but my money is going into a nice woody - that sounded a bit rude, I mean If I came into some money then, oh gawd that was not much better...I'll stick to letting someone else have the Fairline and I'll stick to rubbing down my wood with some urm sandpaper.

• Like 10

I would have a Wherry if I was a very wealthy person, oh yes indeed!

Obviously biased here in favour of rag 'n' stick, but stinky-wise, I don't think Hamptons or Hardys could be left out of consideration.....we could tow a saily ..... :)

Speaking from experience Im not sure I would want another sporty boat for the Broads.

Always felt it was like driving a Ferrari round a car park........and that cant be good for those big engines!

Plus with the planning hull you were forever correcting the steering.

I'm MUCH happier with a boat that was designed for the Broads and built on the Broads.

Engine sits quite happily all day at low revs, set the rudder straight, go make a brew and its still going in a straight line!:dance

The Connoisseurs are a good proposition IMHO. Very strong, well-built and able to navigate most of the bridges on the Broads. Yes, they're a bit noisy, especially the older ones, but that can be easily sorted. A lot of boat for the money.

If we ever decided to swap, the Connoisseur would be very high on our list as would the Sheerline 950 centre-cockpit.

I was fortunate enough to look through one of the first ever Connoisseurs the original 37ft version in 1979, Even then before the longer version, you were hiring a lot of boat for your money. The only draw back to me, is the entering and leaving by the port stairs door.

As Swift the Ex PIlot has said many times, the bigger one fits through that arch at PH surprisingly well. Tides permitting.

cheersIain.

• Like 1

I see "New boat forces reluctant sale" what did you buy Mr Plant?? 

Not ''bought'' as yet, but have 2 / even 3 we 'would' purchase once we get the sale on the bayliner, should have worded it 'potential' new boat forcing sale, as you will all know it's a waiting game when you are trying to sell.

As soon as everything come together we will keep you all posted :dance

• Like 1

yer now the boat when yer see it get one that you want rite or rung yer soon find ooot

lots to choose from and look out of county or even a broads yer need an expert ............ex ....pert .......

was a drip ..........!!!!

not an arm chair dribbler to tell you it made avidoe off it aknd all that ole pony ............

just ask ..................................

happy boating ...!

We've had both and I still think it's horses for courses. At the time we finally decided to leave the sea we were moored at Goodchilds, very convenient for either Broads or the sea.

Our 24ft, 200bhp, single-engine Beneteau was quite adequate to take us directly across to Holland or wherever a couple of times a year and we did use her quite extensively on the Broads, North and South. (She had an air-height of 8ft 3ins).

BUT............  just look at those sides.. no sort of rubbing strake anywhere and the number of marks and scrapes we received during our last cruise North were just too many, hence Friday Girl 4

Also a damned sight more comfortable!   cheersbar

FG4 + FG3.jpg

• Like 2

Did you safe enough having a single engine doing that crossing John? People always say to me you must have twin engines if you want to do any serious sea passages for obvious reasons.. We are on the hunt for a decent cruiser to replace the houseboat and I've kinda put off Single engine boats.. Interested to hear thoughts cheers 

I guess you have to draw up the ol balance sheet for and against.

There are a hell of a lot of situations where twins may not help, dirty fuel and a string of lobster pots for instance.

But overall twins must provide a better margin of safety if you are prepared to pay double the servicing costs. I would rather go with one well maintained engine than two scimped ones.

And when it comes to replacement! Second mortgage time.

Just my musings...