Searching for a new boat

MrPlant

Hi:wave

Some of you will know we are currently looking at changing our boat for a slightly larger one with more room for the kids, 2/3 seperate cabins etc. Been looking at forward drive alpha's, a couple of alpha centre cockpits, old connoisseur's and a few others, approx 40-44ft.

Although these boats are perfect for the broads I cant help but looking at more ''modern'' sporty costal boats again Arrrhhh!!!! :naughty::Stinky Must be the 8 year old boy in me:naughty:

Moored a few up from ours at the boatyard is a sealine s37, everytime I drive in she stands out from the rest, keep looking out for the owner to have a chat but never anyone there...

Anyone on here have any experiences with cruising the S37 on the broads, twin diesels...

I suppose it depends on how you intend to spend your time on the Broads.

If you use the Broads as a base with occasional salty trips then the above druel inducing vessel would be great.

However if you intend to stay in the Broads then I would choose an older Broads friendly cruiser. I say this as within the confines of the Broads you are bound to encounter contact from novice crews, with possible damage.

However if image is important to you (and for some this is a very important requirement) then I guess you already know what you want.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on how you intend to spend your time on the Broads.

If you use the Broads as a base with occasional salty trips then the above druel inducing vessel would be great.

However if you intend to stay in the Broads then I would choose an older Broads friendly cruiser. I say this as within the confines of the Broads you are bound to encounter contact from novice crews, with possible damage.

However if image is important to you (and for some this is a very important requirement) then I guess you already know what you want.

Good luck with your search.

Agree with everything you have pointed out.

Useage - would be weekends on the Northern broads, couple of weeks cruising full broads and I would LOVE to go out at least a few times a year, but being bases northern broads its quite a cruise down to yarmouth before getting out.

Image - everyone likes smooth stylish lines:naughty:

Damage - yes I will admit that, I cringe everytime a big 40ft hire cruiser trys to moor in the 35ft space in front of us now, but I also fully understand that this is what the broads is about and we used to be that crew, so I try not to worry ''to much'' Only thing that angers me is big groups who dont give a **** about the hire company boat or private boats and think its 'funny' about crashing, just no respecttwo guns

My brain says go with the broads cruiser

My heart says go with the sporty looking totally unpractical beauty:naughty:

Go for the Connoisseur's!! They have very thick hulls(I'm told) and seem

almost bullet proof. They go under all the bridges, at suitable times, and 

still look good after all these years. We hired one in 2007 and thought it 

was great. Only downside was the lack of a silencer which an owner could

fit themselves and please everyone :dance

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so too, may I suggest, is image! Probably more than a few sportsboat owners who wouldn't be seen dead on a sailing boat, and, dare I say it, quite a few WAFI owners who wouldn't be seen dead on a sports cruiser! Funny old world, different folk liking different things/boats!

I wouldn't dream of having a decent sports cruiser on the broads it's not the place. For the broads you need a broads cruiser, built like a russian lada as so it can defend itself from the attacks from hireboats and inexperienced privateers. 

It needs to be a single tiny baby engine with maximum fuel efficiency as so you can get out and cruise about to which is what the broads is all about and ideally be short enough to get under the bridges away from the world.

You will be too afraid to take a decent boat out, big engines will quickly glaze over, the planning hull is a right handful on the confined spaces on the broads.  They don't make "Broads cruisers" for nothing!

Friends of ours have a searay sundancer 34. twin 360hp petrols and have it in the best place posible;... the Greek islands.. that's the place for such boats ;) 

Good luck with your search.. cheers 

• Like 5

Not so long ago I watched an ungainly convoy of sports cruisers on the Beccles river, everyone going crabwise as the helmsmen compensated for the wind. I agree with Alan, sport cruisers were never designed for the Broads. A wherry would be my first choice, only I can't afford it!

• Like 1

A 38/40ft Centre Cockpit, can pass under most bridges, nice big saloon and seperate cabins, two shower/toilets (I know, I know, Heads lol) and on a lovely summers day, roof back for some outside cruising and topping your tan up at the same time, heaven, that will be my Boat one day, might have to knock the shopping trips on the head first though lol

Good luck with whatever you go for :wave

Grace

Mr P,

I have an S38 and I know a few people with the bigger (S42) and smaller versions (S34) - nice boats. The S37 is quite a sought after boat.

Not sure you will get an S37 through GY without a lot of modifications though so you would be limited to the South. Even an S34 with standard stuff on the roof wont go through Beccles either (we can as we had ours moded).

As they say image or practicality and do you want to hit the seas?

I haven't had a problem bumper boat wise on the South, but the old boat went North once and would never take a boat up there with pristine gel coat!

PM me if you want to have a chat. We are in Brundall.

The nice thing is that we are off to Wells this weekend which we wouldn't be doing on a broads cruiser - swings and roundies.

• Like 1

(we can as we had ours moded).

That pesky mod gets everywhere!

For an excellent family boat without breaking the bank you just wont beat the Connoisseur. Old enough to be very affordable, built like tanks, laid out well (go for the extra cabin with the two bunks in tacked on the back if you can). Yes, some could do with a silencer revision and the steering ram will need an upgrade as the originals are a bit short (if it hasnt already been done of course) but apart from that its a proper bread and butter broads boat.

And you can get under all the bridges...... nuff said!

• Like 1

Mod's someones hacked JanetAnnes profile.. a wooden boat is not going to suggest someone should buy a plastic boat.. :norty::norty::norty: What's up with you JA.. those pesky humans been cutting you away again...  

(P.s can we see some pictures of your refurb? I need reminding of how easy our work still is ;) ). 

• Like 1

Mod's someones hacked JanetAnnes profile.. a wooden boat is not going to suggest someone should buy a plastic boat.. :norty::norty::norty: What's up with you JA.. those pesky humans been cutting you away again...  

(P.s can we see some pictures of your refurb? I need reminding of how easy our work still is ;) ). 

Alan, the original poster was looking for a boat to use rather than one to spend many hours on in a vain hope of trying to get some use from it  (hehe)

• Like 1

Not so long ago I watched an ungainly convoy of sports cruisers on the Beccles river, everyone going crabwise as the helmsmen compensated for the wind. I agree with Alan, sport cruisers were never designed for the Broads. A wherry would be my first choice, only I can't afford it!

My first choice would be a 25ft Norfolk Smuggler from Neil Thompson at Glandford.

But like you Peter, .can't afford one! They are now £122500 basic and ypu can add another ten grand by the time you are on the water. A lot of money for 25ft.

Cornish Crabber is cheaper, but they are not put together like the Norfolk range.

I've been watching this Fairline 50 slowly fall in price - http://www.nya.co.uk/fairline50-1-for-sale.html - and if I had that sort of money I would snap it up - I mean it even has a two berth crew cabin! Then I'd spend about £6,000 for a nice little weekender boat - something around 17ft -18ft that one can make a coffee on, bung a sleeping bag in and over night on. 

Seriously though if one had this sort of boat and the cash to fuel it - leave the Broads behind, think long weekend trips to Holland etc :)

My first choice would be a 25ft Norfolk Smuggler from Neil Thompson at Glandford.

But like you Peter, .can't afford one! They are now £122500 basic and ypu can add another ten grand by the time you are on the water. A lot of money for 25ft.

Cornish Crabber is cheaper, but they are not put together like the Norfolk range.

Now were getting on the right tack.

Drueling without being showy!!

That pesky mod gets everywhere!

For an excellent family boat without breaking the bank you just wont beat the Connoisseur. Old enough to be very affordable, built like tanks, laid out well (go for the extra cabin with the two bunks in tacked on the back if you can). Yes, some could do with a silencer revision and the steering ram will need an upgrade as the originals are a bit short (if it hasnt already been done of course) but apart from that its a proper bread and butter broads boat.

And you can get under all the bridges...... nuff said!

I do believe JA that Herbert Woods have changed the rudders or something like that on those Connoisseurs. Well so I was told by the lad that showed me over my hire two years ago.

cheersIain

this is an interesting thread :)

I owned two sport boats on the broads, both searays with twin diesels and have now made the switch to a more traditional cruiser (bounty sovereign sunbridge). The reason for the change was not that i found the sport boats impractical .... they require a different handling technique but both went under ludham and yarmouth bridges and could squeeze into the tightest of spaces.... for us it was a change in circumstances in having a baby to consider. I find the space and accommodation of a 6-8 berth 34 foot cruiser much more practical than a 34 foot sport boat.

There are some boats that offer the best of both - e.g. haines 360 with folding arch should drop to 8'3" air draft (i think) but it will be a few more years before they drop into budget range for me!

• Like 1

Hi Mr P.... I believe that the s37 was sold about 3 weeks ago and his new boat is in the new pontoon moorings (a westward bath tub).

At the time of us getting our (broom 34 sedan....1st boat as you come into the marina from the river on the right) we looked at various boats of all shapes,sizes and configurations.

If you fancy a nose around ours give me a shout or just pop across when your about.