Ideas on boat hire

Baitrunner

heres one to get you all thinking and helping me out. 

A mate and I are looking to hire a boat for a long weekend in early March for a spot of pikey fishing and a bit of male bonding!! Ok beer and crisps. 

So we need a boat that can provide more than a double bed, but nothing over the top. 

A good heater would be handy as well. 

Want to do the top end of the north so we want to fish more than we are cruising really. 

We will have our own dinghy as well. 

So any ideas of starting yard and vessels?

Summercraft may be, though for 2 I'm unsure. Martham generally quite relaxed about most things - though be warned that their boats don't suit all tastes! Lovely people and, for me, their woodies are special. For 2 a Judith or Janet would be plenty big enough.

Pike are often gravid by the end of February, I'd go two weeks earlier.

Houseboat at Hickling, good pub, you have the boat, ideal.

Whispering Reeds also do a weekender boat I think, pike have been poor at Hickling though due to the removal of many in the winter/spring. Greyhound pub is excellent...... So I`m toldcheers

• Like 1

'Top end of the north', more than just a bed but nothing too fancy, a good heater too hmm well of course Richardson's springs to mind as they hire out from early March but then I thought about Barnes Brinkcraft - Belmore TC - You've got a separate single berth on the port side, the v berths up front - a very good heating system and absolutely  bags of outside space to put fishing gear and fish from too.

• Like 1

Hi JM, I would love to go a bit earlier, but leave etc restrictions mean we have to leave it to the last knockings.

I have thought of the houseboat option as well especially as we will have our own dinghy. Do you know if there is a slip way there? 

Whispering Reeds have the houseboats and a slipway.

I dry berth there and launch from their slip - nice people and quite easy going.

Regards.

Mark.

• Like 1

Whispering Reeds have the houseboats and a slipway.

I dry berth there and launch from their slip - nice people and quite easy going.

Regards.

Mark.

I go with the above. The dredging issue wouldn't worry me in the least, might even promote feeding. Pike fishing on the Broads as a whole is a shadow of what it was a few years ago. Personally I go to . . . . . . . . . . . . . . now;)

The dredging scheduled for this Winter is apparently the main navigation channel, and most of the shallower sides of Hickling Broad have a firm sandy bottom, (capsized windsurfers are often seen standing at waist depth).

With a dinghy there's always Meadow Dyke and Candle Dyke anyway.....

JM - Aw come on tell??

To be honest I catch a lot more Pike in lakes than on the Broads, but for me a day out in the fresh air pootling around catching nowt is just as good as sitting at the lake catching.

Now if I can get to catch Pike in the dinghy........ Oh what a happy man i will be.

One thing I am finding is a few of the yards mentioned don't hire until after the season ends.

Hi mark

I would definitely go with the Skippers suggestion of Major Gem, one of the best Boats you can get for the price or failing that a simple bath tub like Gold or Amber Gem, a couple of doubles and plenty of room for two men to make a mess lol

Don't knock the Gypsies, I have true Irish Gypsy blood in me, my Great, Great, Great Grandmother lived in a proper Romany Caravan, hence my name Gracie (Irish Gypsy I believe) and very proud, she travelled round Ireland with my Great, Great, Great Granddad and family rumour has it, you wouldn't mess with her or she would give you a huge piece of her mind and a clip round the ear, bit like me lol 

Let us know what you go for Mark xxx

Grace

p.s Jaws, my smiley thinghies have disappeared from the top of the box what have I done now (would have inserted eye roll thinghy but can't)

• Like 3