We Have Turned a Corner

Hylander

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

From today the days are getting longer.    Not long and we will all be out and about again.

:Stinky        :Sailing

Hi Monica,

Six seconds more daylight today was the prediction, it could be far more tomorrow.:naughty:

I saw a flowering cherry tree in blossom today, not seen any daffodils yet maybe in a month or two in our normally colder climate.

I saw the report on the floods again in Cumbria last night and sadly more bad weather is due with the hurricane this evening/tomorrow. I really feel for all of these people effected yet again with the flooding.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, grendel said:

I did spot that some wag in the met office has a sense of humour, calling the storm that is due to arrive the day before Christmas 'Eva'

Is the wag related to a certain Michael Fish??? As its up here that is going to Kop it! As a certain lady said many moons ago..WE are NOT amused!:naughty: Candles at the ready!

xmas6Iain.

• Like 3

Hi Iain,

Why does everybody knock Michael Fish?.  Yes, he said there WAS`NT going to be a hurricane, and guess what, he was RIGHT, there WAS`NT a hurricaine. There was however a severe storm with hurricaine force gusts. To be properly termed a hurricaine, i believe the winds have to blow constantly at over 90mph for a period of half an hour. I may be wrong, but i`m sure that`s what was explained to me after the 87 storm. Even so, there was NO hurricaine in October 87.

6 hours ago, Hylander said:

From today the days are getting longer.    Not long and we will all be out and about again.

:Stinky        :Sailing

Not long, not long?,  Monica, it`s about time you had a good long chat with Howard (Norfolk Nog), or better still, take notice of his superb tale of his VERY recent 2 weeks on one of Bridgecrafts boats.  No need to wait for long daylight hours, all that does is encourage the grockels. I was well and truly awakened to the delights of the Broads out of season last month.

At this years shareholders AGM, i pulled the same early November week for 2016 as we had this year, and to be honest, i`m really looking forward to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Iain,

Why does everybody knock Michael Fish?.  Yes, he said there WAS`NT going to be a hurricane, and guess what, he was RIGHT, there WAS`NT a hurricaine. There was however a severe storm with hurricaine force gusts. To be properly termed a hurricaine, i believe the winds have to blow constantly at over 90mph for a period of half an hour. I may be wrong, but i`m sure that`s what was explained to me after the 87 storm. Even so, there was NO hurricaine in October 87.

Hi Neil,

I was at Norwich Yacht Station the night of the HURRICANE gusts reached 120 MPH from 4.30 am till after 6am I watched trees ripped out ,,,,The Bridge Inn roof made devoid of slates, cars blown across the road. The destruction I saw at the Royal Show Ground the following day was awful. I am use to high winds living where I am..THAT was no normal Gales or Storm that ripped though Norwich and beyond. It took me 17 hours to get home on the Saturday from Loddon.

xmas6Iain

• Like 2

Although winds of hurricane force (12 on  the Beaufort scale) blew that night, the strongest recorded at Gorleston at 121mph the event was not a hurricane. it's correct definition was "Great Storm". Hurricane is the name given to a tropical cyclonic storm originating in the North Atlantic or North Pacific and carries considerably greater rain than we saw that night. The Great Storm was a severe extra-tropical cyclone. 

When Michael Fish said there would not be a hurricane he was absolutely correct. 

Now, who remembers the Great Freeze of 1963?

• Like 1

And whilst I'm in fact mode, not many people appreciate that although we are now passed the shortest day and days are getting longer, mornings will continue to get darker for another two weeks or so. It's normally around the tenth of January that mornings start to get lighter, but is can vary due to the fact that the Lunar day is not precisely 24 hours long, in fact it is slightly different every day

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Although winds of hurricane force (12 on  the Beaufort scale) blew that night, the strongest recorded at Gorleston at 121mph the event was not a hurricane. it's correct definition was "Great Storm". Hurricane is the name given to a tropical cyclonic storm originating in the North Atlantic or North Pacific and carries considerably greater rain than we saw that night. The Great Storm was a severe extra-tropical cyclone. 

When Michael Fish said there would not be a hurricane he was absolutely correct. 

Now, who remembers the Great Freeze of 1963?

My father roasted an ox on Oulton Broad that winter. My friends and I also had barbecues or sat round fires on the ice, singsongs & a pint or two into the early hours. My brother drove his Austin Ruby car up to Beccles one evening. Great memories of being towed on a sled behind a car at some speed up the Broad. I hit a mooring buoy on one occasion, bit dramatic was that! We also chased coypu across the ice as part of the big coypu cull at that time. Several makeshift ice yachts added to the fun.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Hylander said:

You drove a car all the way to Beccles on the ice on the river?    Have you been on the Amber Nectar already?    Can this be so.    Did anyone take any snaps, they would be most interesting.   I cannot wait to hear more.

Hi Monica,

I hope Carol does mind, but here is a link to a feature of the big freeze of 1963 at Oulton Broad.

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2010/12/the-big-freeze-of-winter-1963/

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

After all the stick micheal fish got over that storm it was definately NOT a hurricane, I believe the circumstances that caused the problems have since been named a storm jet and is something to do with upper atmospheric conditions redirecting and amplifying gusts into unexpected places from much milder storms.

However John Kettly is definately a weatherman and so is Ian Mcaskill, I heard it in a song.... (so is Wincie Willis apparently!)

• Like 1

Living in the southeast I was awoken in 1987 by the sound of my roof going to the land of Oz, I also lost my fences, a wall, my neighbour lost the whole gable end wall of their house, the woods out at Meopham lost almost every tree, Sevenoaks lost 6 of the 7 oaks (hundreds of years old), virtually every road was impassable due to fallen trees and all manner of debris, it was a pretty scary experience.

What I am trying to say is give me all the meteorological mumbo jumbo you like, "I was in a HURRICANE"

• Like 2

I can recall going down the garden in the early hours to find my cat. Next door had one of the wind cycles peddling away on the shed roof. That went whizzing past my head just before I found Whisky my cat.

my boss lost the gable end of his house

Thank goodness my dear old dad never saw the destruction of several greenhouses and all of his trees, he died on the 31st October that year.

1 hour ago, littlesprite said:

What I am trying to say is give me all the meteorological mumbo jumbo you like, "I was in a HURRICANE"

You can say you were in a Hurricane, you can say you were in a Spitfire or an F15 for that matter (like the lateral link?), saying it doesn't make it true. It was not a hurricane because a hurricane is a tropical storm, the great storm was not a tropical storm, so not a hurricane. That doesn't mean it was any less severe.

I appreciate many people suffered damage, in fact IIRC 29 people lost their lives in that storm. for several hours I wished I was one of them, being stranded on a mini cruise in the Bay of Biscay. Twice I was thrown out of bed and hit the cabin ceiling. Several passengers had to be stretchered off the ship when we made port in Brest. I have never been so sick in my life.

Still, it was not a Hurricane.