TV Aerial ?!

Hey All,

I need someone who understands the most technically confusing items on earth... TV and TV ariels.. I'm so lost...

The TV has DVBT-2, what on earth is this? (is it sky Freeview or digital TV?) What do we need to have it running on the boat. (It has a normal TV ariel inlet too).. We only have 12v.

(Will this do? http://www.piratescave.co.uk/supergain-ballade-tv-antenna-dvbttnt-235-db.ir)..

I'm so confused with TV's lol 

Merry Christmas y'all.

xmas3

DVBT is the standard format for transmitting free to air digital television, ie Freeview. DVBT-2 is simply the second generation which is capable of carrying more HD TV channels. 

To watch it all you need is an aerial and a tuner. The tuner is already inside your TV so just plug in an aerial and away you go. The one you linked to is fine. Of course the quality of signal you receive will depend on where you are, distance and line of sight to the transmitter etc. In such matters height is king. The higher you can mount the aerial the better.

• Like 1

Alan! if your moored behind the new shed you may have a problem with reception no matter what aerial you use, if you have a word with Alan and Sue on Meander the blue hulled Elysian near you, he has found one he swears by, I've tried all sorts, so far the best one has been the  DM18 Log Aerial from this place http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlineaerials.html#DM18  the only problem is storage and it's directional so if your mudweighting is worse than useless as you have to keep moving it to get a picture, but if your moored up or just in the marina I can't fault it, I've now switched to one of these fitted on a short pole http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxview-Omnimax-Omnidirectional-Mobile-TV-Radio-Aerial-UHF-VHF-FM-Signals-Camper-/400818548212?hash=item5d52a5adf4:g:VqMAAOSwQJhUcHmT  it's not the cheapest but it works everywhere apart from Horning and you don't even have to move it, if you pop over to my boat you can see how it's fitted, I leave mine up all the time and just add a pole when I moor up, I put off buying one for years as a lot of people said they were crap but now the signal has been boosted on the Broads I can't fault it, for the pole extension and clamps I got them from the caravan shop in Yarmouth, the whole kit can out around £100.00 but I've spent much more than that just trying to find the right aerial, and when you have someone like Jude who's addicted to soaps it's worth the money just for the peace and quite,,,,

Frank,,

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Heron said:

If BMW owners were better educated they would be able to work out how to use the indicators!

All BMW's are now being fitted with indicators. They have secured stocks from the Audi production line as Audi no longer fit them.... :naughty:

• Like 1

JA I have to take issue with that post. As a past BMW owner and Audi owner it should be noted that both makes are fitted with stick things on the steering column, but there are non instructions on how to use them and on my cars the stick things have been glued so they don't move. 

I think it is the future if all vehicles. 

• Like 2

We have no room to talk though. Took a family members car in for mot and the tester mentions that the indicators are not working. "Oh yes" she says, "been like it for months. I never used them that much anyway"!! (Ford KA by the way)

• Like 1