Another new Member saying Hi

gadjetuk

Hi, I’m new to the forum. I visited the broads back in 2009 and had booked a weeks boat hire this July and after watching probably all of London Rascals Blogs over the last couple of weeks  couldn’t wait so have also booked a week over this Easter for me and my Son, hopefully the weather will be OK. My daughter and her boyfriend may join us for a couple of days during the week.

Nigel

• Like 6

Hi All :wave, Thanks for all of your welcome messages. I don’t know if this is the place to ask but I have a bit of a plan for the last 2 days of the holiday in July. I see there is power boat racing at Oulton Broad on Thursday 21st July. Questions as follows.

1. Are you able to moor at on Oulton Broad that night (racing at 6pm)?

2. If We did stay at Oulton Broads that night I would need to be around the Horning area on Friday night so I can return the boat back to Wroxham by 9am. I’m quite happy with spending the whole day Friday Cruising (seems to be about 8hrs). The only problem is according to the tide time table Low tide at Yarmouth is 06:13 on Friday. Rhapsody has an air draft of 8’ 3”. So how long after low tide would I be able to pass through Yarmouth?

3. I don’t mind getting up extra early (do plenty of that in my job and Wifey will stay in bed). Bearing in mind that Rhapsody can cruise on electric so is extra quite and sun rise is 04:01, realistically what time can I set off?

I think that’s enough to be getting on with. Got plenty of other questions if that’s OK?:Sailing

Nige

Nige, welcome.

1. Yes, either on a mudweight, best down right side of the Broad as you arrive, just past some house-boats, or at the yacht station, best phone and book, google details.

2. Reckon you'll be okay at least till 7.30 so a five o'clock start would be great, best time of the day.

3. Realistically five o'clock will be perfect, just use the leccy motor as you leave the Broad, don't want to wake us locals up!

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Nige, welcome.

1. Yes, either on a mudweight, best down right side of the Broad as you arrive, just past some house-boats, or at the yacht station, best phone and book, google details.

2. Reckon you'll be okay at least till 7.30 so a five o'clock start would be great, best time of the day.

3. Realistically five o'clock will be perfect, just use the leccy motor as you leave the Broad, don't want to wake us locals up!

Thanks, sounds like a plan

Nige, if it were me I'd leave Oulton Broad on Thursday after the racing and head off up to Somerleyton. Don't know what time sunset is but I'd set off but then I do know of two good off river moorings where you can stop the night if you loose the light. Look out for suitable moorings after Somerleyton as you head for Oulton. Early morning starts, great, the earlier the better!

Thanks again, Have just booked a mooring at the yacht station, very friendly and helpful Lady on the phone. Thought she would laugh at me for booking so far in advance. Can decide on the day whether to stay or start to head back, but at least I know I've got a mooring to watch the action from.

It will be dawn at 03.30 on the Friday, Nige, and Slack Water GH is at 07.15.

I'd reckon on about 3 hours 30 mins from OBYS so you'd do it nicely if you couldn't get away on Thursday evening as Peter suggests. Personally I think there's so much to do in Oulton Broad that I'd stay!

You would then be able to moor up at GHYS for an hour for breakfast until you get a real flood going up the Bure.

You're also on Spring Tides so you won't need a lot of power to achieve 6mph or more (on Breydon).   :wave

• Like 1

I've been watching the speedboat racing for over sixty years and still find it worth turning out for. Just checked the recommended journey time times, 3 1/2 hours. You will need to be under way early or, as I've already suggested, try and get an hour in Thursday evening. You can always phone up the Gt Yarmouth Yacht Station staff for advice nearer the time. I do the journey often enough, it's a good trip, especially when you get the tides right at Yarmouth. You'll have the tide under you, really does help.

I note that you are coming from Exeter. You can now fly to Norwich, £25.00 each way, value!

Hi JennyMorgan, (:ph34r:male of female who knows, good to have a bit of mystery, a bit like Robin's mystery switches he so loves).

Had thought about flying, especially as my step sister works for Flybe, but I don’t mind driving and me and my boy are going to stop off in Coventry on the Friday as he’s car mad and I’ll take him to the Transport museum. Booked a hotel in Coventry that night and then take a leisurely drive to Wroxham on the Saturday.

For our July trip I’m bringing our Dog Poppy:dog: along so Flying is not an option.

Nige