Moorehen 1

derek

Hi Thought I would put a little bit in about my boat, had it since 1991, Its getting an old girl now but still keeps plodding along with its yearly varnish and paint and original engine serviced, she is 68 years old this year same as me but she looks a lot younger than me, I first met her in 1974 when she was called Avalon, and kept in moores wet shed in private hands, while I was working for them and jack powles I have now retired but not using her as much as I would to.but she should be on the Ant or thereabouts 2016 seasonmoorhen-2015-5.thumb.jpg.131b9db2fed023fmoorhen-2015-18.thumb.jpg.2a99b70c8b93admoorhen-2015-42.thumb.jpg.d6eb3e7a013018moorhen-2015-39.thumb.jpg.5db3b64aa37059moorhen-2015-45.thumb.jpg.ace8daa6343e09moorhen-2015-33.thumb.jpg.921f7a05cf57bb 

• Like 16

Love her, right down to the side valve! :wub:

Would you consider bringing her south to the Beccles

Wooden Broads Cruiser Show in August? We would love to have her there.

(Can someone smarter than me put a link in here to the that thread?)

Edited by JanetAnne
Can't spell Beccles
  • Like 1

Hi again

There were only seven Moorhens built for their fleet, mine is the first one it was called avalon at some point then I changed it to original name. One was destroyed by fire a few years ago, One at Dilham under the bridge (Dr Moores), Teroy no 7 was up for sale last year she had a dinnete in instead of two fixed bunks There were two at coxes last saw them out of the water about 6-8 years ago Edward G bear, and jacks old boat which he lived on for a few years

.They did build a small amount for other fleets but not 16 and not to the same standards as their own fleet.I am still in touch with the guy who helped to build mine and went on to be yard manager till he retired a few years ago,

Moorhen 1 was built for the owners of the yard and not as a hire boat so a bit special, Hirers saw it on the yard and wanted to hire it so more were built, No 1 is the only one with original petrol engine all others have diesels, and also have original cooker, water and petrol tanks and engine service/book. and full owners history from when first onto the broads, The boat is now getting to much for me to handle as have a few health problems and I fell in last year so I may have to look for another person who would be prepared to love the boat as much as I have, and enjoy the broads on a classic boat

Derek