Currently Watching Tim & Pru

I've been watching these as well and it does look lovely. Not sure I'd have the confidence to be out on such wide open lakes though.

Digressing just slightly, but it's a similar part of the world... kind of (!), do you remember the gentleman who did some very good Norfolk Broads videos and goes by the username of prsw100 on YouTube? He has recently posted a couple of videos of a visit to Copenhagen with a trip on the canals there too. You will recognise him as soon as you hear his voice.

Expensive it is...and some! Going back decades ago, my mate was over at a Rover/ Jaguar bash. A brandy then was £10.00 a glass, coffee dear also. As he said at the time, he was so pleased it was all on company expenses!

It is though, a lovely place to visit.

cheersIain

We've watch the 1st 2 progs this morning but the comment whilst inside the large lock that only had a little lift she asked why bother with a lock, the look on his face you could see him holding back a comment and 2nd thinking his reply `water doesn't go up hill`.

Lock keeper with his remote control - he'll be out of a job soon it will be bluetooth via your fone next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Siddy said:

We've watch the 1st 2 progs this morning but the comment whilst inside the large lock that only had a little lift she asked why bother with a lock, the look on his face you could see him holding back a comment and 2nd thinking his reply `water doesn't go up hill`.

Lock keeper with his remote control - he'll be out of a job soon it will be bluetooth via your fone next year.

Hi Siddy,

The difference in height was 500mm, I have been through some stop locks where diffence was less than 50mm and you had difficulty getting the gates to stay shut.

As I said yesterday the program was very interesting, it Breydon Water look like a small pond compared with some of the waterways they were crossing.

Regards

Alan 

Sweden and its canals do, indeed, look very interesting. However, as has already been mentioned, it is an expensive place. Also, I heard in another place yesterday evening, they have lots of midges in the summer. On the basis that I have an allergic reaction if an insect so much as looks at me, I will be passing on the experience, I am afraid.

cheers

Steve

On 26 March 2016 at 9:18 PM, SwanR said:

I've been watching these as well and it does look lovely. Not sure I'd have the confidence to be out on such wide open lakes though.

Digressing just slightly, but it's a similar part of the world... kind of (!), do you remember the gentleman who did some very good Norfolk Broads videos and goes by the username of prsw100 on YouTube? He has recently posted a couple of videos of a visit to Copenhagen with a trip on the canals there too. You will recognise him as soon as you hear his voice.

Copenhagen is a great place to visit. Took the wife back last year as it had been 20yrs since I worked there and she visited me. We loved it then. It has changed as you'd expect but still nice. 

Its as expensive as you want it to be. We stayed in a hotel on Nyhaven as I wanted to be in that area. the restaurant they ate in at the end is in a very popular tourist area and is a little more expensive. But no more than a lot of other capital cities. Alcohol particularly. 

The cheaper way to do Denmark or Sweden is self catering. Supermarkets used to be cheaper than the uk. Even alcohol. Although Sweden is still expensive for alcohol due to the high taxes. Just go sober for a weekend and enjoy. 

And yes beware the midges in summer. But go just outside summer and it will be pleasant. 

And the scandies have a good sense of humour. 

• Like 2