Tip For Home Lighting

Nothing to do with boats, but I have been really impressed with some LED bulbs I have bought from none other than Poundland for, yes you guessed it £1.00!

They come in a range of styles from 3w to 5w (I got the 5w) and have a claimed life expectancy of 15,000 (of about 15 years if on for just under 3 hours a day).  Now don't expect these to replace high lumen output lamps you may have, but for a bed side light, or lamps in reading lights etc these would be ideal and are well made too boot and frankly for £1.00 you can't go wrong.

• Like 4

Got some of these Robin and they are really good quality, well made and brighter than the bulbs they replaced.

as you say for £1.00 each you can't go wrong

been using them since just after Christmas

We have the 5w bulbs

Edited by deebee29
To add bulb wattage

Hi Robin,

Yes, they are good for soft lighting, but do lose their luminaires long before the hours quoted. Still cracking value at a £1.00p. Thankfully I can still buy the higher wattage ones cheap at my Electrical Wholesalers.

All our table lamps have them fitted, I changed them all last autumn, after two years use.

cheersIain

And have you seen the price of a good Wick recently! They say our parafin lamps will be a thing of the past by 2030 here on the North Coast of Norfolk. But I think it is wishful thinking.

2 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

Yeah same here, now only a couple of incandescents left in lamps.. So lighting most of the house uses less power than one room used to.

Funny how we seem to pay more than in those days, though :naughty::naughty:

Hi John,

The way its going with the high cost of electricity compared to the gas price, we may be all back to using gas mantles :naughty:

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi John,

The way its going with the high cost of electricity compared to the gas price, we may be all back to using gas mantles :naughty:

Regards

Alan

Candles ? :naughty: Well they supply heat and light! :party:Progress or what?

cheersIain

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:56 AM, Jonzo said:

There was a bit of a thing a couple of years back about CHP (combined heat and power) boilers which are - to massively oversimplify - a  combi with an alternator on them. 

It's a definitely an option as solar is a good route but not everyone has the space or the right shape roof (I have that problem) to make it worthwhile.

Not when you are on Tank gas at, at least 3 times the price of mains gas ....

I worked in many farms in Ayrshire, trust me, when at the top of an extension ladder, the niff was well a niff! I also rewired Ayr Cattle Market, and on a warm day, the ammonia smell was overpowering, so much so, one of the apprentices keeled over with the pong.

Is it the way forward hmmm or is it an article meant for April 1st?

cheersIain

• Like 1

I've use the £ one and they are great but also needed a bigger wattage and got a 5 pack from screw fix 6watt cool white £10 same size as a normal/proper 60w bulb and they are very good with a bright light from them, good light for doing work in.

Biggest problem was replacing 6 mini r45 spots in the kitchen, ending up in Home Bargains so now running 36w instead of 240w.

We recently switched all our utilities (gas electric phone broadband & mobiles) to Utility Warehouse who have not only saved us a ton of money, when you take the full package they come out and replace every bulb in the house with the latest led bulbs for free ...... When you need to replace a bulb you just give them a call so never need to buy another bulb as long as you are with them (there is a condition that if you leave early you have to pay for the bulbs)

we are very happy with the service which you can tailor to suit your own needs. You also get cash back off the bills by shopping online.

the call centre is in uk and answered very quickly by knowledgable staff that you can understand.

This company doesn't advertise and operates through word of mouth (or type in this case)

well worth a look 

• Like 1

There is a local firm here in Donny called 'Green Bro's they are an electrical / plumbing trade outlet that also sells to the public.  They are fantastic with their free advice and customer service.  I send dozens and dozens of my customers to them.   I have progressively changed over all the lights in our place to LED including the outside spots etc, just got the loft and garage fluorescent tubes to do now.  The biggest saving was the kitchen downlights, we used to have ten of the 50w GU50 things, meaning 500w or half a kilowat every hour and the kitchen lights are used more than any other room in the house, ten 7w LED's means only 70w an hour, huge difference / saving.   T'other week I put up some outside LED downlights on front of t house for vehicle security (Along with a cctv system).  We have a rear roof full of solar panels so I reckon we are just about as 'Green' as we can possibly be.  Some neighbouring villages have started to have the streetlamps converted over to LED, I'm hoping they do our street soon, less light pollution and cheaper to run.

The bonkers thing is that we fully converted 'B.A' over to LED long before we did the house, yet spend more time in the house than on 'B.A' - of course in and ideal world that would be t'other way round

Griff

BA NBN 244.JPG

BA NBN 245.JPG

• Like 2