Ants. Advice To Exterminate Please

The wee b&-/@-/s have invaded my bathroom of all places.  

Couple of years ago they were in my kitchen but much cleaning and powder eventually chased the wee crawlers.

Bathroom is a strange one , no food about obviously, and a couple of neighbours also have the wee creepers as visitors.  Must have big family underground one thinks. 

So who has a great trick to get rid of them.

Even from my house, stuff the neighbours. I was thinking of just chucking food into their gardens but that's probably not neighbourly!,

I assume you have a bungalow or downstairs bathroom. 

Is it in an extension?

had similar in the conservatory. Once I found their route I used copious amounts of ant powder then half a tube of silicone in the hole. I pumped it into the hole and it just kept going!!!

i can only assume I now have ants encased in silicone until the end of the world!

• Like 1

Bungalow yes, extension no. 

I aint ripping my bathroom apart to find a 1 mill hole where they are getting in. They haven't invaded for 17 years in this room , why now!!,

I would nuke them but they probably would survive that!,. They are industrious wee Devils. Sneaking wee respect for the beasts!,

• Like 2

Copious amounts of Ant powder is still the best way to  go. We have had tte little blighters recently, like last week! First in 30 years, had them in the kitchen then. Was told put down circles of Ant Powder, and it has worked, so far.

I suspect the mild winter has had a lot to do with them moving indoors.

cheersIain

• Like 1

There is a colorless spray (cant recall the name) which you can spray on floors walls skirting boards and the like. Brilliant kills all on touching. I used it in my conservatory and it was like a force field stopping everything.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

we run a trail of ant powder along the outside of the wall front and back of the house, never found an ant since doing that, refresh a couple of times a year.

Yup done that one, it works very well!:clap

Had a problem some years ago with ants in the kitchen, bit of a mystery where they were coming from as we have solid floors. One evening we left a half empty can of Schweppes dry ginger ale on the work surface and the next morning when I poured it down the sink it was jam packed with dead ants. Did the same for the next few nights with same results until the problem was resolved, no more ants (but at least they died happy)

• Like 2

I remember reading somewhere recently that if you don't kill them properly (whatever that means) then they will form sub colonies and multiply even more. 

We have a problem with them under our paths alongside our house, occasionally they get in, there was a mass exodus once from the back door sill, up and over the fridge freezer and along the worktop to the sink, quite impressive really!  Hoovered the little buggers up and blocked their entry route with powder and silicone, we occasionaly get the odd one or two in the utility room but when I see them I take that as a warning and go outside and powder every crack and crevice I can find. 

• Like 1

Chocolate Covered Ants

(or other crunchy protein critters)

Recipe By - Chef Jacques Martine'

Yield ; 12 + Chocolates

Ingredients ;

100 Black Ants (avoid red ants, too spicy)

1 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped out

2 Egg Yolks

1 Tbsp. Sugar

1 tsp. Butter, melted

12 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate

Procedures -
Using a medium size pot as a double boiler, heat two cups of water and place a bowl over it. Add chocolate and turn heat to low, heat until chocolate is melted. Remove chocolate from heat and stir. In another mixing bowl, add vanilla seeds and egg yolks, beat until smooth, add sugar and wisk over medium heat until mixture reaches 160 f., remove from heat and fold in butter, let cool, then Fold in ants carefully. Take care not to smash them. They stay more flavorful and retain extra moisture if intact.

Note: The chocolate should never be heated over 100 degree's F.
Use a digital thermometer to check the chocolate. Carefully fold the egg mixture into the chocolate. Use a teaspoon to scoop and immediately place a half teaspoon of the mixture onto wax paper or place in chocolate molds. Refrigerate to harden. These tasy shapes can not be redipped and coated with nuts, powdered sugar or drizzled with white chocolate.

The chocolate covered ants can be refrigerated for up to three weeks. The chocolate helps to preserve their freshness.

cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Chocolate Covered Ants

(or other crunchy protein critters)

Recipe By - Chef Jacques Martine'

Yield ; 12 + Chocolates

Ingredients ;

100 Black Ants (avoid red ants, too spicy)

1 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped out

2 Egg Yolks

1 Tbsp. Sugar

1 tsp. Butter, melted

12 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate

Procedures -
Using a medium size pot as a double boiler, heat two cups of water and place a bowl over it. Add chocolate and turn heat to low, heat until chocolate is melted. Remove chocolate from heat and stir. In another mixing bowl, add vanilla seeds and egg yolks, beat until smooth, add sugar and wisk over medium heat until mixture reaches 160 f., remove from heat and fold in butter, let cool, then Fold in ants carefully. Take care not to smash them. They stay more flavorful and retain extra moisture if intact.

Note: The chocolate should never be heated over 100 degree's F.
Use a digital thermometer to check the chocolate. Carefully fold the egg mixture into the chocolate. Use a teaspoon to scoop and immediately place a half teaspoon of the mixture onto wax paper or place in chocolate molds. Refrigerate to harden. These tasy shapes can not be redipped and coated with nuts, powdered sugar or drizzled with white chocolate.

The chocolate covered ants can be refrigerated for up to three weeks. The chocolate helps to preserve their freshness.

cheers

Mark,

Are you one of the game challenge organisers for...... I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

Hi Iain no, but the daughter of a guy who works for me is!!!

this was an old thing where a young lady bet an old man (me) that if I did it, she would! What do you think happened?   To be fair to her she tried them as well but later told me she didn't think I would do it!!!

it actually wasn't that bad and tasted like dry roasted peanuts. 

• Like 1

A safe way in the house is double sided tape in pack of 3 from the £shop onto strips of paper and put in the route you think there taking, once caught fold and bin then a fresh strip no chems on house floor.

I had block paving and used this and that, even crushed caustic soda and put in the holes and add water this just moved there route.

MY old house had a big cellar which I put a radiator in to keep dry but couldn't clear the crawling insects so I used shallow lids with caustic soda and water which did a good job but later put tape round lids to track route and hell I was getting loads on route for a drink for weeks.

• Like 1

Encourage spiders...they love to eradicate ants. :cool:

Failing that...an aptly-named product called "Dethlac" will work. It's a spray which is applied to the surfaces you wish to protect rather than to the tiresome invaders themselves.

Smells vile upon application and carries a COSHH warning but it's excellent stuff.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SANTED said:

Get two pieces of wood approximately 4” square.

Mark one as A and the other as B.

Place the ant on piece A and hit sharply with piece B

Works every time

May I remind you, that this is a family forum, and violence is not permitted:norty: however, a dunt on the head with a hammer is permitted as it looks technical !:naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1