There Are A Fair Few 'silver Surfers Here......

Poppy

Old age

I look at my face in the mirror,
But surely that cannot be me?
When did I get grey hair and wrinkles
Aren’t I still young and carefree?

My head wants to go on adventures,
My body says no I’m too old,
I want to go splashing in puddles,
But my carer says I’ll catch a cold.

I thought that old age only happened
To people much older than me,
But it seems that my body knew better
And developed a dodgy old knee.

And my hip it just seemed to follow
And it creaked and it groaned every time
I tried to go faster than normal,
It never did that in my prime.

And isn’t it odd how folk mumble,
They can’t seem to speak clear at all,
And the social called round to fit handrails
They’re sure that without them I’ll fall.

And why can’t I read all the news print?
It seems to be shrinking each week,
It can’t be my eyesight that’s fading,
But the outlook is looking quite bleak.

I’m not sure I like what is happening,
The future it fills me with dread,
My teeth are a faded old memory
They now live in a glass by my bed.

But my head thinks I’m only just twenty,
So I’ll hide all the mirrors away,
I’ll leave getting old for the others,
Whilst there’s time left to get out and play!

Jan Millward©

https://www.silversurfers.com/showcase/article/old-age-2/

• Like 8

I have just received the latest news letter form a sailing association, opened to the  second page, caught sight of a picture and thought what's my DAD doing in here.... and then I realised it was me.....:shocked

• Like 4

It's not the grey hair that makes a man old, nor the far-away look in his eye, I am told.

But when the heart makes a contract the body can't fulfill - You're over the hill, brother.

Over the hill.

When you look at a "venus" and you just heave a sigh : when you hear a rude joke and you laugh 'till you cry : when it's all in the mind and you can't raise a thrill,

You're over the hill, brother. Over the hill.

Now, life is a struggle; the conflict is keen - there are just so many shots in the old magazine. When you've fired the last shot and you cannot re-fill,

You're over the hill, brother. Over the hill.

And so this is my story - alas and alack - when you've squeezed out the toothpaste, you can't put it back! So it you want to make "whoopee", don't wait until,

You're over the hill, brother.    Ooover the hill.........

• Like 8

Perhaps it is good to make light of the inevitable decline that is later life, but there is a tough reality:

A Lament Of The Aging

© Richard Kalfus More By Richard Kalfus

Published on October 9, 2015

I am old,
So I've been told
By magazines and TV commercials
Portraying perfect complexions,
Perfect hair, no bald men there.
Perfect sculpted bodies,
Ready to jog 
To save the world
In an Alzheimer's benefit run.
Am I envious?
You bet I am!

I was naked
So many years ago
Standing before the army doctor
Who wrote, without a word:
"The 19-year-old is fit to serve."

A quick glance in the mirror now
To register 
The wrinkled, blotchy face,
Protruding stomach,
Breasts I never had,
The bald head of Mr. Clean,
Alas, without the muscles 
Of television fame.
I look around
At the men and woman of my age
In the community pool
And am comforted
In a grotesque way
That I am one of many;
I am not alone.

• Like 7

The main problem with this age thing is that inside your head you are still that young man or girl.

I remember well my grandmother telling me that inside she still felt young, maybe it was her reason for talking to all the old dears on our estate, who were far younger than she was. She was 99 when she died, still loved and missed by us all.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

The main problem with this age thing is that inside your head you are still that young man or girl.

Regards

Alan

How wonderfully true, Alan, as I approach my 75th............ I still forget that my legs and balance will frequently let me down..... I've resolved to wear an LSJ at all times when on the water!    :wave

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

How wonderfully true, Alan, as I approach my 75th............ I still forget that my legs and balance will frequently let me down..... I've resolved to wear an LSJ at all times when on the water!    :wave

I'm glad that I am not the only one. Not so long ago I thought nothing of jumping into a dinghy from a boat, never fell in, I was always able to balance my self. Now I fear it is a different story. I thought just only the other day that perhaps I should get a walking stick, not a grandad stick but one of those with it hiking sticks. Not that I go hiking but whose to know, everybody will think I am one of those super fit blokes. Little do they know it stops me being blown over in a slight breeze or feeling the need for that feel good factor when standing and having a mardle.

Andrew

• Like 4

I am a new boy on the silver block, a tad over 67. I use to think nothing of going round a 6800yard golf course twice in a day. Or bowling 20 overs in a 50 over game. These days without the modern aids like my pal "SCOOT" and my car I would be stuck at home.

This however does not stop my old grey cells from keeping an eye on the Forum. I am sure most of us, if not all of pension age, still are as alert if not as able as they were forty plus years ago!

Yours,  a recycled teenager!:party::wave

• Like 7

I'm not sure who thought up counting your birthdays and deciding that is how old you are but it's utter nonsence.

I know many young over sixties and a lot of young/middle aged fuddy duddies.

I guess the age thing started to make kiddies feel good about themselves and as a measure of biggness.

When you reach that magic age when motor insurance premiums begin to drop (another lie to make you feel better about getting older) then STOP counting birthdays. Celebrate waking up in the morning. Look forward to waking up tomorrow.

Don't listen to the government advice on what you should eat, drink & do ...... just do what makes you happy and LIVE YOUR life happy in the knowledge that those younger than you are slowly catching you up in percentage terms!

:party1::band Party for old farts!!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

I'm not sure who thought up counting your birthdays and deciding that is how old you are but it's utter nonsence.

I know many young over sixties and a lot of young/middle aged fuddy duddies.

I guess the age thing started to make kiddies feel good about themselves and as a measure of biggness.

When you reach that magic age when motor insurance premiums begin to drop (another lie to make you feel better about getting older) then STOP counting birthdays. Celebrate waking up in the morning. Look forward to waking up tomorrow.

Don't listen to the government advice on what you should eat, drink & do ...... just do what makes you happy and LIVE YOUR life happy in the knowledge that those younger than you are slowly catching you up in percentage terms!

:party1::band Party for old farts!!

Hi Smellyloo,

Waking up in a morning is a definite bonus:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Ohhh, I so know the problem with balance, sometimes having to crawl ashore on my knees, cause for much amusement by callous onlookers and questions from curious children such as 'what's that funny man doing?':grin:  However, where there is a will there is a way, so there!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Wussername said:

I'm glad that I am not the only one. Not so long ago I thought nothing of jumping into a dinghy from a boat, never fell in, I was always able to balance my self. Now I fear it is a different story. I thought just only the other day that perhaps I should get a walking stick, not a grandad stick but one of those with it hiking sticks. Not that I go hiking but whose to know, everybody will think I am one of those super fit blokes. Little do they know it stops me being blown over in a slight breeze or feeling the need for that feel good factor when standing and having a mardle.

Andrew

Andrew, I have relented to keeping a stick both in the car and on-board. Those 'granddad' sticks being ideal as boathooks and an extended arm whilst afloat thus overcoming any loss of pride that they might incur!  

Ah.... it's good to be a boat! All my worn out bits get renewed when needed.

The fact that it takes a collection of you old wrinklies to achieve that is completely irrelevant :naughty::naughty::hardhat: (I am actually extremely grateful)

• Like 4

I remember a few years ago I went with my family on a boat holiday on the Thames.

Dad, who was at the time about the same age as I am now jumped down from the gunwales (the boat was tied up) and gave a loud grunt.

"I have just discovered something" he said, "What's that dad" I enquired, "I just don't bounce anymore". he bemoaned.  I now know what he meant as I no longer bounce. Being a senior citizen has its plusses ie. free bus pass, free prescriptions, free eye tests, a regular pension, plenty of time to do what you want to do. Also, you can wear an old jumper as fashion goes out the window at our age.

That all said, I would love to bounce again. (No, I am not going to change my name to Tigger)     rofl  

Shreck

• Like 8

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:35 AM, Hockham Admiral said:

What a good  idea, Andrew.

I know that if I trip over when walking Jasper at night  then there's little chance that I'll be able to get up without a nearby fence or wall to help!

I have an amazing theory!

I think we will call it Shreck Theory. With my calculations (done on an old Woolworths super duper calculator which I bought for a couple of quid years ago), I have calculated that the pull of gravity is directly proportional to the age of the person it is pulling on.

Do we have any mathematicians on this forum who can substantiate this theory and work it out with a pencil? (Noooooo, don't even go there) :naughty:

shreck. 

• Like 1