A Snip

Wussername

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/news/rare-chance-to-buy-a-river-inspectors-launch

A snip!

But why?

What can the Spirit of Breydon achieve which this beautiful craft does not already provide.

Is not the SOB limited as to where it can go? Up the Chet, through Beccles, Surlingham Broad, Rockland Broad, Geldeston Lock. Breydon ..........what can it do when it gets there.

Or is the Inspectors launch being sold to finance this floating folly?

Andrew

Edited by Wussername
  • Like 3

S.O.B should be the boat up for sale. Having passed over Breydon bridge 6 times in the last 2 weeks, during the day, I've only ever seen it moored to the quay!. Total waste of my money. I can't understand why the river launches can't do a better job.

Guide price would be nice! Reserve price guess anyone?

Colincheers

• Like 1

I honestly believe that the S.O.B falls into that dreadful category, that over quoted phrase of, not fit for purpose. 

I have to ask the question as to why the capital investment in this boat, maintainence, staff training, was not taken into consideration prior to the acquisition of this craft. Does it not beg the question that the money would have been better spent on the Hemsby boat or the RNLI at Gorleston. In both cases a proven resource which on more than one occasion has demonstrated worth in the true sence of the word.

Little can be said of the S.O.B.

Andrew 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Is this not the same two launches that were sold through Broadshaven early last year? That linked BA press release says 2014 at the bottom...

You are correct JanetAnne. Sorry if the link was misleading.

The boat in question is the motor launch ML Chet of similar  specification. Well maintained and in immaculate condition. For sale as of now May 2016.

Andrew

3 hours ago, Bobdog said:

The Chet (which used to patrol the River Ant) is for sale because the BA have recently taken delivery of a brand new white launch (to be named the Aitken Clarke) to patrol that river.  The Barton and Thurne were sold a few years back.

Will the Barton and Thurn be replaced do you know? Or has this already happened?

Andrew

Both the Barton and the Thurne were old 'woodentops'.  The Martin Broom, commissioned about 3 years back (now operating out of Norwich I believe) was a direct replacement for one of those, and the white topped launch that was previously on Breydon, before the arrival of SoB, was relocated to the northern rivers to replace the other.  I think there are now only two (or possibly three) woodentops still in operation; the Wroxham based one, the Hardley based one for sure - I'm not sure about the Beccles boat?  I believe there is a kind of rolling replacement program, so we can expect all the woodies to have gone within the next ten years or so.

12 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

"  In 1996 the vessel was sunk by an unhappy customer  "

What? Love to know what that was all about!

Regards

David

I heard a story that 20 years or so back someone broke into one of the Ranger bases at night, dragged two launches out into the middle of the river, and punched a hole in the bottom of each.  Nobody could ever prove who had done it, though suspicions were rife.

6 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

Both the Barton and the Thurne were old 'woodentops'.  The Martin Broom, commissioned about 3 years back (now operating out of Norwich I believe) was a replacement for one of those, and the white topped launch that was previously on Breydon, before the arrival of SoB, was relocated to the northern rivers to replace the other.  I think there are now only two (or possibly three) woodentops still in operation; the Wroxham based one, the Hardley based one for sure - I'm not sure about the Beccles boat?  I believe there is a kind of rolling replacement program, so we can expect all the woodies to have gone within the next ten years or so.

Wasn't there issues with the Martin Broom that ended with Brooms having to sort them out, I remember it being in one of Brooms sheds for a while.

Regards

Alan

Marshman , at an NBN meet some years back at Salhouse the BA launch called in and the ranger showing us round  told us that this one had a loo fitted under the seats as the Queen had been been on board during a visit ,did not say if it was used ? My silly side has thoughts of her Madg sitting waving as they travelled the waterway ! Whilst the Ranger steered a a steady course whilst in use  ,I did not see any curtains ? Perhaps someone with a bit more connection with these craft could advise ? I am sure this one was dual power with a bank of batteries to drive the electric motor ? Just the sound of trickling water !then !   Ooh I am Awfull !:bow

15 minutes ago, Boaters said:

Marshman , at an NBN meet some years back at Salhouse the BA launch called in and the ranger showing us round  told us that this one had a loo fitted under the seats as the Queen had been been on board during a visit ,did not say if it was used ? My silly side has thoughts of her Madg sitting waving as they travelled the waterway ! Whilst the Ranger steered a a steady course whilst in use  ,I did not see any curtains ? Perhaps someone with a bit more connection with these craft could advise ? I am sure this one was dual power with a bank of batteries to drive the electric motor ? Just the sound of trickling water !then !   Ooh I am Awfull !:bow

That would be a Royal Flush then!

Andrew

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Wasn't there issues with the Martin Broom that ended with Brooms having to sort them out, I remember it being in one of Brooms sheds for a while.

Regards

Alan

Don't know about that, you may be right.  The MB has a diesel/electric hybrid motor.  I believe the latest launch has reverted to a straightforward diesel.  Maybe there's a connection there?