Broads River Map Books.. Is There Any Others Than The Collins Waterway..

ScrumpyCheddar

Last year was our first year on the broads and we loved so I bought two maps .. 

One was the Collins Norfolk broads waterways guide map book and the other was the fold out broads cruising tourists map the waterways series. What was great but took up so much space and the art of origami to fold it back up became a pain every time you wanted it.. 

So out come the very disappointing Collins map book..  Was not impressed with it.. The map of the river was very small they seem to concentrate on other areas more than the river.. It's missing key points of a river map.. A mileage gauge at key locations.. Not printing obstructions  not very good in my eye ..

For many years I use to go boating on the upper River Great Ouse another fantastic river and I bought an IWA river map what was brilliant it have everything in it the detail was great on it from mileage distance, to pubs, locks, cross flows, telephone numbers, 

i would like to see a version of the map for the broads it would be helpful for newbies and regulars and owners and it be in a handy size .. I have enclosed some pics of it to see where I coming from.. 

Three from the IWA The Upper Great Ouse and a couple from the Collins map book.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You could try seeking out a copy of "Hamiltons's Broads Navigation". Been out of print for a while but , if complete, include some very reasonable maps.

There was a "plan" to update this but it sadly never happened.

Seems to be a couple here.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/hamiltons-broads-navigation-charts-and-index/

• Like 1

As Vetchugger says, Hamilton's has never been surpassed although long out of print now. The one I use is the 34th (2001) edition, ISBN 0 903094 08 8. If you're buying on line make sure it's got the loose maps with it and the twiddly disc tide calculator is a bonus. Handy hint: picked mine up on E-bay complete for a fiver as vendor mis-spelled Ham(m)iltoms.

• Like 1

Yes Peter it shows your position on the map.

one thing to bear in mind is this works fine on an iPhone that has gps built in but a standard iPad doesn't (the one with a sim does)

I have a Bluetooth gps unit that works great with the iPad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Navilock-GNS-2000-receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00COLB9FS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1463910054&sr=8-6&keywords=bad+elf+gps

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

Yes Peter it shows your position on the map.

one thing to bear in mind is this works fine on an iPhone that has gps built in but a standard iPad doesn't (the one with a sim does)

I have a Bluetooth gps unit that works great with the iPad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Navilock-GNS-2000-receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00COLB9FS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1463910054&sr=8-6&keywords=bad+elf+gps

Does it work on the iPad Air 2 do you know?

There is quite a good IOS App from Hoseasons which gives location (based on GPS) and speed as well as maps.  Search on the iTunes App Store for 'Hoseasons' to find it.  I use this to check my speed occasionally and it seems to be fairly accurate but only to the nearest 1 mph.  I do not know if it is also available for Android or not.

• Like 1

I am happy  my GPS is accurate to 0.1mph as that is what my software gives me, on a different laptop I had a digital speedo and that was reading .01mph accuracy, while GPS needs 3 satellites for an accurate reading, when travelling I usually have data from at least 8 satellites - improving the accuracy no end, its accurate enough to give me two tracks when I drive along a road and back.

Do note that my GPS antenna is an external antenna though.

http://www.haicom.com.tw/GPS_Receivers/HI-204IIIUSB/Product.aspx