Richardsons Acle

BroadScot

As far as mooring availability at Acle is concerned, I think there could be an increase in overall space, given the space taken up along the bank by Horizon craft, especially when its low season and there's lots of empty boats. I recall my late father being quite annoyed with the boatyard when in late April 2013 we could barely squeeze in anywhere above the bridge due to the unoccupied boats!

• Like 1

Years ago, there were 5 yards at  Acle, Easticks, Alan Johnson Boats, Anchor craft, Horizon, and Bridgecraft. Now there will only be Bridgecraft, who i would imagine would take over the basin, leaving the river clear of stern moored boats on a weekend?. 

It would also allow Bridgecraft the opportunity to increase their fleet should they wish, due to the increased mooring capability, and hopefully, leave the riverbank free for visiting boats. Hopefully, with a bit of thought, it would be a good opportunity for more visiting boats, which could mean more pub trade, and more trade for the little shop on the north bank?.

The bit that interests me is the wording:-  " For the 2017 season the Acle boats will operate from Stalham"

Does this mean that FROM 2017 the boats will operate from Stalham   OR  does it mean that for the 2017 SEASON ONLY they will operate from Stalham ?

Could it be that there is a plan to redevelop the Acle sight with  a new much bigger mooring basin dug out to make room for the transfer of even more boats to Acle?

Just a thought!

Jeff

Hello jeffbroadslover,

That was the thinking in my previous post. There's a lot of scope for improving Horizons Yard, which inturn would make a bit more room up at Stalham.  Re the planning for building a new holiday let in the yard, will it not be in a bit of a funny place? lt's not exactly ideal being close to a busy road and back a bit from the river. But then again there are so many different types of holiday lets around the Broads when you think about it. 

Hi Jeff,

There are people on this forum who can access information much quicker and better than I can, but if they want to expand the yard, then I am sure there must be planning permission applied for and possibly something for locals to voice their opinions on. I personally have no idea what is happening, so let's wait and see.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

The bit that interests me is the wording:-  " For the 2017 season the Acle boats will operate from Stalham"

Does this mean that FROM 2017 the boats will operate from Stalham   OR  does it mean that for the 2017 SEASON ONLY they will operate from Stalham ?

Could it be that there is a plan to redevelop the Acle sight with  a new much bigger mooring basin dug out to make room for the transfer of even more boats to Acle?

Just a thought!

Jeff

Actually, that`s an interesting point. I did assume they meant for all time, but if you take each word at its meaning, if the words "FOR the 2017 season", it means just that, the 2017 season. But if the words used are "FROM the 2018 season", it would infer the continuing years after.  Interesting, and throws out any ideas i posted above.

For those speculating on whether Richardsons might expand the basin, it should be remembered that the EA have already completed the flood defence work in that compartment, with a solid concrete structure around the edge of the basin, which is the EA's responsibility to maintain. Whilst I imagine it might be possible to negotiate with the EA and move the protection at one's own cost, I would imagine it a nightmare process and expensive. 

Clive has posted on Facebook with some of the details:

- boats moving to Stalham

-Prisma up for sale

- Far Horizon will be hired from Horning

-Acle may be rented by another hire company

- Richardsons have bought a "classic" boat to hire from Horning.

-plan to make 3 new boats per year with the fleet size remaining the same.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matt said:

-plan to make 3 new boats per year with the fleet size remaining the same.

Either the new builds will increase or the fleet decrease at some point, otherwise it won't just be Horning that has a classic boat. :!:

We have hired from Stalham recently in the off-peak seasons and the mooring basins were quite full. If Richos take on or move more boats into their hire base, they must find somewhere to put them. IMHO, the basin at Horning is quite big, so it is possible that quite a few boats will go there.

4 minutes ago, TrevorAndDeirdre said:

Horning is mostly private craft now, but there is a planning application in to expand the yard.

Ah ha...the plot thickens....or should that be widens? Ok i'll get my :coat:

cheersIain

1 hour ago, TrevorAndDeirdre said:

Horning is mostly private craft now, but there is a planning application in to expand the yard.

When I was last there the old Wilds basin was almost full of private boats with just four ex hire craft near to the sheds. The Woods dyke moorings also had a large share of ex hire boats berthed.