Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

more work progresses, after receiving a new power supply for my bench, tidying was done and space made for it, then it was time to drill out for and install the gauges, which then had the dials painted white. a morse control unit was 3d printed on high quality setting with 0.1mm thick layers, this gives a smoother surface.

I then chromed the surface with a chrome paint marker, these Molotow markers are not cheap, but do give an excellent chrome finish, just the operating handle to make from some 3mm brass bar now, then attach using an m2 bolt.

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

• Like 6

Well lets see if we can wow you with the morse control, I took some 3mm dia rod, and filed a flat on so i could punch a dimple for the drill bit, then using a 1.4mm drill bit I drilled a hole, after checking it was central, i drilled it out with a 2mm drill (2mm hole through a 3mm brass rod, it needs to be perfectly central) after that it was a case of taking a 12mm x2mm bolt and bolting it to the 3d printed morse control.

then it was sit it on a 1p piece for scale , get out the extension rings and get some pictures, then with just the normal lens

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2588.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

• Like 9

Today i am working two different methods to make the ships wheel, the easy method is to 3d print the wheel, the other way involves gluing 4 blocks of teak together, then it will be a matter of putting it on the lathe and turning the wood for the rim, then the boss, and then adding the spokes, this will also mean cutting a brass circle to make the brass parts, this is the hard way, i have already done the easy way, but i still feel the hard way will give greater satisfaction.

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG

• Like 7

If I use a single piece I will have two points where there are short grain , where the wood can split, by using 4 pieces cut at 45 degrees, the short grain is avoided as the grain runs around the piece, the end of the wood will be turned to size, half way through the wood, then the wheel can be drilled and assembled, then cut to thickness, as it will be stronger with the spokes in place.

• Thanks 2

OK, I have looked for my faceplate, but from memory, it wont help as the wooden part is too small for the fixing points on the faceplate, so plan number 2 goes into effect, I need something to hold the wood part, so I have the solution, I have designed a faceplate in CAD, and 3d Printed it out, unfortunately I dont have the tap that corresponds to the lathe spindle so I will just have to reprint this with the correct thread already set on it, simple - so I will have printed a 50mm dia lathe faceplate fo fix the blocks to to turn the ships wheel parts. 

so now you can see some of the processes that go into some parts of the model, where a part has to be fabricated to enable another part to be made, next to decide which lathe to set up this part on.

• Like 3

ok so now i have returned from my training in leeds and had a good sleep, its time to progress, one of my wood blocks has been added to a faceplate and is set up ready to start shaping the ships wheel, hey, if this doesnt work, i have realised i could turn it out of a piece of brass if the wood works out to be too tricky

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

• Like 2