Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

So, the whole floor section with seating fits nicely into its corner, this is the  point model #2  overtakes (at least in this aspect) model #1 as that doesnt have any centre cockpit detailing other than the dashboard. the seat tops will be made (as in the real thing ) using thin sheet plywood (in fact they are receiving their edging trim as we speak.)

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

• Like 7

Well lets see how you like this then, the seat tops are on and trimmed, this whole seating area is attached to the removable floor piece, upholstery, yes, i will have to find some cloth in the correct colour, this will be formed round 1/4" dense foam, and then the cushions can be put in, this will come at a later stage though. meanwhile a section next to the 'door' will have a patch of tread added for entry and exit. (the tread may well be simulated by a suitable grade of wet and dry paper.)

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

• Like 9

its being made from wood that was an offcut from repairs to the real boat - Broad Ambition, I have spent time aboard, measuring up and taking lots of photos, the wood used for the hull was lime from old ikea blinds this was before i got the burmese teak that all the main fixtures and fittings are being constructed from. I was given two pieces of teak, about 6"x1 1/2" x about 24" and the second 30", of these one piece is about 2" wide now as the rest has been cut down for cabin sides and to make fittings..

So i have now fitted the ships wheel to the bulkhead, and now for some pictures, the last few show the construction as the side bulkhead that covers the sliding sash leans inward accommodation had to be made for this, and then final adjustments were made with the vertical seat back. everything has been made to fit the space and the gaps round the edges are less than 0.5mm so its quite a precise fit. 

the front supports of the seat slope out just as the real thing does, so these seating parts were all precision angles, these were achieved using miniature precision squares markers and even tiny planes, acquired either at modelling shows or boot fairs, my only gripe with the adjustable square is the wing nut is too big and needs stopping in an exact spot or it sticks out and ruins the measurement of the angle.

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

• Like 8

I have`nt caught up with this thread for quite a while. I just love those mini planes, they look amazing. To make such intricate and detailed work takes a lot of skill and dexterity, skills i have, a steady hand and dexterity i DON`T.   I envy you to be able to do such fine work. I hope one day, our paths (or should that be rivers?) will cross, and will be able to see the model in the timber?.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Trusting that the final touches will include the true to life sound effects of Griff regaling all and sundry with his awesome repertoire of awful jokes! 

its just a question of getting a good recording when he doesnt realise. maybe at this years wooden boat show, or even the may meet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

of course the next problem will be the upholstery fabric, I need something to represent the upholstery with a similar pattern and colour, the best option I have figured at the moment is dolls house fabrics for the correct scale patterns, now the above upholstery has changed to a red with stripes, but looking through the scale fabrics available I have shortlisted 2 so far as being a similar colour with a small scale print to the original fabric, alternatively I will find a nice fabric then get Griff to re-upholster Broad Ambition to match the model.

IMG_3851.JPG

img046 - Copy.jpg

upholstery fabric.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alternatively I will find a nice fabric then get Griff to re-upholster Broad Ambition to match the model.

Many a true word said in jest.  Hang fire on the fabric as we are indeed planning to recover the present soft furnishings in the wheelhouse.  Out of necessity as they are worn through in places.  Hope to get this done this year

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...