Times Up / Alphacraft Auction

Mondeoman

34 minutes ago, MrBlueSky said:

They were the first boatyard i ever got a discount from for rebooking direct with them,think it was 20% but i could be wrong.

We hired Rapide in 1983 and yes, we were offered a 15% discount on the next booking outside high season. My brother in law booked that holiday, but we never used the yard again.

cheersIain

Ive just looked at a few of the old advertising pictures for Rapide, I think the front half of the superstructure would look a lot more appealing if they hadnt designed the back half to look so slab sided and with those horrible tiny windows.  You must get a bigger window in a prison cell (just to be clear im not speaking from experience!) 

Ive also never been a fan of the stern access on them, it looks squashed together, more of an after thought.  It looks like not much thought went into basic ergonomics back when some of these boats were built, on rapide for example the wheel in relation to the seat for the interior helm looks an incredibly uncomfortable position, I reckon an olympic gymnast would struggle.  I do like the circular seating but I guess that was spoilt by low headroom and those sloped forward windows.  The bow and nose of those boats to me have always appeared quite swan like.  I imagine a lot of work goes in to the design of a new boat hull, with a bit of tweaking to that original design I think the door wedge might have turned out to be more popular.   Theres one in private hands thats been moored before beccles new bridge for a number of years with a canopy over the upper helm. 

Iam half interested in firefly. I went to have a look on Monday most the boats are open so had a look round. They need a lot of work, the bowls are full of moisture crystals. Batteries are all flat so can't see them getting the going for viewing day although iam going to ask the agent tomorrow. Without seeing them running is a big gamble. 

Does any one know how the hot water is supplied on firefly. Gas boiler or heat exchanger and tank. 

cheers john

Interesting thread this.

The Alpha boats would make a good buy, but only if you got them for a rock bottom price. With any boat, if left unattended, they can quickly become dirty and smelly, but with a good weekend with lots of soapy water, scrubbing brush, and a few air fresheners, they can be made to at least look accecptable. However, the devil is as always in the detail, and very careful examination of all the mechanicals, and a clear i dea of the level of outlay to repair, or replace  will give you a good idea of what would be "the right price" . However, my concern is with the auctioneers and their legal charges. Personalyy, i`d recommend ANYBODY who goes to the auction NOT to bid, and tell the auctioneers to drop their fees to a more acceptable level. If they refuse, then everybody should just walk away. No customers equals no sales.

At the end of the day though, someone somewhere will buy them, and i do hope for their sakes they are not succkered into paying stupi prices, purely and simply "because it`s a boat and you must be rich to own one"?.

If you cant even guarantee the keys with the boat factor in £££ for new door locks, thats if you can find one to exactly match.  Ignition barrel not such a concern. 

I also felt the auctioneers fee is disgraceful, I accept they need to make their buck but 20% is excessive considering these assets are seizures.  

Id go and take pictures and recieve bids for 5% and if theyve not even made sure the boats are locked up they are certainly not worth 20% in my opinion.  If they are all wide open all sorts could be going on, people could be plundering them for spares by night, ok probably a bit extreme but still, not very good is it. 

As a 2nd hand purchase from a brokerage there wouldnt be any VAT to pay.  Do they put VAT on used cars at auction? 

8 hours ago, dnks34 said:

As a 2nd hand purchase from a brokerage there wouldnt be any VAT to pay.  Do they put VAT on used cars at auction? 

Wouldn't that depend on whether or not VAT had already been paid and not claimed back? you DO pay VAT on 2nd hand vans in many cases for example.

Frequently an auction house will charge 15% commission and I've known it to be as high as 25%. I agree that 20% is a tad high, but not outragous.

• Like 1

:kiss I wonder whether there are any Alpha Craft ex employees on the Forum?  Might be good to get some 'inside info' on the boats for any of us tempted to bid?  Any info must provide a 'few beers' at least!  Just a thought.  :angel:

• Like 1

That might not be wise. We could end up with a you said this and you said that scenario.

The whole thing feels like it has been set up to devalue the assets as far as possible with poor information and high fees. You ain't going to pay a lot for the actual boats!

The only consolation is the auction house will be paying tax on their profits...

2 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

That might not be wise. We could end up with a you said this and you said that scenario.

The whole thing feels like it has been set up to devalue the assets as far as possible with poor information and high fees. You ain't going to pay a lot for the actual boats!

The only consolation is the auction house will be paying tax on their profits...

:facepalm: If you say so!  It was just a thought.  If there are any ex employees perhaps they would be good enough to just pm me?!:naughty:

Come on folks, listen to yourselves.

You are talking about ex hire boats which you yourselves say have not had proper maintenance for years and have not been out of the water for years. This may mean they have not had oil changes either. If the batteries have been left flat, they are wrecked, so there's several hundred quid for a start. If they have had water over the floors then this may have ruined the woodwork, including main bulkheads.

You say they have been left open and therefore may have been looted. You will be bidding having not been able to run them, drive them, or see them out of the water. You don't know what their stern gear is like, or even if they still have a propellor.

You wouldn't buy a second-hand car like that, would you?

• Like 8

I have just been thinking of all the yards I have worked for and the way they have all sold their old boats.

They come in "drive away" condition, with everything in working order after a full service and oil change. You will even get a trial run before you set off.

Equipment will include curtains, mattresses, cushions, all deck gear including fenders, mop and boat-hook. If you wish it can also include bed linen and a basic set of crockery and cutlery. About the only things you won't get are gas bottles and fire extinguishers as these are not usually owned by the boatyard. You will get an assurance of after-sales service which will still be valid years later and they may be able to arrange favourable insurance terms. You might even get a mooring.

This just doesn't bear comparison, does it?

• Like 2