Just Dropped In To Say Hello

tjg1677

HI, after spending months reading the forum I thought I would reveal my hand and say hello.

Am an ex seafarer having served in both the royal and merchant navies as a marine engineer, spent about 18 years at sea in total. Have been an ardent broadophile for many years but then defected to the canal system. Sold my narrowboat last year and have drifted back to the broads having hired 4 boats in the last 18 months and now a proud owner of one, just goes to show that broads water must get into the blood!!

Seems to be some nice people on here and i look forward to hopefully conversing with you in the future.

bon voyage to all

trev.

• Like 3

greetings felicitations and thanks for a very warm welcome from you all.

broadscot, thank you so much for your link to a manual, I have had a right job trying to get one, will check the link out when I get onto my laptop cos this so called smart phone has very limited abilities!

a bit about my boat, well ironically I have the boat everyone loves to hate judging by what I have read on here. It is an alphacraft lowliner 42. I know they have their faults but she spoke to me when I saw her. I moor at ferry marina horning, lovely place. She is in drydock having a bit of work done at the moment. Mine is a fairly reasonable layout, she has the lower helm right up to the front window, so is easy to steer from inside, couple that with a massive galley and it makes her lovely. Downside is I am over six foot and about two and a half foot wide, ao I will leave you to guess the fun I have with low headroom and narrow doors:shocked

oh did I mention fun size cabins too?? In time all this will be resolved money permitting as I intend to fully refit her over time.she is probably the lovliest handling boat I have ever conned, impeccable manners and actually goes astern in a straight line

but she is mine and I love her. If anyone wants to know more, please feel free to ask

ttfn

trev

• Like 6

Thanks Iain, that is absolutely spot on, you are a gentleman and scholar.Have it working now back onto laptop.

MM - after she spoke and said buy me buy me, once I had handed the money over she then said something most strange-

" ha ha ha  now go and dig a hole in the river and just pour twenty pound notes into it !" Thats boating I guess...lol

what really is very very strange -------  a talking boat !!

bye for now y'all

trev

• Like 5

Thanks Iain, that is absolutely spot on, you are a gentleman and scholar.Have it working now back onto laptop.

See you lot, a Pesky that is a "scholar" SWMBO dropped a stitch in her knitting with the shock ! :naughty:

Thank you Trev for the kind words.:)

cheersIain

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroadScot said:

See you lot, a Pesky that is a "scholar" SWMBO dropped a stitch in her knitting with the shock ! :naughty:

Thank you Trev for the kind words.:)

cheersIain

You are most welcome sir but just one thing - OK I give in, what is a " pesky" ????

Dunno, this lot here felt we Mods were....I think, ME  in particular for some reason, :shocked Trev, but all in good fun.....most of the time ! :naughty:

Our dearest Gracie, will explain, once she has had a bottle of red, and tried on several dozen pairs of high heel shoes! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

Ahh now all becomes clear thank you for that clarification Iain.

Sadly I must now draw on my previous maritime experience on tankers and warn Gracie that red wine and high heels invokes

stability curves and metacentric heights ( a tanker loading thing ) and make aware of the dire consequences of keeling over !!!!

cheers + high heels =  :norty:

ttfn

trev

• Like 3

Yes I agree, mixing red wine and high heels can indeed have dire consequences, have keeled over on many a night out :naughty:

I don't wish to take all the credit but I do believe I labelled the Mods as Pesky, all of them, more so one in particular. isn't that right Iain? Moderators on all sorts of different forums can be a tad over enthusiastic, I believe our motley crew of Mods have got it just right, it really is a term of affection, we don't tell them this however, we don't want it going to their heads :naughty:

A very warm welcome aboard the Forum, Trev :wave You don't have to be crazy to be a member but it does help ;)

Grace

• Like 7

Thank you Gracie, John and Mary Jayne,

I feel at home already. Hoping to be back in the wet stuff in about a week and will be down on her again around wed 21st for hopefully a 4 night stay. Got a day or so alongside to do some more work ( mostly electrical ) then will be out and and about by the weekend, so if you see the Giddy Kipper - please do wave.

thanks

trev.

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I know that sailing boats and ships talk to their crews and that those crews talk back but surely those soulless motorised things can't talk, can they?

By the way, welcome onboard.

Ah Peter, not only can we talk but our owners can hear us without all that flappy noise going on.. :hiding:

• Like 1