Ferry Marina - Some Facilities Closing

tjg1677

Hello everyone,

Just a bit of minor news, Ferry marina, at the end of this season are permanently closing the swimming pool, fish n chip shop and laundrette. The swimming pool doesn't really bother me but the

fish n chips were quite good and the laundry was very useful indeed. Quite why they are doing this I dont know but I guess they will have their reasons - oh! and the moorings are going up too.

Just for information

trev.

• Like 1

12 years moored there and quite a lot of change in that time, some for better but some perhaps worse. We haven't been in The Ferry since 2012 and I think things have changed there now.  Workshop and Marina reception moved to the river bank, no petrol anymore but moorings a leccie posts much better since 2009

It seems like they are trying to appeal to a certain type of boater who might like to spend more time in the Marina using their boat less for cruising the rivers and know there is a nice place to go for a drink (maybe meal too who knows) just a short walk from their boat - maybe also will end up meeting friends who are likewise berth holders and in time a mini community is formed - even if it is a little exclusive.

But these developments got me thinking generally about the whole Marina concept.  For a long time now large Marina's have been trying to do more than just offer a place to keep a boat lashed to some quay heading but I think there is a lot more that could be provided - even if for additional cost per use or in an overall higher cost per annum.

So how might I go about managing a Marina?

First off banish the rectangular or square layout - instead go for a C shape - the open part of the 'C' would be the entrance/exit to the marina with berths all around the edges - in the centre would be the 'Service Hub' where, without being impeded by anything else berth holders or visiting boats could easily come for pump out, water, fuel and 'while you wait' services such as engine oil changes.  

This would be an island made possible with the mud dredged from the marina itself.  If it was to be expanded, further an addition 'C' shaped basin could be dug, or the initial one be large enough that further pontoon moorings on the outside of the 'C' could be provided with boats essentially back to back around the ark of the semis circle.

The moorings would not be charged per foot or metre, but a single standard flat fee would operate - running on a similar system to a mobile phone contracts, paid monthly for a minimum term of 2 years.  Some of the cost would be for the mooring, and some be for the onsite services for which you could 'upgrade' to enable use of further  amenities or opt to 'pay as you use' the latter would cost more than if it was part of your berthing Contract.

Standard services would include:

• Boater’s Bar
  • Standard Wi-Fi
  • Satellite TV connection to boats
  • Laundry Room
  • Picnic area/BBQ provision
  • 24/7 Security
  • Private Toilets and Showers
  • Trolleys to transport luggage etc from car park to boat

Upgraded benefits:

• Access of the Marina's electric car
  • Access to bicycles
  • Access to the Boater's Club Lounge
  • Reduced prices for pump outs and diesel
  • Access to the onsite Fitness Centre
  • Enhanced WiFi with unlimited use
  • Marina Concierge
  • Seasons end boat wash

In addition, onsite accommodation would be provided with ensuite rooms for visiting family and friends of berth holders (for an additional per room per night payment)but with included access to the Boater's Club Lounge.

The Boater's Club Lounge would offer a comfortable  place to unwind and is available for upgraded berth holders only and their guests.  It would provide a bar and lounge area but also a more formal restaurant dining with river views.  The Boater's Bar available for all berth holders is a more informal setting with just a bar and snacks. 

Moorings would be charged at £5,000 regardless of boats length with upgraded membership options starting at additional £1,200 per year.  This is more expensive than many a Marina, but the services alone would make it very attractive to a certain type of customer, and 100 such customers and you've got half a million in income off the bat, locked in a two year contract without any additional membership upgrades taken into account it does not take Einstein to see this is a good way to make money with easy expansion possibilities should the BA's Planning Dept be open to the idea or be able to be bribed lol.

Pie in the sky some may say, but another classic 'Rascal Consultancy' idea to spend money and make it haha. Seriously, if that was available right now - I don't think it would be hard to find people to fill it and enjoy the services on offer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tjg1677 said:

Hello everyone,

Just a bit of minor news, Ferry marina, at the end of this season are permanently closing the swimming pool, fish n chip shop and laundrette. The swimming pool doesn't really bother me but the

fish n chips were quite good and the laundry was very useful indeed. Quite why they are doing this I dont know but I guess they will have their reasons - oh! and the moorings are going up too.

Just for information

trev.

Knowing one of the directors, who I maintain would charge just for saying 'Good Morning' if he thought he could get away with it, this news comes as no great surprise. Fish and chips is just so plebian, those who will pay Ferry's increased charges are hardly likely to cross a chippy's threshold let alone use a laundrette. Of course I write in jest - - - - - - - perhaps;).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Knowing one of the directors, who I maintain would charge just for saying 'Good Morning' if he thought he could get away with it, this news comes as no great surprise. Fish and chips is just so plebian, those who will pay Ferry's increased charges are hardly likely to cross a chippy's threshold let alone use a laundrette. Of course I write in jest - - - - - - - perhaps;).

Well tbh it has got me thinking now. Before all this i was borderline happy to stay there, however, not so sure now, dare i say they seem to want the high income bracket  types ( no, not trying to be offensive here, just factual )as opposed to 20+ year old cruiser owners. My moorings next year are going to be in excess of three k, compare that as a pro rata percentage to what the boat cost to buy and it gets a bit eye watering. Does anyone know of a 42 foot mooring going spare from next march??????

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Folk of more modest means might find themselves slowly being ousted from the Broads. Chip swilling plebs no longer welcome. No, I'm not joking.

Sad.....very sad indeed JM. On a slightly lighter note, please explain a "swilling chip?" Ta.

cheersIain

1 minute ago, tjg1677 said:

Well tbh it has got me thinking now. Before all this i was borderline happy to stay there, however, not so sure now, dare i say they seem to want the high income bracket  types ( no, not trying to be offensive here, just factual )as opposed to 20+ year old cruiser owners. My moorings next year are going to be in excess of three k, compare that as a pro rata percentage to what the boat cost to buy and it gets a bit eye watering. Does anyone know of a 42 foot mooring going spare from next march??????

Sixty quid a week, but just how many weeks per year use does your boat get? Twenty weeks, if you are lucky, effectively more than £120.00 per week. Add to that the cost of keeping her on the water, that is eye watering!

2 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Sad.....very sad indeed JM. On a slightly lighter note, please explain a "swilling chip?" Ta.

cheersIain

Swilling chip? Ah ha, chip swilling, as widely practised on Gt Yarmouth Market, often by ladies with three story muffin tops and blokes with chasm like builder's bums and carrying Sports Direct shopping bags.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Swilling chip? Ah ha, chip swilling, as widely practised on Gt Yarmouth Market, often by ladies with three story muffin tops and blokes with chasm like builder's bums and carrying Sports Direct shopping bags.

Lol.......... not stereotyping then.......:angel:

You will pay £4 to 5K for a 30 footer along the South Coast if you can find availability, most have waiting lists.

And not all will be "any state of the tide" which can mean some weekends you will not sail.