Small Bridge Big Boat

loribear

:waveWhen i was looking on pintrest i found a picture of potter heigham with a very large boat going through it , but how on earth did it do it , was the water extra low do you think ? Or has the bridge sunk abit over the years , not sure what year this was . Lori

tmp_23878-1744541612.png

• Like 5

Aquafibre lowliner 38ft of air draft 6ft 9 inches,  lowliner I think is the clue!!

note, the highest point of the boat is forward of anything you can see in that shot, see http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=7229&BoatHistory=12103

Potter bridge average clearance 6ft 5 inches +- 9 inches with tide but I couldn't find a drawing at what width you have that clearance ( the height gauge, I believe, is not the peak centre height)

• Like 1

Having a lowliner myself I was told they were designed to fit under potter . taking Into consideration the shape of the bridge versus the boat . I have yet to have ,mine under potter . My boat was built in 92 . I wonder how much the river has risen since that date :facepalm:

karl 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seriously said:

Having a lowliner myself I was told they were designed to fit under potter . taking Into consideration the shape of the bridge versus the boat . I have yet to have ,mine under potter . My boat was built in 92 . I wonder how much the river has risen since that date :facepalm:

karl 

Doubtless the Pilot at the Phoenix Phoenix Fleet office would be able to tell you, and settle the argument.

Then again.... ;)

• Like 2

Looking at the prop wash and bow wash I'd say the pilot dug a hole under the bridge! for those that think I'm mad a pilot at Potter taught me to do it back in the 80's, the idea is you go full throttle at the bridge which raise the bow, as you get to the bridge you back off the throttle and the bow drops! this dips the bow under the bridge! as you get the bow under you give it full throttle again, this drops the stern under the bridge, it's weird as you effectivly curve your way under the bridge, the first time I tried it, it was a change of underpants job but after that easy, I wouldn't have the nerve to try it now as I believe the bridge has dropped a bit since the 80's, but it's great sitting there watching the pilot do it,,

• Like 4

Just had a wander around and came across this which explains the shapes and clearances of Potter and Wroxham bridges. so here it is, as much as I hate linking to the other place, I won't copy someones work from there to here. ( It was Strowger who did the survey)

http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=22&Topic=39600