Navigation Report Re Stern On Mooring

kfurbank

Great news! never worked out why they even trialed it, I think everyone knew beforhand the problems except the BA, I had a few near misses there last year with people doing silly things like just pulling out without looking, it would only be a matter of time before there's a serious accident there,,

• Like 1

That is good news - most of you will know I strongly opposed that trial on safety grounds and at least that has gone away. It will be interesting to see now whether the Landlord restores the Woodbastwick moorings, as I suspect he will - he will still be able to double moor on his own frontage and overall, I do not think he will lose a lot.. A lot of hassle  and overall I suspect, the stern mooring added very little to overall numbers.

More alarmingly, further on, I see the new Thurne Mouth mooring, is still having problems and I thought the pontoon mooring was a great idea! I see the landowner will not sign the lease  as yet, because of a potential litter issue - what a really helpful chap he is. Firstly he closes the mooring, he then has a spat with the BA over the planning for his new basin and now he finds something else!!

Enough to drive boaters to drink, let alone the BA negotiators!!!!

51 minutes ago, Mowjo said:

it would only be a matter of time before there's a serious accident there,

There was! It happened to a good friend of ours who actually lived on the boat and the insurance company had to pay for 2 weeks stay in rented accomodation  until the boat was fixed as the damage was that bad.

I'm pleased it has now been stopped as we had a couple of near misses there last year too.

The conditions of the trial make for interesting reading. Whilst I didn't moor there on any occasions I never saw any attendants hanging around. Were there signs to clearly indicate where different lengths of boat could moor? And who was supposed to provide the white lights to hang on the bow? Academic now so those are rhetorical questions ... just very glad like everyone else that this won't be going any further.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, marshman said:

That is good news - most of you will know I strongly opposed that trial on safety grounds and at least that has gone away. It will be interesting to see now whether the Landlord restores the Woodbastwick moorings, as I suspect he will - he will still be able to double moor on his own frontage and overall, I do not think he will lose a lot.. A lot of hassle  and overall I suspect, the stern mooring added very little to overall numbers.

He might with some but we have an emerging trend for boats to carry notices stating that they are unsociable people and don't want other folk mooring alongside despite it having long been the way of the Broads.

JM

With all due respect would you want a dozen tanked up herberts trampling over your boat at midnight and then playing music till 2.00 or 3.00 am which I have witnessed when moored opposite, when double mooring was the accepted norm pubs closed at 10.30 and people treated others with respect sadly that's no longer the case and why people who just want  themselves  and their property to be treated with a bit of respect no longer allow double mooring the past is the past and no longer applies to modern society.

Fred

• Like 1

Agreed although to be fair, presumably the Landlord would be within his rights to turf anyone if , if he so wanted?They are not "public" moorings so I guess he can do as he pleases (he does anyway!! )

Jean  - again to be fair there were often quay attendants around, although they often made matters worse! On the question of lights, I never say any on the boats and indeed did not even know this was a prerequisite of the agreement until JP happened to mention it at meeting after the trial had ended. Not once did i see it mentioned anywhere else, so he let that one slip....!

• Like 2

Rowdy boats at pubs or any other public moorings are not new. Happened in 60s and 70s and a reason why my father rarely moored in Horning. Preferring the wild mooring which now is so scarce though. Living in Horning in the 70s between pubs I can assure you chutching out time at 10.30 was not quiet. Cleaning up boats after an all male group was also not very pleasant. A lot hasn't changed. Drifting away from original thread ....

• Like 5

Having a boat with a well front and aft I would be worried about people (  many boats now can accommodate six plus ) who maybe having had a drink or two negotiating the gaps with ropes and deck gear in the pitch dark ! I wonder what the insurance position would be if someone fell in the well and badly injured themselves ?

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Jean  - again to be fair there were often quay attendants around, although they often made matters worse! On the question of lights, I never say any on the boats and indeed did not even know this was a prerequisite of the agreement until JP happened to mention it at meeting after the trial had ended. Not once did i see it mentioned anywhere else, so he let that one slip....!

:bow I stand corrected and happily accept that the attendants may well have been there given that I never tried to moor there myself. I just never saw any when I was passing by. Unlike Gus who is always in evidence at the New Inn. :bow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

JM

With all due respect would you want a dozen tanked up herberts trampling over your boat at midnight and then playing music till 2.00 or 3.00 am which I have witnessed when moored opposite, when double mooring was the accepted norm pubs closed at 10.30 and people treated others with respect sadly that's no longer the case and why people who just want  themselves  and their property to be treated with a bit of respect no longer allow double mooring the past is the past and no longer applies to modern society.

Fred

Fred, also with due respect, if someone objects to such behaviour, and I would, then don't moor there. Double mooring is almost mandatory outside some pubs. This is a topic that could run and run but the harsh reality is that there is a shortage of moorings at popular hotspots and we need to be able to share. After all, we might be the ones that are glad to moor alongside someone else.

As far as insurance is concerned then provided folk have taken all reasonable precautions, especially in regard to trip hazards, then I doubt that there will be problems. 

Talking about closing time! For the Fisherman of GY and Lowestoft, the cow men of Norfolk early morning surgery at the local pub was a must. 

Last orders meant lock the doors at 10:30 pm. To stop plod getting in...............If he was not there already.

These were Norfolk drinking hours. You could see car lights across the marsh for miles, nobody ever got caught.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wussername said:

These were Norfolk drinking hours. You could see car lights across the marsh for miles, nobody ever got caught.

Who remembers those days, when the Norwich pubs closed at 10.30, but the Norfolk pubs closed at 11.00?

In my youth, our "in" crowd used to drink in the Trowel and Hammer, on the Newmarket road. When that closed, all the sons of farmers would get into daddy's Land Rover and race through Norwich to Thorpe, to get a couple in at the Thorpe Gardens, then known as the Boat and Bottle. Land Rovers could get a fair speed up down Prince of Wales Rd and were known to leave the ground, as they went over Foundry Bridge!

Then it was all into Hearts Cruisers' tow boat and on down river to Whitlingham Bend, where you could drink and dance in the pavilion of the Norwich Amateur Rowing club, until the small hours.

I think I had a mis-spent youth.

• Like 2

Pub opening hours, 1960's

I know that there. Lot of younger folk who read and post on here, and I was wondering if they were aware of opening times back then.
Incidentally as I remember it, same rules applied to outdoors, selling alcohol.

Monday to Saturday
Lunchtime 11.30 am -3.00 pm
Evening. 5.30pm to 10.30 pm

Sunday's
Lunchtime 12 noon - 2.00 pm
Evening 7 pm to 10 pm.

I have spent my life in London and these are the hours I remember except Friday and Saturday when it was 11-00pm that's why we had lock ins

Fred

Dreadful, absolutely dreadful. I can remember driving home with one eye shut. With two I could see double. I had a 1937 Austin 7 convertible. We all helped to drive it. It went very slowly. Hood down, six up.

Full of Watneys Red Barrel. Or pints of two's. Nothing to be proud of these days but we knew no better.

Andrew

• Like 3