What Are These Tools For?

brandenjg

Hello forumites Ive been tasked with clearing up B.I.L's shed for him and I've come across a few tools I'm clueless about. I'm trying to work out the uses and value of the tools so I can get him some money together towards his project. Also came across a beer pump and a big calor gas bottle he didn't know he had.

DSC_0286.thumb.JPG.de2ac0bdd2c633cb1ba792652eb58565.JPGDSC_0287.thumb.JPG.fc7705b4e4d480ace8f48b86a1d77870.JPGDSC_0285.thumb.JPG.1ffc63203ccc16bb19278a982946d852.JPGScreenshot_2017-02-22-21-37-57.thumb.jpg.b0815547a9802bb3027e3edf0f4e451d.jpgScreenshot_2017-02-22-21-38-59.thumb.jpg.37bb91222f5f194fa10ad4cfe4e628fb.jpg

• Like 3

Lots of verniers, calipers, dial gauges, micrometers etc. Someone used to be an engineer or maybe manufactured items on a lathe?

The little tool with the five fingers each end in the bottom right of the first picture is for measuring a threads pitch.

The pump thing in the bottom picture is lost on me though I suspect one or two on here will have a very good idea!  lol 

• Like 3

That's a handsome beer engine you have there Brandon!(I think) Looking closely, it appears to have huntsmen scenes on the handle which are very similar to the original Tetley pumps.

The reason for the "I think" is that I'm not expert and I know there have been some very clever mock ups to try and persuade the quaffer that they are receiving the real stuff. Now they would never try and kid us would they????

The long thing with a handle like a funny chisel is a white metal bearing scraper, i last used one those in about 1976 on a large big end bearing ona refrigeration compressor, lots of engineering blue on that job!!

The gauges are dial test gauges for checking roundness, or play in a lathe shaft ect.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, diesel falcon said:

The long thing with a handle like a funny chisel is a white metal bearing scraper, i last used one those in about 1976 on a large big end bearing ona refrigeration compressor, lots of engineering blue on that job!!

The gauges are dial test gauges for checking roundness, or play in a lathe shaft ect.

Yes, definitely a bearing scraper used for larger bearing journals to ensure a good annular fit. Used one identical to that last in 1982 to fettle the brass journals on a minesweeping winch input shaft.

Third picture is a deflection gauge for checking radial throwout (concentricity ) on shafting and rotary equipment. Very useful for checking your propshaft is not bent !

Fourth pic, the v shaped gadget is a centre finder used for finding the centre of a circle.

cheers

Trev

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

http://retrocalculators.com/charpentier.htm

It could be worth a bob or two!

Fingers crossed. I've just sent some pics to a dealer, if they offer anything over £20 then I'll know it's actually valuable. I've been caught out many times like that then seen the items pride of place in the window with a price tag 10x what I was paid.

• Like 2

Hi Brandenjg,

There is a couple of Beer Pump Engines on Ebay currently. One is on a BIN at £49 and the other is a auction and is currently £28 with four bidders.

The engineering tools are interesting but may not be worth that much, anyone in engineering would have to send the micrometers & dial gauges away for calibration checking before use.

The original cost of these tools would have been an arm & several legs!

Regards

Alan  

• Like 3

On 23 February 2017 at 8:55 AM, JennyMorgan said:http://retrocalculators.com/charpentier.htm

It could be worth a bob or two!

What a fantastic circular slide rule, it even has pi 3.1415926......

Wow... nice piece of engineering. 

Should easily calculate areas of circles, also missing sides in right angled triangles, (pythagorus) etc. and many complex multiplications, batteries not included too, so no running costs.

I bet a few people have been known to use the micrometer as a G clamp lol, or a vernier as an adjustable spanner... doh...

Internal and external calipers excellent precision engineering tools there, may be used by a tool maker. 

• Like 3