Perfect Timing

ZimbiIV

Just had a cold call while I was in my shed (smallest bedroom) so I put the phone to the radio, just in time for Donna Sommer to sing........

"Enough is enough is enough I can't go on."

Caller hung up for some reason.

Can anyone think of a better tune to have been playing?

paul

• Like 2

re cold calling

being poorly I need what sleep I can get and there is a number that's been plaguing me and waking me

they call several times a day and its ..........

I checked it out through google and it looks like its an american number that charges you if you answer.

In my opinion the best thing you can do to eliminate cold calls is this.

Aswell as registering with the TPS you need to get yourself a telephone that screens your calls automatically.  Obviously you have to spend initially for the hardware but there should be no monthly subcriptions on top of your phone bill.

We have a BT8500 twin walkabout phone with nuisance call blocker.  Basically any phone number you havent entered into the machine as VIP will be screened silently, the caller will have to state their name and if they do you will be alerted. If its a person you need to speak to you can add the caller to your VIP list and answer and if its a nuisance call you can block the number without even answering. 

We have had it over a year now and 99.9% of nuisance callers just hang up and dont even bother, from getting probably 5 nuisance calls a day we now get none and callers we wish to speak to still get through. 

It didnt cost the earth and while we shouldnt have to go to these lengths we feel it was money well spent.  

Edit, I have just thought you will need caller display for it to work and that might be an extra monthly cost!!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jillR said:

I have just checked and my TPS is still active but that number gets past it.

I have caller display so I know not to pick up.

perhaps I will give BT a bell and see what they say.

Hi Jill , unfortunately the TPS register is a register of people who do not wish to be contacted by cold callers , these companies are supposed to check the register before calling, its only legitimate  companies that follow this route.

The number you quoted is one used by shisters who claim you have a problem with, your broadband , laptop , telephone line etc ....all to gain your bank details the best thing is to block them .....but they will be back with a different number.

When they ring and ask for someone I now I say "hang on I will go and get them" then leave the phone on the side until they hang up.... you would be suprised the fun you can have with these idiots and I recommend you take this most satisfactory route.

:dance

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, imtamping2 said:

When they ring and ask for someone I now I say "hang on I will go and get them" then leave the phone on the side until they hang up

I have been known to do that in the past among slightly more nasty things but ...

when I checked this number out, they appear to have managed to phone then reverse charge the person they call.

quo .... spot on.

• Like 2

We are registered with TPS - it works fairly well but won't stop unscrupulous foreign callers.

In the early days I used to try and get a name / number so I could forward it onto the TPS people.  Nowadays I can't be bothered, I have a standard answer to nuisance calls which goes - 'Oy, your breath stinks, go and brush your teeth then call me back' - then instantly hang up.  Strangely they never call me back and we seem to be getting less and less nuisance calls nowadays

Griff

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

If we see "Number Withheld" or "International Call" we pick up Mary-Jane's "Acme Thunderer" before the phone...........

They seldom call back!     :shocked

The only problem with this is and we found out to our cost the doctor calling us had a withheld number.   We do not block them anymore.

It is worrying though that people like my late Mum who had Alzheimer's dementia would answer the phone quite genuinely and be conned.      I do remember once when I was there at her house I heard her chatting away to someone on the phone , mainly about the price of tea in Tescos and it turned out to be one of 'those calls'    This was about 5 years ago though.

• Like 1

Unless you are a business, get rid of the landline. Best move I ever made... Mind you I have a 'thing' about ringing phones. When I was a kid my mum would ring me from her work to get me out of bed for school. Consequently I cannot abide a phone left to ring. A ringing phone just has to be answered. I'm also known to automatically answer a ringing phone especially the old bell type ringtone ones by saying ' I'm awake Mum!' and then putting the phone down. 

18 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Just had a cold call while I was in my shed (smallest bedroom) so I put the phone to the radio, just in time for Donna Sommer to sing........

"Enough is enough is enough I can't go on."

Caller hung up for some reason.

Can anyone think of a better tune to have been playing?

paul

That reminded of one Hot Summer Saturday night when we were stuck in a traffic jam driving along Piccadilly London. Along side us was an open top car with a couple of lads in who were playing the most diabolical music. My husband wound down his window and  told them their taste in music was awful  and said " now this is decent music and turned on our CD player having no real idea what would play and it was Donna Summer and Barbra Streisand belting out" Enough is Enough"! The timing couldn't have been better, they couldn't believe their ears and roared with laughter.

Carole

• Like 3

My mobile is registered with tps. There is no phone plugged into landline. I have recently been getting cold calls from+0  or+00000000. I never answer but they  are usually followed by "unknown "  number which I have to answer as I am  sometimes contacted through these. This unknown number usually follows about 15 mins. After  the +0 number and is a recording stating I have the chance  to win £500 I  have never listened beyond this point. 

• Like 1

I have been thinking of one of those mobile wi fi things, pay as you go,  that I could use to connect with my lappy

and a fairly simple mobile phone as I don't need one of those fussy all dancing jobbies.

then no landline phone yay. and a thing that will let me connect most places.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, jillR said:

then no landline phone yay. and a thing that will let me connect most places.

I have an 'internet package'...steady...as I use it a hell of a lot, but I just don't plug the landline in...I don't even know what the number is. I just use my mobile.

• Like 1