AQUAFIBRE MOULDS

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

There are moulds which could be used such as the Pearl, Diamond or Opal but they are not as up to date as what we will be building except the Opal which is still a nice boat, the Diamond never really took off but someone may oneday put a new top on the hull.

It is a shame really as they are all practical boats but fashions change although the odd one or two diamonds and opals are still being produced.

the 27 foot is not there, lots have been cut up, perhaps they went to thorpe when Bounty sold the moulds to Stelco?

I have been wandering about the moulds over the last few months just being nosey (with permission) while on other business, I dont know what is at thorpe as I have not been down there.

Hmmm, not heard of Stelco but a quick Google search tells me a bit more about them - are they still on the go? Did they take a lot of the Bounty moulds then? I see they produced a 20ft model called the 'Deltic' - a fine make of engine from 50s MTB's (and of course the railway loco and ton class minehunters) so that caught my interest in the name alone (sadly don't think a 20ft boat would take an 18 cylinder 2 stroke from Napier!)

I emailed AF in 2006 about the 27ft mould and they said they had it at that time (quoted to mould a hull and superstructure for my dad) so wonder if they have indeed broken it up? I see the elysian register website also talks about the mould tools - www.elysianregister.co.uk - click on 'history' and then 2nd page of the Bounty 27 pages.

Sorry, this is going a bit off topic for a thread about AF!!

cheers,

James.

Whatho Folks

I dont really know whats happened to the "New Elysian" moulds. As James says Aquafibre definately had them very recently, so I would think they are still sat there or are to be cut up if it hasn't already happened. :( I cant really see anyone going into production on any great scale with them, as although they've aged well and still look good there's much more modern aft cockpit boats around, though of course it'd be great to see a few more knocked out from somewhere.

Sheerline definately had and have some of the last designs Bounty's, that were made, they were making the Sovereign 34 Sunbridge until really recently - like this one: http://www.thamesboatsales.co.uk/boat_d ... %20Delight

Still... when they were making them the New Elysian mould was at Aquafibre, so I'm not sure there's any connection

Dan

Hmm,. even more interesting, thanks Clive.

I also put the postcode of Sheerline/Wroxham Marine into google maps knowing that they are nearby too, and it comes up as being at the 'City Boats' shed on the link you posted - just across the way. However, there doesn't seem to be any Sheerline looking moulds at that site, so wonder if they have anything to do with it also?

How off topic is this now huh? We're gonna get moved off into another thread by Brian if we ain't careful!!! :naughty:

cheers,

James.

Sheerline definately had and have some of the last designs Bounty's, that were made, they were making the Sovereign 34 Sunbridge until really recently

Wow. posted at almost the same time as me Dan - about the possible link with Sheerline - seperated at birth you see ;)

• 8 years later...
1 hour ago, BB37 said:

Went to Rackheath today and all of the Aquafibre mould have gone. The Diamond and Opal mould are used by Barnes Brinkcraft, but where are the rest?

Aren't they still at brooms they were a few yrs back .

The Pearl was in 35 and 38ft versions yes?. If so, the 38 would make an excellent 4 berth with the layout as is, but with the fwd end having one double cabin with walk round double, and seperate en suite toilet and shower comps, a bit like the centre cockpit Sheerline 31s.  Nice boats with a nice low air draught.

12 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I notice you HAVE`NT said whether you had any of them or not?.

i really wanted the ocean 30 hull but would have never done anything with it, 

the 29 was the coupe version but also didn't have the internal moulding, i did have  the opportunity to buy  mouldings from someone else though 

the others we ancient except the pearl which i like but had been stored badly anyway

there was also a few swimming pool and hot tub moulds.. 

Just a bit of a further update. The last few moulds were either sold off or cut up. They remaining ones included the Pearl 38 and an Ocean 31 and a Broom 29 as Clive mentioned. It is understood that a company in Ireland bought some of the moulds.

However the good news is that the Broom 29 moulds (which turned into a Haines 29) have been bought by Swancraft (Shadow) and they intend to produce these again.

So, if you are the market for a top quality build.........:91_thumbsup:

(now where's that lottery ticket) :default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

i really wanted the ocean 30 hull but would have never done anything with it, 

the 29 was the coupe version but also didn't have the internal moulding, i did have  the opportunity to buy  mouldings from someone else though 

the others we ancient except the pearl which i like but had been stored badly anyway

there was also a few swimming pool and hot tub moulds.. 

Presumably these are the moulds used by RGW Roe & Son at Rackheath, since 2010 when Aquafibre stoped.

MM

Your  comments regarding the Ocean 30 are music to my husbands's ears! Interesting that Brooms supposedly had the moulds. Last year there was some discussion whether the Ocean 30 would be allowed at the Broom meet.The answer was no as they were nothing to do with Brooms. I found it strange that that being thee case why did Brooms allow the Ocean 30 carry their name for so long?

• Like 1