Fishing.

Poppy

18 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

this comment make no sense to me. 

Voicing your opinion whether for or against is part of what a forum is all about.

Agreed, but an opinion needs to be supported by substantive information if sonmeone who is not an expert in the subject is to be able to evaluate it. Most opinions in this thread have had no supporting evidence. That does not lead to good, well informed debate.

Big Bream, you call yourself a match angler, in other words a competitive angler, thus you are a sportsman. Sports have rules and seasons, e.g. football. Football is no different to river match fishing, both have a season, why is that a problem? 

I no longer fish matches, just not my thing now but years ago I fished matches on the big Midland Rivers where a match length was often measured in miles rather than metres or yards. The rivers were hammered week in, week out. By the late eighties the bubble burst, fish stocks plummeted and only now are the rivers such as the Welland, Trent & Witham back on form. 

Times have changed, agreed, and so has the cost of entering a match, what with pool & bait it's easy to spend fifty quid or more as I'm sure you know. Good to have a break now and again.

The fish benefit from a break, especially from those big, bulging keep-nets. Unlike commercial waters our rivers don't have stock-ponds from which to top up lost casualties from match fishing. Instead we have a close season! 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Speleologist said:

Agreed, but an opinion needs to be supported by substantive information if sonmeone who is not an expert in the subject is to be able to evaluate it. Most opinions in this thread have had no supporting evidence. That does not lead to good, well informed debate.

So effectively theres a few members probably including me who need not contribute to this thread is this what your saying? 

A good 80% of this forums content will probably be based on opinion...........

add in the 20% fact from the informed members like Timbo and I reckon thats a pretty good balance. 

Sigh............

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

So effectively theres a few members probably including me who need not contribute to this thread is this what your saying? 

No, I'm definitely not saying that, but unless you're prepared to explain why you hold your opinion then there is no way other readers can evaluate it. So far in this thread there have been several opinions with no explanation of why. It does nothing to help others decide whether the opinion is valid. By all menas express an opinion, but it will mean much more to people reading it if it's supported by a justification. Otherwise, as Psychic Surveyor pointed out, it becomes an argument, not a debate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dnks34 said:

I vote the BA/EA employ a few of these to patrol the rivers and eat anyone they come across flouting the law......

There's one on the Waveney, last time I saw it it was 86 pounds! I have heard that it came out last winter at over 100 pounds.

Just now, dnks34 said:

Really! I never knew there were any in the Broads.

At least one. Some time ago a fisheries tanker sprung a leak on the Beccles byepass, right by the bridge. Rather than have dead fish all over the road Plod ordered the driver to shoot his cargo into the river. I was one of the first to catch the catfish @18lbs 6oz, sheer luck! Since then I know of three more captures. Quite a few carp were released too, biggest one I've heard of came out at 48 lbs!

• Like 1

Thats very interesting JM!  I had heard there are Carp around but never a Catfish. 

Are Carp naturally found in the Broads or did they get in by mistake.

Ive only ever caught silver fish, perch, skimmer, the odd bream and a few pike.  My son had a small Bass at Reedham ferry a few years ago to! 

I would love to catch a truly wild tench or carp from the broads,

Pike absolutely fascinate me although I dont fish for them very often, when I do I prefer to use spinners or spoons than deadbaits these days.  

There are tench and carp on the Broads. Tench...top reaches of the Ant caught a lovely brace. Compact river tench...go off like steam trains. Same for river carp too. I've caught a mirror carp in the very low doubles from the BA moorings just before Beccles. I assumed it had arrived via the fishery behind?

• Like 1

Re Broads carp, blessed nuisance fish, some arrived via that leaking tanker and some probably have been washed out of lakes or ponds by floods, as happened at Flixton a number of years ago. I've never had one of the huge ones but then I've never actually targeted them. Pike & roach I have a passion form, carp, no, 'fraid not!

My thoughts on the carp industry!

http://charliecarp.com/environmental-charlie

Anyways, to go back to the earlier postings about illegal fishing I have found out the following....

1/ That the boat in question is a ‎licenced eel fisherman for this area and has the correct license tags and permission from the Environment Agency to fish with Fyke nets in the Broads for eels, so they are legal.

2/The 2 anglers on the cruiser fishing with rod and line out of season are fishing illegally. This particular incident was reported to the Environment Agency and has been dealt with.

3/ Any illegal fishing activity should be reported to the Environment Agency incident Hotline on 0800 807060 which is a 24 hour service. 

• Like 9

Thank you Hot Fuzz, Keeping people updated on these things  does encourage vigilance for this and other (perhaps more important) issues. Illegal activity is illegal activity. If a person thinks the law is wrong then get the law changed by legal means, not by breaking it.

I know there will be those who do not hold this opinion.... but I do! 

• Like 6

I really wasn't going to post a response to your comment Grendel but just couldn't resist any longer, it's highly likely and extremely probable that I have used the words 'hot and 'wild' when referring to our Stuart :naughty: I'm getting me coat lol

Back to the fishing, I was told by a chap at Hickling when we were there a few weeks ago that there have been a few carp weighing up 8 or 9 pounds being caught on the Broad, I have only ever caught one river carp of about 5 pounds, it fought like a shark, although I prefer silver fish and perch, it was great fun landing him

Grace

• Like 1

Speaking of Carp I was watching a program on one of the sky channels lastnight called riverman set in the USA.  They have a real problem with Asian Carp over there, the will literally jump out of the water when spooked hitting whatever is in their path and landing in boats, their numbers are huge, they treat them as vermin as they are destroying the native fish stocks and injuring the fisherman! 

Question, were back in Sept for our 2nd week which normally involves a fishing battle between us two so 2 licences.

In Sept there will be Sister and Niece in the battle so 4 off with 2 rods.

Do we need 4 licences or stay with 2?

If all 4 people are taking turns with 2 rods then you will need 4 licences, thats providing the sister and niece are adults, 16 and under fish free, I think 12-16 year olds do need to register for the free licence. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

1/ That the boat in question is a ‎licenced eel fisherman for this area and has the correct license tags and permission from the Environment Agency to fish with Fyke nets in the Broads for eels, so they are legal

I'm not going to say I told you so, but ...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gracie said:

I really wasn't going to post a response to your comment Grendel but just couldn't resist any longer, it's highly likely and extremely probable that I have used the words 'hot and 'wild' when referring to our Stuart :naughty: I'm getting me coat lol

Back to the fishing, I was told by a chap at Hickling when we were there a few weeks ago that there have been a few carp weighing up 8 or 9 pounds being caught on the Broad, I have only ever caught one river carp of about 5 pounds, it fought like a shark, although I prefer silver fish and perch, it was great fun landing him

Grace

You come to my home village and don't call in for a glass or two?

• Like 2