Stupidity On Boats

Bob48

In September last year we were moored at How Hill near the down stream end. During the afternoon we chanced to look back up stream and spotted a plume of smoke coming from a boat. I was worried and together with another chap from the next boat we ran down in case help was needed. As it turned out the smoke was coming from a Richo's bathtub and the hirer had lit a disposable BBQ inside. The smoke was unbelievable, so bad the hirer got his wife to carry it out of the boat (still alight) and put it in the pathway. The poor woman was left gasping for air from the hot smoke  and the bloke soon followed, not to see that she was OK but to bring a folding chair and sausages.

When politely asked why he had even thought that it was a good idea to light a BBQ in a boat the reply was that it must have been a duff BBQ because they don't smoke that much in the garden at home. I wasn't worth continuing the conversation so after checking that the woman was OK we left them to it. (Richo's were informed).

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Unbelievable, or is it really!  I can only think that these folk have no common sense, don't read newspapers or watch/listen to the news or they think they are immune to anything going wrong. 

You couldn't make it up,!

Carole

On 05/05/2017 at 11:43 AM, Jonzo said:

I didn't realise it was filmed by the people themselves - In which case no problem it being here at all.

A very daft thing to do, especially on a boat that isn't theirs.

They probably wouldn't do it if they owned the boat

Carole

22 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I have seen privateers doing some incredibly stupid things, witness the RIB collision on Oulton Broad last August that sadly resulted in two disfigured children and their mother. Indeed I'm more inclined to despair at what some privateers do over what hirers ever do. Whilst both factions can be incredibly ignorant privateers surely have no excuse! 

The excuse is that any nitwit can just as easily buy a boat as as hire one. And buying one isn't necessarily followed by an injection of common sense.

Carole

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

One of these could be the answer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asado-Grill-Stainless-Boat-BBQ-for-Instant-BBQs-/401083058577?hash=item5d6269c991:g:PdcAAOSwv9hW2sga

Only problem is the ash creating tide lines on neighbouring hulls :naughty:

I have one of these.  They're great, and big enough to cope with a lovely bass I pulled out of the water at Goodchilds and filleted! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Heaven forbid that they found dog hairs in the shower as I am sure did happen. How to tell 'em apart? The sniff test.

It's the only way to distinguish between poodle and pube :naughty:

I recollect seeing a few years ago a disposable bbq placed directly on the cabin roof of a hire boat. The hirers were a drunken bunch of louts and totally unapproachable. Their ghetto blaster was also on the cabin roof churning out indescribable noise at full blast. In no way could it be described as music.

Needless to say, nobody approached them to warn what damage could be done by the bbq and no doubt they lost their deposit and if the boatyard had any sense would have barred them for life.  

I've had a quick look at the relevant part of the offending footage.

Put it like this, there are good reasons why a similar setup would fail a BSS examination on several counts (and although I've never come across such a setup on the Broads, I know from talking to other examiners that they have found liveaboards on the canals using something like that). Therefore, although I wouldn't want to quantify the risks involved, it's fair to say that the risk is such that it does not meet the minimum safety standards of the navigation authority (in this case the BA). I'm pretty certain that the hire yard's insurers would also not consider it an acceptable risk. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a clause in the hire yard's terms and conditions specifically banning hirers from bringing portable gas appliances on board, and if there isn't, there probably should be. Having said that, how many people actually read all of the terms & conditions they sign up to when they hire a boat?

As far as absolute risk goes, I'd actually be more worried by the incident described above where somebody saw a charcoal BBQ being lit inside a boat. In normal use these produce considerable quantities of carbon monoxide (and in fact continue to do so even after the ashes have cooled to ambient temperature), and the risk of developing CO poisoning relatively quickly when one is lit inside a boat is not inconsiderable.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, teadaemon said:

Put it like this, there are good reasons why a similar setup would fail a BSS examination on several counts

I have not seen this film as we are en route back to Norfolk and have just connected to wifi in a very pleasant Campanile hotel in Chateauroux, which is somewhere in central France according to my wife. I drive, she navigates.   :nosey:

The use of portable gas appliances on boats of category A,B,C or D (Cat D relates to inland waterways boats) is totally forbidden by EC regulation EN ISO 10239 part 2 of 2002. For some reason this does not seem to have been applied on the Broads although all new boats built there now conform to these categories. I am sure that the BSS must have something similar, however. There is no point in having complex and detailed gas installation safety regulations if some berk can simply put a Camping Gas stove on the deck and light a barbeque!!

I can also confirm that both of the companies I worked for in France have clearly stated in their conditions of hire that the use of portable barbeques on boats is forbidden unless they are set up on the bank.

The dangers are obvious enough but if this film shows them having a barbeque under way then they are nothing but ignorant idiots.

By the way, there is no practical way of "banning" someone from hiring a boat. They only have to make the next booking in the name of someone else in the party. Boatyards may dearly wish to operate a black list, but it is not feasible.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, StillCruising said:

In September last year we were moored at How Hill near the down stream end. During the afternoon we chanced to look back up stream and spotted a plume of smoke coming from a boat. I was worried and together with another chap from the next boat we ran down in case help was needed. As it turned out the smoke was coming from a Richo's bathtub and the hirer had lit a disposable BBQ inside. The smoke was unbelievable, so bad the hirer got his wife to carry it out of the boat (still alight) and put it in the pathway. The poor woman was left gasping for air from the hot smoke  and the bloke soon followed, not to see that she was OK but to bring a folding chair and sausages.

When politely asked why he had even thought that it was a good idea to light a BBQ in a boat the reply was that it must have been a duff BBQ because they don't smoke that much in the garden at home. I wasn't worth continuing the conversation so after checking that the woman was OK we left them to it. (Richo's were informed).

the mind truly boggles , doesn,t it . beyond belief really 

57 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Some folk even take their cats on holiday:facepalm:

Many years ago I was on one of the canals in the Midlands. I met a couple who had been moored for about a day and a half waiting for their cat to return. Apparently the said moggie would escape from the boat and go hunting in the surrounding fields. Stuffed full of field mice and other wildlife it would doss off to sleep and return when it thought fit.

It makes one wonder if you own the cat or does it own you? I think the latter is a great possibility.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bob48 said:

the mind truly boggles , doesn,t it . beyond belief really 

It also boggles the mind that given the price of hiring a boat on the Broads there people must have a decent job in some sort of industry.

WE ARE DOOMED!       :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

There is no point in having complex and detailed gas installation safety regulations if some berk can simply put a Camping Gas stove on the deck and light a barbeque!!

I almost spat my coffee out......hillarious Vaughan!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thingamybob said:

It also boggles the mind that given the price of hiring a boat on the Broads there people must have a decent job in some sort of industry.

WE ARE DOOMED!       :)

I once watched a flotilla of hire cruisers follow each other onto the putty on Breydon. Found out later that it was a large school group each boat having a teacher at the helm. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

I once watched a flotilla of hire cruisers follow each other onto the putty on Breydon. Found out later that it was a large school group each boat having a teacher at the helm. 

Why am I not surprised at that. So often when having any information concerning today's teachers it seems to me to be a case of the blind leading the blind.

Carole

• Like 4

19 hours ago, StillCruising said:

The smoke was unbelievable, so bad the hirer got his wife to carry it out of the boat (still alight) and put it in the pathway. The poor woman was left gasping for air from the hot smoke  and the bloke soon followed, not to see that she was OK but to bring a folding chair and sausages.

This bloke is daft! He didn't bring any beer out?! :naughty:

• Like 3