A New Chapter Begins

ChrisB

Having had one of the best nights sleep that I have had for a long time, not wakening until 0700 I opened my curtains to a lovely still and sunny morning. As I made tea I thought to myself " it is not going to get better than this so you better do it" 

After breakfast I put my summer canopy in the car along with a roll, banana and milk to make tea and set off for Stalham.  I put on the lighter canopy ran up the engine and cast off. At the end of Stalham Dyke I noticed the outboard telltale was getting weak so moored without trouble at Paddy's and pricked it out with a pipe cleaner. Having had a cup of tea I made my way to Gay's and went astern into the side on moorings to eat my lunch I then went round the perimeter of Barton twice to put a bit back in the batteries before returning to Broadsedge.

Not an outstanding voyage but my first trip, now, single handed since being widowed. It was a bit mixed emotionally, I loved being out on Barton again but the sight of an empty Pilot Seat brought on a lump. 

Sitting at home I am much happier now that I have been out on the boat and think that I will have a night out on it later in the week.

I would often single hand when I had sailing boats, but they do as you tell them, small motor cruisers set off like scalded greyhounds at the smallest breath. The one good thing about such boats is their ability to claw off a lee mooring astern with the outboard hard over so it is leeward for me from now on with the boat pinned to the shore it gives my ancient body a chance to get off and secure the warps.

• Like 24

I can only echo what Dave said above, let us know how you get on when you stay overnight. It would be lovely to read and maybe share some of the wonderful memories you clearly have

I am so pleased for you and well done :clap

Grace

• Like 5

Chris, thanks for sharing, I think you need to share your emotions more, I certainly have, and the forum members are really helpful. They have supported me in many ways. I have had many PM's from people that have given a lot of advice on how to get through some of lifes challenges. 

Here as I rest on our boat, having an awake moment, I never thought I would have the confidence again to stop on the boat, this break is for 9 days. 

The first night for you will be the most challenging, after that you will gain more strength.

I know you well enough to know that you will take care, but in a mooring situation, you really must wear your lifejacket, easy to think you can cope, but on my first attempt at a wild mooring since my condition, I realised I wasn't as nimble as I thought, that shook me up a bit, so lifejacket every time for me.

Look after yourself Chris, we are thinking of you.

Richard and Roz

• Like 8

Thanks Richard and Roz, 

If my deliveries come at a reasonable time I might try to get out tonight. I do wear my jacket now that I am single handed. The new one that I bought from SeaSafe following one of mine being too old to certify is very comfortable. The covers zip off so that you can have more than one colour. I have a navy one for boating and a tweed one to wear when I am shooting along the river at night. They also have an embroidery service. I was very impressed with my dealings with them. Enjoy your time afloat, no doubt about it your move to the Thames was a stroke of genius on your part.

• Like 3

Out for the night. Bit of a cheat, wanted to keep my newlycleaned decks! So picked up a mooring buoy. Picture of what it is like living on a 20 footer.

Just making tea then will change the curtains for my best ones.

DSC_0418.JPG

• Like 8

Chris, I can make a 40 footer look like that:bow

you need to try harder:party:

i like the mooring buoy solution to keeping the racks clean.

I shall be finishing off my teak decks tonight. My plan is to just keep people off the boat!!! I don't have to share the beer or wine thencheers

sounds like the boat is going ok?

• Like 3

Yes, but still finding things missing and needed after so long a lay up.

My electric fly killer shaped like a tennis racket for one. This hot weather has brought out the horse flies and those triangular ones that really pack a bite.

• Like 2

You're not kidding about those flies Chris, I'm sure I have a sign around my neck in horsefly language saying "free food here"

I've found an insect repellent wrist band on Amazon that seems to work for me, I've not been bitten whilst on the Broads for the last two years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FAMILY-PACK-DEAL-Repellent-Bracelets/dp/B01DL72SAI/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1495716102&sr=8-16&keywords=insect+repellent+bands

the individual refills are sealed and last for 2 weeks

• Like 3

Deet is very good but you have to be so careful with it. It melts certain plastics, wrecks PVC. I rarely use it because of my glasses (eye type)

• Like 2

They say it's an I'll wind that does nobody any good since having chemo in 2005/6 I who used to get bitten so  badly I often used to end up in A & E now get bitten very rarely with no dire effects in the rare event  that I get bitten at all, my poor husband gets bitten instead!

Carole

• Like 1

Years ago when i was a single man, i used to hanker for a Norman Conquest which would be easy to singlehand. Now however, i`m happily married with a 43 footer.  That said, i still love the idea of cruising on the Kennet and Avon, or the Wey, and the Basingstoke canal in a Conquest, so i envy you Chris for living MY dream. 

I said the canals and rivers above as they`re local.

9 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Years ago when i was a single man, i used to hanker for a Norman Conquest which would be easy to singlehand. Now however, i`m happily married with a 43 footer.  That said, i still love the idea of cruising on the Kennet and Avon, or the Wey, and the Basingstoke canal in a Conquest, so i envy you Chris for living MY dream. 

I said the canals and rivers above as they`re local.

Boat size is something I have pondered for ever. In our mid twenties Judith and I built a 19ft SeaWych which we used every weekend travelling to Poole Harbour with two small children to sail out to Studland and the near Solent harbours.

A career move in my early thirties provided a very useful increase and along came a Westerly Centaur. At 26ft we would get lost in it after the cramped SeaWych. The Centaur, looking back was the ideal boat for us at that time, well built, safe, easily handled and with an engine that you could motor into a channel gale. Easily capable of rounding St Alban's Head and Portland so opening up the West Country and both sides of the Channel.

A seat on the Board then provided a Westerly Berwick, at 31ft it was a step too far. The small increas in draft did not suit our beautiful mooring on the River Frome Nr Warham. Parts of the harbour were now too shallow. She was just too big for pottering. 

One afternoon having finished early I called in at Windsor Marina. The Berth next to ours at Ridge Wharf had become vacant and I asked Commander Clarke the then owner to hold it for me. As fate would have it I found exactly what I was looking for at Windsor. A Shetland Blackhawk with a 90hp Mercury on the back, just 6 months old. Saturday saw us heading to Warham towing the Shetland at the start of our holiday. Like the title of this thread, a new chapter, we had a great time sleeping on the Berwick but jumping on the Shetland for a fast blast to the beach.

As our sons got older we gave up boating for a few years as education, rugby, cricket etc took priority. 

By my early fifties I had decided to give up work at 55, move to the West and buy another sailing cruiser but things had changed and Judith no longer felt safe offshore. We started coming to Norfolk and decided to make the move from The Chilterns and Thames Valley.

By now stiffness caused by athritis and sports injury were making themself known so reluctantly I decided on a motor boat. Nothing too large or over complicated, as our home is only 20 minutes or so away. 

My choice would have been to look for another Blackhawk and had it stripped and completely refurbished to new condition. Potter at any state of tide appealed as The Upper Thurne is my favourite. But the dreaded arthritis means I need to be able to stand, at 5'7" ( used to be 5'8" but have lost an inch somewhere) I can stand throughout in the Viking 20. Another deciding factor was the price, which actually matched the tax free some on one of my small pensions.

Another beautiful morning! I shall grab a few things at Tesco and go and lock myself in my garden for the duration. My house is on the Paston Way, infact our track down forms part of it so I can walk without touching the car over the Bank Holiday. 

I hope everyone has a good holiday weekend and half term.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I was awake early this morning. I don't use power tools on a Sunday because I think it unfair on folk in the village who only have Sundays to enjoy with family and friends. So I was going to get stuck in to some serious lawn and hedge cutting and then go shopping as the fridge is running on reserve.

However it was so calm and warm I made a small egg bagette, an apple and cold fizzy water and went down to Broadsedge. Looked at Paddys but kept going, How Hill, Ludham Bridge but ended up at South Walsham. Had my lunch and set off back. Just got home. Half a cold pizza and salad from last night but not bothered had a good day.

Have to be honest though, I am struggling sleeping aboard alone but I will get there in time.

• Like 12

It's a tough old time but as you say you will get there. Can't  say  I know how you feel because obviously I don't , but what does shine through is your determination and courage. I know they  say put your best foot forward but in all honesty I'm not sure I'd manage to put any foot forward so well done for the progress you've made. Hope you can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Carole

• Like 4

I'm 100% with Carole here, I have no idea how you feel and I doubt that anyone who has gone through a similar experience knows exactly how YOU feel.

I think you're doing great and with your determination will get there.

Only you will know when the time is right.

Keep at it Chris, one step at a time 

• Like 2

Chris one step at a time, is how my old mum coped with dads passing, after a couple or maybe three years she was doing a lot of what her n dad did but on her own... It took time but you seem as strong willed as she was. Take one day at a time it will eventually come.

Charlie

• Like 5

• 6 months later...