Reserving A Mooring!

addicted

What a load of fuss about nothing. If you call the waterside at Brammerton they will ask if you're eating at the pub and what time you will arrive and how big is the boat. Any passing trade is perfectly entitled to moor there until the reserved time then politely leave as was the implied contract by mooring when the blackboard states when you may not moor there after a certain time . Why is this difficult to comprehend.

As for lady on bank in Horning. No I would have moored anyway. 

If folk want to talk about mooring etiquette why not discuss fishermooring, you know moor ten feet from the end and populate the bank with fishing gear and seats, then refuse to move up. Or moor ten feet from next boat and do the same with the space in between. Had the latter at womak dyke,  we moored anyway in quite a breeze with the oxygen thief boozed up twonk leaving his keep nets ( plural) in the water until the very last second. He only moved it when I told him if he didn't I would crush it. We filmed the whole incident as did the oxygen thiefs friend. I offered to give him the number for broads control but he didn't seem keen. Profligate use of extreme swearing from the fishermen and threat and insults galore we moored up and immediately called Richos who were as much use as a chocolate teapot, claiming they couldn't do anything which is of course rubbish. So no joy with the unofficial we called broads control who were very helpful and took boat details down and said they would catch up with them later as this wasn't the first complaint about them.

M

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Malanka said:

we moored up and immediately called Richos who were as much use as a chocolate teapot, claiming they couldn't do anything which is of course rubbish. So no joy with the unofficial we called broads control who were very helpful and took boat details down and said they would catch up with them later as this wasn't the first complaint about them.

M

High, Malanka.

Mod hat off and I'm NOT trying to court controversy but what on earth could Riccos do about it?

They're a boat hire company after all, not Broads Beat nor Broads Authority.   :default_icon_wave:

• Like 3

Hello my friend no need to take mod hat off just for me. They could call them and say they have had reports of antisocial behaviour, they could take them off their boat (s) plural there we're two. They could do many things if they wanted to.

The two boats left the mooring with not a single sober person aboard, they could barely stand let alone drive a boat. All communicated to broads control and Richos. Video was available if they wanted 

if this was a house rental and an all night party was going on would the same question arise. Still a hire company surely they have a duty of care to other users of the rivers that the service they provide isn't to the detriment of others surely?

maybe I'm just a little naive my father gave me Victorian values and a strict upbringing I'm not ready for the 21st century and can't wait to retire and become a cantankerous old man. I have personal experience of the rudeness and complete lack of customer service awareness of the front of house folks at certain hire firms so it didn't surprise me really if I'm absolutely honest, which is why I rang broads control.

I think I have to retire to Norfolk and get in the slower pace of life to really appreciate the place. Now it's a retreat soon it will be my home.

call me Martin 

tt.

• Like 1

Is it just me but I'm not particularly comfortable with this recently used ( more than once ) phrase " oxygen thief " I find it a little offensive , everyone knows fishermen haven't a leg to stand on when refusing the right to moor on a BA mooring , the place to make complaints is obviously BA rather than the hire yard as BA would most likely inform them anyway , indicating you will crush their nets is a treat and likely to get an adverse reaction .

Pretty sure we all know how Mooring's on private pub property work by now and iv no idea how private moorings came up but it is completely different to public BA Mooring's where no one has the right to hold a mooring with the exception of BA .

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

Is it just me but I'm not particularly comfortable with this recently used ( more than once ) phrase " oxygen thief " I find it a little offensive ,

Mod hat off

I personally find that as offensive as a lot of words that are edited by the site software Ricardo.

Charlie

Personally I don't mind it I find that a lot less offensive than the true word with substitute letters in it. If it's the decision not to use it that's fine with me but it is a little pc as it sums up the feeling at the time without recourse to disgusting hurtful foul language which was all going at huge volume in my direction including the C word. 

As for nets  he left them deliberately and I had no choice the wind was pushing me in which is what I told him. He spent more time collecting His huge stash of empty beer cans which took an inordinate amount of time swearing at me the whole time, in the full hearing of my daughter and my wife and my sixteen yr old son. After that my feeling is that particular epithet fits the bill.

apologies if you don't agree

M

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

What I find slightly odd about the original post is that there is not really any other public mooring within a few minutes walking distance of the quay!! Which leads to think of one or two scenerios.

1. The man walked back to his house and got his boat and then moored it on the public quay, which would seem a little odd, and totally out of order.

2. Perhaps there is a prequel to this story? The couple could have been waiting patiently for a mooring when they spot someone departing and head for the space, only for some opportunistic boat coming along to get there first. They then go and moor somewhere temporarily, for instance The Southern Comfort mooring to confront the boat that had nicked their space. On approaching the mooring the other boat sees them and departs. Hubby then goes and retrieves the boat etc.

With regards to pub moorings it is simple. Their land, their rules. If I want to eat at a particular restaurant or pub I will ring ahead and book a table. If I'm not that fussed I may just turn up on the off chance of getting a table. The same applies to moorings. If I particularly want to eat at that establishment, then I will ring ahead and book a mooring and table, otherwise I will just take a chance, but it is a bit ridiculous to book a table and not a mooring, only to find you may not be able to use the table if you cannot get a mooring.

The rest is down to how well the pub manages it's moorings. To me it makes good business sense to find out when your customer is arriving and reserve the mooring from that time onwards, allowing the use of the mooring for other short stay customers.  But then I think about places like The Reedham Ferry and how often do you walk in there late lunchtime and find no where to sit because all the tables are reserved for that evening? Again reserving tables from a certain time onwards makes sense to me.

9 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Personally I don't mind it I find that a lot less offensive than the true word with substitute letters in it. If it's the decision not to use it that's fine with me but it is a little pc as it sums up the feeling at the time without recourse to disgusting hurtful foul language which was all going at huge volume in my direction including the C word. 

As for nets  he left them deliberately and I had no choice the wind was pushing me in which is what I told him. He spent more time collecting His huge stash of empty beer cans which took an inordinate amount of time swearing at me the whole time, in the full hearing of my daughter and my wife and my sixteen yr old son. After that my feeling is that particular epithet fits the bill.

M

To be totally honest I would have rang  Broads beat if things were that bad as what we are talking about is a public order offence if I'm not  mistaken , fisherman's attitude towards boaters have already lost them the right to bank side fish in season at several locations .

49 minutes ago, Malanka said:

M

Not on using the C word, keep it in December I say.

5 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Is it just me but I'm not particularly comfortable with this recently used ( more than once ) phrase " oxygen thief " I find it a little offensive ,

Oops,  Thats my favourite least offensive description of somebody who winds me up,  usually in a shopping emporium.  Matron says I can't use my other favourites. :default_coat:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Malanka said:

M

If he threatened you with Christmas no wonder you were cross!

CarolE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do have some, but not too much sympathy with anglers, even the foul mouthed ones. Taking up ten foot of bank space, is that such a crime? Angling is a major earner for the Broads. Perhaps a greater understanding of angling by the various authorities wouldn't go amiss. Mind you, perhaps anglers could alleviate the problem by fishing from their boats more often rather than cluttering up the banks. Anglers pay a licence fee to the Environment Agency who in turn are responsible for miles of river bank. Got to say that I manage to fish without upsetting too many boaters but then I am both an angler and a boater. Perhaps we all need to look at the problem from the other side of the fence so to speak.

• Like 1

J.M  There are plenty of fishing platforms that are the reserve of anglers only.  No craft are permitted to berth against a fishing platform whatsoever.  Boat moorings are primarily for boats, (Funny old thing that eh?)  anglers are welcome but must give priority to boats as is stated on the signs.  Surely they can read?  I'm in both camps of course but would never berth 'B.A' against a fishing platform, nor would I stand any nonsense from any angler refusing to move to allow us to berth either!

Griff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can't argue with any of that, Charlie, but maybe we are regretfully growing less tolerant towards our fellow users of the Broads. 

10 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Is it just me but I'm not particularly comfortable with this recently used ( more than once ) phrase " oxygen thief " I find it a little offensive . . . . . . . . . . . 

Can't argue with that either. 

• Thanks 1

There are fewer and fewer derogatory terms we are allowed to use owing to political correctness. Personally I have nothing against the term "Oxygen thief" nor indeed "low life" "pond life" or most of the other terms used for the scoundrels within our society. I'm not now even sure I can call them "scoundrels".

Logically speaking, if we follow this argument to it's illogical extreme, it will one day become offensive to even say we don't like them. This of course is madness. No. If a term does not contain profanities, or the other recognised prejudices (orientation religion etc) then For my mind I think leeway ought to be shown to allow strength of feeling to be expressed. To refer to one person as a scallywag and another as an oxygen thief indicates the level of irritation felt by the poster.

All the above is only my opinion. 

• Like 8

I often arrive back at my mooring to find a fisherman, usually I explain that I wish to moor and I will wander up river, turn around and come back, giving them plenty of time to move. The usual response is why don't you moor further down, I now have to explain, whilst trying to be polite that I pay a lot of money per year to leave my boat where their tackle is. They either don't grasp the notion of a reserved mooring or can't be bothered to move. 

I do get a bit fed up of clearing the litter they leave to, usually empty sardine tins ! 

My wife disapproves of my  favourite derogative term for such people, it contains 2 t's and not much else, always makes me feel better to use it under my breath though.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

There are fewer and fewer derogatory terms we are allowed to use owing to political correctness. Personally I have nothing against the term "Oxygen thief" nor indeed "low life" "pond life" or most of the other terms used for the scoundrels within our society. I'm not now even sure I can call them "scoundrels".

Logically speaking, if we follow this argument to it's illogical extreme, it will one day become offensive to even say we don't like them. This of course is madness. No. If a term does not contain profanities, or the other recognised prejudices (orientation religion etc) then For my mind I think leeway ought to be shown to allow strength of feeling to be expressed. To refer to one person as a scallywag and another as an oxygen thief indicates the level of irritation felt by the poster.

All the above is only my opinion. 

That makes sense but let's look at it another way. For over ten years I worked with two avid Jehovah's Witnesses. JWs don't swear, strictly taboo, both of my work friends took to using alternative words or phrases which proved increasingly tedious to yours truly. One day I pointed out that saying 'oh sugar' instead of 'oh ****' was in spirit still swearing. I thought nothing more about until both stopped their cursing. Seems that they had brought up my comments at their congregation where they were deemed to have been swearing without using profanities thus they had to stop that practice.

Extreme, maybe, but perhaps there is a lesson to be learned there, other than in exceptional cases do we really need to insult and resort to offensive comments? Once in a blue moon most of us let rip but please, let's keep it to a minimal level, as we have in the past.

• Like 1