Reserving A Mooring!

addicted

So many words and phrases that used to be common place are now considered offensive. Some deservedly so others not so.

What surprises me is how people take offense so readily instead of just ignoring the offender.

Strangely it seems to be the younger generation who take offense most readily, I feel sorry for them, I guess they will have to identify themselves as some minority group so they can claim discrimination.

Sadly just another sign that society is heading for a nanny state where it's always somebody else's fault.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

So "oxygen thief" is a derogatory term, but it's not a swear word. Which got me wondering? A genuine question, what is the correct PC term, to describe someone swilling beer, swearing, and being aggressive to you? It strikes me that when someone acts in a disrespectful way towards you, they lose the right to be treated with respect in return. 

Anyone who knows me will quickly realise I am no stranger to profanity. No stranger before but one result of my head trauma is my ability to slot in an infinite number of expletives into any given spoken sentence. The English language is something I find both fascinating and glorious. The removal of profanity lessens and dilutes that language. However, I am aware of various social dictates that 'moderate' my language. At the root of that moderation are the Victorian social reformers whose attempts to 'clean' the English language verge on hypocrisy. 

I can remember my profound shock whilst studying Chaucer at 'A Level' when asked by my prim and proper lady teacher to explain a passage from The Miller's Tale.

As clerkes ben ful subtile and ful queynte,
And prively he caughte hire by the queynte,
And seyde, “Ywis, but if ich have my wille,
For deerne love of thee, lemman, I spille.”

"Come along boy, I'm sure you have used this word on numerous occasions. It's ..."
To have that dear sweet lady shout the 'C' word at me at the top of her voice and explain the pun and play on words was something that I found highly embarrassing, but also highly informative, in more ways than one.

I think it was Helen or possibly Polly that highlighted the use of language and dialect with Shakespeare. Old Bill was certainly not shy of the uses of language, coarse or otherwise. 'Bedswerver' is one of my favourite Shakespearian descriptors. Back to those Victorian hypocrites. Remove words from the language and society will find alternatives. While the Victorians removed the baser more common profanities from the English language they were rather adept at finding new descriptors which, to be honest, sound far worse to the modern ear, and provide people like me with endless hours of purile amusement. Charles Booth described the poor of London in categories such as 'vicious semi-criminal'. The word 'zounderkite' crops up in reference to those of a 'crapulous' nature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have always liked the art of insult as practiced by the vikings, to whom it was an art form to insult somebody, the more inventive the better.

A friend of mine would greet you with the comment ( and I will have to star some words here)

May your ear holes turn to a**eholes and s**t all down the side of your head.

this greeting would be flung at a shout from halfway down the high street as soon as he saw you, causing many a head to turn.

i am sure we could come up with some new descriptive terms for some of these scamps such as we are describing, without resorting to swearwords or overtly derogatory terms, especially for those of a certain temperament that dangle their worms in the waters of life.

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, KingfishersTime said:

What I find slightly odd about the original post is that there is not really any other public mooring within a few minutes walking distance of the quay!! Which leads to think of one or two scenerios.

1. The man walked back to his house and got his boat and then moored it on the public quay, which would seem a little odd, and totally out of order.

2. Perhaps there is a prequel to this story? The couple could have been waiting patiently for a mooring when they spot someone departing and head for the space, only for some opportunistic boat coming along to get there first. They then go and moor somewhere temporarily, for instance The Southern Comfort mooring to confront the boat that had nicked their space. On approaching the mooring the other boat sees them and departs. Hubby then goes and retrieves the boat etc.

With regards to pub moorings it is simple. Their land, their rules. If I want to eat at a particular restaurant or pub I will ring ahead and book a table. If I'm not that fussed I may just turn up on the off chance of getting a table. The same applies to moorings. If I particularly want to eat at that establishment, then I will ring ahead and book a mooring and table, otherwise I will just take a chance, but it is a bit ridiculous to book a table and not a mooring, only to find you may not be able to use the table if you cannot get a mooring.

The rest is down to how well the pub manages it's moorings. To me it makes good business sense to find out when your customer is arriving and reserve the mooring from that time onwards, allowing the use of the mooring for other short stay customers.  But then I think about places like The Reedham Ferry and how often do you walk in there late lunchtime and find no where to sit because all the tables are reserved for that evening? Again reserving tables from a certain time onwards makes sense to me.

They were moored by the the slipway used by dinghies, but were slightly too long for the mooring but at least they were moored. Having watched the whole scenario I felt what they did  was out of order.

Carole

One of the funniest insult incidents I remember came from my wife, we were out walking the day after my dad died, we got a little lost and took a short cut down a farmers drive, just as the farmers wife drove up, she was not happy and started ranting in a totally over the top fashion. I was in no mood to argue and so ignored her and walked off, she told my wife in no uncertain terms how rude I was. My wife stood listening until she had finished and replied " I apologise for my husbands behaviour, its just that he doesn't tolerate fools"

Think she may just have lived with me to long !

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I had a parent ranting at me in the school entrance hall because I had pulled her daughter up for bullying. 

'I want an apology' she fumed.

To the dismay of some colleagues hovering behind her 'in case' I said,  'I am sorry Mrs X that our standards of behaviour are too high for you' 

'Right, good' she muttered and stomped off. End of episode, but I have often wondered how far she got before working out what I had actually said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A colleague moved to another school and hated it, especially the whiff of the sanctimonious that hovered over the establishment. How happy he was when a project to learn the old names of the towns roads was summarily abandoned when he announced that a road in the red light district was formerly known as Grope C... Lane. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Polleee!!

Groping Christmas, whatever next?

For a couple of years I had digs in an uber posh part of Bosham in Sussex. According to the few remaining indigenous locals it had been known for generations as Stink Finger Lane. I doubt if any of the second home owners knew that, one of which was a well known 1960's actor, Oliver Reed, who used to roam the village in his pyjamas, the flies of which were not always as secure as they might have been!  

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lady trying to stop me Mooring on Horning staithe yesterday morning she was most insistant that I couldn't Moor up as they were bringing their boat up from the Swan 

I did tell her that It is first come first served and that I had my disabled father with me who needed to get off

With that she asked me how long I was going to moored for!

I didn't realise you could reserve moorings in this way,mind you I've only been coming to the Broads for 40 years!

:default_dunce:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I notice a bit about Lip reading as Griff will tell I've got a Nick Name called (The Lip Reader) Due to the fact I'm totally Deaf. I do find it very annoying when watching Football matches on Sky TV players Swearing when you have got Children in the ground watch with their Parents . It goes the same way when Sailing Yachts some times don't Lip Read on Direction we need to go as to helping us Boaters getting round them. I do get a few Rude sighs I don't like either as to People can be so disrespectful including Disability's that annoys me at no end.

Andrew Cook       

• Thanks 1