Horning Foot Ferry Appeal

NorfolkNog

There is a ferry at Burgh St Peter, a Len Funnel enterprise, so perhaps he might help, after all he has that super dooper meter to pay for!

I have mixed feelings about the ferry appeal though, it's seemingly a commercial enterprise so really it should be able to stand on its own legs. Broken engine, oars is the answer. 

Will I contribute? If Mr Scraggs should wish to contribute to my lifestyle then maybe, just maybe I will contribute to his.

• Like 6

Hmmm not enough info on the page for my liking, I would happily support this kind of thing if its a non profit just providing a service type affair(if I won the euromillions I would fund allsorts of things like this on the broads). I might even do it if it is a commercial venture but I would like to make an informed choice...

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

I am sorry to be a bit of a crusty old cynic - no, I'm not sorry actually - but I don't see the point of this.

Horning ferry had a purpose, as a "horse ferry" much used by local agriculture but what is the purpose of a foot ferry now? It's a long walk to Woodbastwick, and shorter if you start from Salhouse. Unless the idea is to take ramblers and cyclists for a walk down Cockshoot dyke?

In which case, surely, this service should be provided free of charge in accordance with the National Park vision, which says that it should all be "opened up" for these people, totally free, while toll payers continue to be "touched" for a fiver just to moor up for lunch on the bank. After all we are talking about the same landowner here, on the same piece of bank.

The ferry on Thorpe Green didn't last very long, even though it was taking visitors to the BA's own Wonderful Whitlingham Gravel Pits.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, marshman said:

As you point out, its a commercial enterprise and it should stand on its own! Has nothing to do with the pub , nor Len Funnell. Why on earth should Len contribute - he is not in the habit of distributing largesse to all and sundry and why should he?

That was a ment to be a bit tounge in cheek forgot the emogie sorry .

The ferry is an individual enterprise nothing to do with the pub, obviously not making enough money.

Fred

• Like 1

Commercial operation to make a profit for the owners. If it was a charity on a not-for-profit basis run by trustees I would put my hand in my pocket.

I am a businessman. No-one gives me money - I have to earn it!!

:default_sailing:

I'm gonna crowd fund my replacement engine :default_biggrin: why not at least I'm not business , to me the whole thing doesn't meet the criteria for what crowd funding was set up for , clearly the old ferry that was on a trailer in the carpark had a dodgy engine , after all its only been in service less than a yr and hardly done any work .

I'm sorry but to me this is abuse of a giving site and shouldn't be allowed :default_hiding: .

From Face Book, I'm Dave Scragg. A part time music teacher from Norfolk. I've just had the greatest school holiday this year running the Horning Ferry. A combination of Jolly holidaymakers, wonderful local characters and the wildlife has made this a Ball ! I want to keep it going with your Help!

So does this mean that it will only run during school holidays and then primarily for the enjoyment of Mr Scragg? What sympathy I did have is fast evaporating! I agree with Ricardo.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

From Face Book, I'm Dave Scragg. A part time music teacher from Norfolk. I've just had the greatest school holiday this year running the Horning Ferry. A combination of Jolly holidaymakers, wonderful local characters and the wildlife has made this a Ball ! I want to keep it going with your Help!

So does this mean that it will only run during school holidays and then primarily for the enjoyment of Mr Scragg? What sympathy I did have is fast evaporating! I agree with Ricardo.

There's a pretty vocal FB group in horning iv no doubt at all that they have very mixed feelings on this , they loved the ferry but this is no way to run it , iv big problems with crowd funding as in how can you be sure the money goes to the project  there are no accounts ? , to boast like that on social media is beyond stupid and kills of all sympathy instantly , no doubt a ferry is a reasonable idea but its incredibly difficult to make it break even never mind get to a stage where it can sustain the resolving of problems such as replacement engines .

Pages such as " just giving " etc were never created for such as this , and I'd go as far as to say that this is pure exploration of such sites obviously in my opinion only .

18 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Parking is ferry marine,the foot ferry is the pub.

The pub has nothing to do with the ferry service any more. It is run by David Scragg who started it again in July using the same vessel that I was using in 2010 which is the same vessel that Woods Dyke Boatyard used for a time. 

16 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I am sorry to be a bit of a crusty old cynic - no, I'm not sorry actually - but I don't see the point of this.

Horning ferry had a purpose, as a "horse ferry" much used by local agriculture but what is the purpose of a foot ferry now? It's a long walk to Woodbastwick, and shorter if you start from Salhouse. Unless the idea is to take ramblers and cyclists for a walk down Cockshoot dyke?

In which case, surely, this service should be provided free of charge in accordance with the National Park vision, which says that it should all be "opened up" for these people, totally free, while toll payers continue to be "touched" for a fiver just to moor up for lunch on the bank. After all we are talking about the same landowner here, on the same piece of bank.

The ferry on Thorpe Green didn't last very long, even though it was taking visitors to the BA's own Wonderful Whitlingham Gravel Pits.

Vaughan, i used to run the ferry here and ceased when the Broads Authority changed the rules on operation. It was never profitable, but it game me a reason to have another vessel on the yard that I could use for breakdowns and so on. 

The rules changed which increased the cost of running to a point that was totally unsustainable. The BA sent out a consultation document which made it clear that the ferry would be more trouble than it was worth to me and I duly completed it, informing it that the ferry would cease if these measures were to be introduced. They came in and the service ceased. The BA then realised that it needed to tweak it's new rules which is did one year after introducing them, as clearly, the rules has caused considerable issues. It made a big thing telling me that concessions had been made, but I had had a year of not running the ferry and, quite frankly, it had become clear to me that my business was being hampered by it. so we didn't restart. That was in about 2010. A couple of ill-fated attempts were made by the pub to get it going again (I even sold the boat to the pub for the purpose of this) but it wasn't until July this year that a service began again. 

During the time of the Sustainable Development Grant (a scheme run by the BA), services like this could apply for funding. Indeed, there's another ill-fated ferry service in Thorpe that was awarded a large sum of money from this scheme. But those days have gone. I wish to point out that I never considered applying for public funding for the vessel, which under my time had that engine and gearbox rebuilt at considerable cost. It could hardly have done more than 2000 hours since then as most of the time it has been unused. 

Back to the BA and it is fair to say that there is no money available to projects like this and few concessions. The service appears popular from what I can ascertain and it would be a terrible shame to lose it again. If people wish to fund it to the tune of a few quid, well, there's no real harm in that, is there?

And again, why should any landowner allow you damaging access to his land for free, no matter how wealthy he is? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Andy, if folk want to donate then so be it. That said my personal feeling is that by using crowd funding to raise money it does raise questions about that service. As a stand alone project I don't suppose that this ferry will provide a living but as an add on to another income source then it should be useful, even if it only provides beer money. However, using charity funding is questionable, in my opinion..

• Like 4

It may be he wants to  do it as he enjoys being on the river and meeting people, has it actually been said anywhere he needs to provide an income for himself, if its only a case of helping to cover costs then isnt that what charity is for, how many people donate to other organisations "charities" with operating costs! 

I take it none of you heard about the crowdfunding page for those hideous parents raising ferrel children who felt they didnt need to educate them and expected "crowd funding" to cover the cost of them buying/moving to an island and living naturally............thats what I would call misuse.

1 hour ago, dnks34 said:

It may be he wants to  do it as he enjoys being on the river and meeting people, has it actually been said anywhere he needs to provide an income for himself, if its only a case of helping to cover costs then isnt that what charity is for, how many people donate to other organisations "charities" with operating costs! 

I take it none of you heard about the crowdfunding page for those hideous parents raising ferrel children who felt they didnt need to educate them and expected "crowd funding" to cover the cost of them buying/moving to an island and living naturally............thats what I would call misuse.

Actually I have heard of said parents and no I didn't contribute , thing is this world owe no one a living or a lifestyle and its high time people realise that n get off their backsides and make it work without relying on others , now no doubt that those closely connect to this operation will contribute , that's up to them but remember this a certain person connected to the Jenner's basin situation did exactly the same , now where did all that money go ? Now it might have gone to the source it was ment for but how does anyone know ?