Reedham Electric Points

From information derived from elsewhere it appears the reedham is going to be a no go regarding electric hook ups until next season , now I don't remember this happening before and aparantly the council have covered the posts presumably in the same way that the council cover those in Norwich .

It seams to me that this is a don't give a dam about others approach and totally out of order , for example didn't BA pay for the upgrades this yr not to mention the original posts themselves , so how can the council who haven't provided this facility then have power to remove it , I'm aware that they own most of the quay and BA lease it but this is really ridiculous behaviour especially in winter time .

Earlier this yr a survey was done involving all councils and BA regarding facilities and yet they choose to remove a main facility , if BA own out right these posts and are responsible for maintenance and repairs which I believe is the case ,  then to me the council have no right what so ever to remove that facility and shame on BA for allowing them to do so considering that its highly likely that toll payers will at some point be picking up the tab for something that others are taking away from them .

I'm speechless , how ridiculous is this......... they are removing or rendering useless a facility that has nothing to do with them ?????

By what means are they rendering the posts not working..... cover , padlock  ??????

As Cilla would say........ what's it all about

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, imtamping2 said:

I'm speechless , how ridiculous is this......... they are removing or rendering useless a facility that has nothing to do with them ?????

By what means are they rendering the posts not working..... cover , padlock  ??????

As Cilla would say........ what's it all about

From what I can tell is they are covered in just the same ways other councils do at Yarmouth and Norwich and I'm quite sure they will be padlocked as are the gates at Norwich , the fishermen just climb the railings for entry make a right old mess and then good old BA come in a week early to tidy the site up really for re opening at boaters cost , tidying up is tge councils job in my book not BA's .

51 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Ricardo, is this something that you could discuss with the BA? You are, after all, afloat all year round so may have need of the electric at Reedham. Until someone gets BA’s view on it, we don’t really have the full facts - IMO anyway.

Exactly that my intention but I only found out tonight at 5.30pm and be sides the member's here need of they are cruising to be aware that something that should be there isn't , but I'd like to know on who's authority has a facility has been taken away from toll payers that either partly or possibly whole fund the posts especially in winter , it doesn't much affect me personally but it may well affect others , I wouldn't be surprised of BA just pass the buck on this but the posts belong to them so  that's not gonna work with me , there's absolutely no reason I can see as yo why they shouldn't remain operational and this obviously includes Yarmouth and Norwich which incidentally are 2 completely different councils so that why in off to BA  first as they are the common denominator in all 3 cases .

Absolutely agree Ricardo, I'm heading off to brundall tomorrow for another week afloat and Reedham was a possible destination, at this time of year electric posts are something some people look for when planning routes/destinations. To have them suddenly taken away for no apparent reason is disgraceful.

I took a couple of photos but having checked them unfortunately it's not possible to see the posts. We moored further down towards the Bridge. From memory the post(s) are near the rangers hut. We were the only occupied boat on the moorings. 

However there was a large dredger moored up at the Quay so it's possible work is going on. It's a shame as if I'd known it was an issue, I could have checked.

Incidentally the hoses are removed at Reedham in winter but the water is still usually connected. 

• Thanks 1

Ok, I'm just spouting an uninformed opinion here but after a little thought I do wonder if there is some acceptable reason for this action.  As I  read it, Ricardo will be asking a few questions of the BA and I hope the council.

I await his views on the reactions of these people with great interest, and feel it best to hold back on the 'outrage' response until we have more information.

'Go for it' Ricardo, many people are right behind you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Both the yachts stations are leased by the BA for part of the year and then revert back to the respective councils over the Winter and are effectively closed, so turning of the electric just discourages people who may be tempted to moor at a closed facility.

Reedham is different in that I believe it is owned all year round by the Broadland District council and manned by a BA ranger during the Summer season for safety reasons? I don't think it closes like the yacht stations. I believe the BA stop manning the quay at the end of October, yet the power stayed on beyond that until  just recently? Since both BDC and EA are completing work along that stretch in the near future it might just be that they are being protected and also to discourage people mooring whilst the work is taking place.

Another thought has occurred to me. Do the BA man the quay for the season, or do they lease it for the Summer season? If during the Winter the quay reverts back to the BDC, then surely the BA 24hr restriction no longer applies? Meaning it would be the BDC's responsibility to police over stayers. Turning off the electricity makes this less attractive. I think Pyes Mill was recently leased to the BA for a peppercorn rent so that the BA 24hr byelaw could be applied to deal with over stayers and I also remember about three years ago the power going off in Loddon over Winter to discourage over stayers.

From the point of view of the people of Reedham, I would have thought they would much prefer the post to be on and quiet heating being provided to any moorers, than the running of engines, heaters, or even worse the smell of log burners hanging in the air. Whilst I quite like the smell of a wood fire, a walk along the River Lea near Hackney at this time of year reminds you of London at the start of the twentieth century. The cold damp air just makes all the smoke linger in the air.

"Dear All 

Urgent Boating News - Reedham Quay Moorings 

Please note that these moorings revert back to the responsibility of Broadland District Council during the winter season but will open again ready for the summer season in March 2018. 

The electricity supply to the charging points also had to be turned off due to the frequency of the water over topping at the mooring and constantly tripping out the charging points. 

Kind Regards 

Laura Milner

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Tel: 01603 756035 

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk"

Better late than never.

The comment regarding why the electricity is turned off beggars belief however; if any electric posts are fit for purpose they should be designed or located where they are not subject to flooding (flooding of course can be during or out of season as we all well know).

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingfishersTime said:

From the point of view of the people of Reedham, I would have thought they would much prefer the post to be on and quiet heating being provided to any moorers, than the running of engines, heaters, or even worse the smell of log burners hanging in the air. Whilst I quite like the smell of a wood fire, a walk along the River Lea near Hackney at this time of year reminds you of London at the start of the twentieth century. The cold damp air just makes all the smoke linger in the air.

And of cause smoke from houses never reaches ground level , cold damp air affects all smoke and not just from boats , and yet in summer BBQ smoke gets blown all over other  peoples boats that have windows open and that's acceptable ? Staying warm in winter is essential running diesel boiler's day in day out for months on end will result in a worn out boiler very quickly the vast majority are not designed for that level of use as stated by the manufacture's .

With regards to the closing of this facility the electric posts are provided for boats nothing else and costs are recovered from I believe the navigation budget which all toll pays contribute to .

1 minute ago, ranworthbreeze said:

"Dear All 

Urgent Boating News - Reedham Quay Moorings 

Please note that these moorings revert back to the responsibility of Broadland District Council during the winter season but will open again ready for the summer season in March 2018. 

The electricity supply to the charging points also had to be turned off due to the frequency of the water over topping at the mooring and constantly tripping out the charging points. 

Kind Regards 

Laura Milner

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Tel: 01603 756035 

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk"

Better late than never.

The comment regarding why the electricity is turned off beggars belief however; if any electric posts are fit for purpose they should be designed or located where they are not subject to flooding (flooding of course can be during or out of season as we all well know).

Regards

Alan

Never has there been better evidence that BA read forums ! And that's a pathetic excuse to me iv seen posts working and never tripped out at whitlingham stood in 16" of water , however if this is the reason then why hasn't it been address and only this year been turned off its flooded in the past much more than has In the last few yrs, incidentally where's the urgent boating news for Norwich and Yarmouth both suffer the same removal of a facility paid for by others ! .

It stinks of we can't be bothered to fo the job right and picking the easiest way out and on less these posts are sealed the water will get In cover on or not .

At least I know who to call now at BA and I most certainly am right now !!!! 

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Ricardo, the yacht stations are closed over Winter. you are not meant to moor there. What would it matter if the posts were left turned on, as you wouldn't be able to use them anyway. My guess is that when the Summer lease finishes the BA have two choices. 1. Remove everything they have installed till next year. 2. Remove what is easy to remove and then close and protect the rest till next year.

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

I thought so!

So they are not fit for purpose then and need building up , floods happen in summer too , I personally don't believe this is the reason at all as its flooded before and nothing has ever been done in the past , so the 22k upgrade thus year was for something that can only be used part of the yr .incidentally the last time reedham flooded was this yr not too long ago n the posts survived that as it was in season , I can see that there could be a problem if the works on the flood wall contain the water and make it so the post is In deeper water but then you .I've the bloody post it deserves protecting from flooding as much as anything else , what you dont do is invent an excuse that BA have done and do no work to combat the problem ..this is another example of I'm tucked up in my little office nice and warm n I don't give a dam about anyone else .

Now iv contacted BA and they are due to get back to me at some point I live in hope .

8 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

On the other hand, if the posts were on the town side of the wall and thus protected from flooding, then the boat's cable connecting to them would become a tripping hazard on the quay.

Boats dont have to be plugged in to cause a trip hazard mooring lines are more than enough :default_biggrin:

So if over topping the quay can cause the trip to blow what state is this equipment going to be in by April. There must be connections that are not properly sealed and will degrade with water ingress. These posts were designed for caravan parks and not specifically for moorings. Since they were installed they have now been modified ( badly) to take the new card meters. These are likely to be further modified because of difficulty using the lower meter. More expense. That 3% increase isn't going to go far.

Colin:default_winko:

• Like 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

I think it's fair to say that in most places poor mooring causes a trip hazard. Ropes left lying around and not tidied up, however the mooring posts are generally at the water's edge and ropes shouldn't present a trip hazard. One place that springs to mind where the electric posts are the wrong side of the footpath is Beccles yacht station and they have covered channels to lay the cable in. Can see all kinds of planning issues and cost associated with trying to do that at Reedham to place the electric posts townside of the flood wall.

16 minutes ago, KingfishersTime said:

I think it's fair to say that in most places poor mooring causes a trip hazard. Ropes left lying around and not tidied up, however the mooring posts are generally at the water's edge and ropes shouldn't present a trip hazard. One place that springs to mind where the electric posts are the wrong side of the footpath is Beccles yacht station and they have covered channels to lay the cable in. Can see all kinds of planning issues and cost associated with trying to do that at Reedham to place the electric posts townside of the flood wall.

Hello Kingfisher,

Yes Beccles Yacht station does have the channels for cables to help with trip hazards however this is a place that always floods that many of the forum members can relate to.

Regards

Alan