Reedham Electric Points

1 hour ago, Koolwabbit said:

Is it just me or is this forum becoming like the others ? Bicker bicker bicker !

Nigel :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

I'm pretty sure you would be annoyed if yiu wanted to use the facility and can't , its not going to affect me personally but it may well affect others how about a bit of thinking about others for a change ? 

5 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I'm beginning to wonder. I've had a brilliant week and never been near an electric post! No complaints from me :default_biggrin:

There won't be if you don't need to plug in but if you had done then what would you still not complain and attempt to find out why this facility is being withdrawn ? There are hire boats out in winter as well as private craft all of them one way or another are paying into this facility of electric posts and let's not forget why they were installed in the first place and fully electric are on the system in winter .

As iv already said this is highly unlikely to affect me but it could well affect others .

I'm with Ricardo on this. I used to be out a lot in winter on "Glenmore" and, in the cold, depended quite a lot on the electric posts because my webasto was woefully small for the size of boat. Again, as Ricardo has said, there were very high water levels occasionally when I was out and this never ever had any effect on the availability of the posts.

As for calling this bickering, surely its discussing the pros and cons of a power supply in winter? I also think there is some credence in the comment about the "new" posts being of a design more suited to caravan sites.

If a discussion like this is now viewed as bickering, then, this site becomes no more than a sterile bulletin board!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Koolwabbit said:

Is it just me or is this forum becoming like the others ? Bicker bicker bicker !

Of course it is. Certain posters have moved from the other forum, changed names, but still use any excuse to have a go at anybody and everybody but especially the BA. Not just this thread I must add.:default_sailing:  It is getting a little wearing and I admit I dont read this forum as much as I did because of it. Perhaps I should just give it up for a while so I can have peace over Christtmas! :default_blush:

Happy New Year everyone!:default_drinks:

Personally I think the conversation is reasonable and I hope my opinion is a practical one.

1/. Electricity and water indeed do not mix.

2/. Shore power points are not the same thing as those in a camp site, by reason of (1) above.

3/. It has been mentioned several times on other threads that installing shore power is very expensive, for the above reasons. The trip in the box is to protect your boat from a short circuit in case your own installation is not up to it, or if you drop the plug end in the river.

4/. The installation must have its own protection further ashore, or else the flood water might trip the power supply to the whole village. Including the pub!

5/. And here's the controversial one! I contend that if they hadn't done all that deep dyke digging on the marshes of the Waveney and lower Bure in the early 80s, then places such as Reedham, St Olaves and Stokesby wouldn't need flood walls anyway!

6/. Happy Christmas! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Alone1 said:

Of course it is. Certain posters have moved from the other forum, changed names, but still use any excuse to have a go at anybody and everybody but especially the BA. Not just this thread I must add.:default_sailing:  It is getting a little wearing and I admit I dont read this forum as much as I did because of it. Perhaps I should just give it up for a while so I can have peace over Christtmas! :default_blush:

Happy New Year everyone!:default_drinks:

Alone 1,,, 2 things you obviously don't know , 1 is I wanted to remain under the same name but was unable to but at least it's  close to my actual name !! 

2 , obviously you are not aware of the reason I moved forums it was not by choice as some would have you believe , I'm pretty sure you were involving in the last thread I contributed to there I'm sure you can see who broke TOS and it was not me .

Now personally I'm sick of posts like this after all it was posted for the benefit of the members here and iv done the leg work as in talking to BA , its hardly in the spirit of the forum to attack others who are trying to keep members informed and find out the state of play , take a look at the place that I got this information from , over 200 views n no comment's that says a heck of a lot to me as in quite a few people don't care as it doesn't hinder them where as it might hinder others and that my friend is what this thread is about ie facilities for all !!!! 

I don't know much about electric posts only that if people need them and they pay their tolls then they should have them. I do know a lot about this forum and a lot about our  members, to say we bicker is totally uncalled for, without topics like this how will we learn and help others deal with issues that arise. I don't care who came here from another place or that they changed their user names etc but I do care about keeping it friendly and within the terms of service. So come on people keep it sweet, life is far too short

Howard, I would have thought Mrs Nog spent all your 2ps on the pushers lol

Have a lovely weekend everyone

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I'm pretty sure you were involving in the last thread I contributed to there I'm sure you can see who broke TOS and it was not me .

I have no idea what you are on about with this statement or what thread you refer to.

My comments were a response to the post about bickering and not aimed at anyone in particualr so I dont know why you have taken offence.

However it has re-inforced my feelings about the way this forum is going and if one of the mods could pm me with instructions on how to remove myself from the forum then that is what I shall do. I dont seem to be able to work out how for myself or I would have gone by now.

I hope that satisfies your indignance Ricardo or whoever you may be.

Thanks to other members for an interesting few years but I shall retire from this forum before it descends further.

Happy Christamas to all and keep on sailing!:default_sailing:

4 hours ago, Koolwabbit said:

Alone1 said:

Of course it is. Certain posters have moved from the other forum, changed names, but still use any excuse to have a go at anybody and everybody but especially the BA. Not just this thread I must add.:default_sailing:  It is getting a little wearing and I admit I dont read this forum as much as I did because of it.

Koolwabbit and Alone1.

You can always choose not to read threads which annoy you, that is democracy. 

I absolutely agree with Gracie's comments above:

I do know a lot about this forum and a lot about our  members, to say we bicker is totally uncalled for, without topics like this how will we learn and help others deal with issues that arise. I don't care who came here from another place or that they changed their user names etc but I do care about keeping it friendly and within the terms of service. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Koolwabbit said:

Honestly who here on this forum is QUALIFIED to answer this question ? If it was me querying this subject I would just phone B.A. and ask.

Nigel

Er wakey wakey like read what iv said in every post and later this evening I will post BA's view because I did make that call just as I said I would , my sincere apologies for being busy today but that life and I will get to that post later , as for bickering , this is nothing to do with bickering its all to do with finding out the state of play and then letting other who might well be affected know exactly why this situation has come about .

8 minutes ago, Koolwabbit said:

Honestly who here on this forum is QUALIFIED to answer this question ? If it was me querying this subject I would just phone B.A. and ask.

Nigel

I know of a couple of members have expert knowledgeable of this subject.

Ricardo has called BA,

The answer given by BA is a typical half answer favoured by quangos, 

No doubt considerable expense was incurred to install them.  Sadly the design is inadequate for the location and with a bit more forethought they could have been suitable for year round use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is no doubt that the BA has done and does do some first class work on the Broads. However, to install a power supply for boats in a manner that does not allow all year round use in a manner that is entirely safe, and tripping trip switches suggests that it is not, is of no great credit to the Authority.

As for bickering, as a label 'discussion' would be more to the point, is that not common to all forums? Without it a forum would be sterile.

On this particular topic there is no denial from the BA, the posts have been turned off. Not something that is likely to effect me but if I were paying for a service that I required, that is what my toll is for, then I would expect it to work. Okay, okay, so some hoses are turned off when it's likely to freeze, but in this instance the BA has admitted that these trip switches trip during floods. Floods do also happen in the summer, ergo the installation at Reedham is not fit for purpose and who's fault is that?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is this where we’re talking about?
http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/yacht-stations
The BA says Reedham Quay is closed through the winter so why wouldn’t they turn the power off?
They could be accused of unsafe practices if they say the quay is closed but leave power on thereby encouraging people to use it couldn’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Is this where we’re talking about?
http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/yacht-stations
The BA says Reedham Quay is closed through the winter so why wouldn’t they turn the power off?
They could be accused of unsafe practices if they say the quay is closed but leave power on thereby encouraging people to use it couldn’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello John,

Yes Reedham Quay is what the original OP was talking about.

The Norwich and Yarmouth yacht stations are effectively closed for four months, the quay at Reedham has a BA operative that works out of a small shed on the quay, the quay has mooring that also belongs to the pub and at one end is Royalls boat yard, for the quay to be closed is somewhat a nonsense likewise from a personal point of view I think that Yarmouth should be kept open and because of fast running tide through Yarmouth I believe it should be a necessity if only for the safety aspect.

Regards

Alan  

• Like 3