Hire Craft Moorings At Horning

troutman62

there are no visitor moorings in the main basin but we are sorting some out on the woods dyke side. 

we do try and keep the service quay clear but if you want a pump out or diesel  it may be best to ring as due to the moorings being exceptionally good value we are pretty much full and we may need to make space. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C.Ricko said:

there are no visitor moorings in the main basin but we are sorting some out on the woods dyke side. 

we do try and keep the service quay clear but if you want a pump out or diesel  it may be best to ring as due to the moorings being exceptionally good value we are pretty much full and we may need to make space. 

Hello Clive,

I didn't know that you also had some moorings on Wood's Dyke, where are these in relation to Boulters?

Regards

Alan

Exactly right Mark, but it is virtually impossible to get a list of these , even from the BA!!

I believe that the two Clive refers to are just a bit further up Woods dyke past Boulters but these are not free BA 24hr moorings, but just moorings - which you will have to pay for - Clive will confirm that I guess!

If you are on a hire boat just pop into Ferry Marina - they will normally allow hire boats to stern moor on their frontage. Equally Ferry lease the moorings opposite the Ferry  Inn  itself and you can moor there - but you have to pay at that one. Given the cost of replacing quay heading, its a fact of life that the "free" moorings are gradually disappearing!!

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Exactly right Mark, but it is virtually impossible to get a list of these , even from the BA!!

I believe that the two Clive refers to are just a bit further up Woods dyke past Boulters but these are not free BA 24hr moorings, but just moorings - which you will have to pay for - Clive will confirm that I guess!

If you are on a hire boat just pop into Ferry Marina - they will normally allow hire boats to stern moor on their frontage. Equally Ferry lease the moorings opposite the Ferry  Inn  itself and you can moor there - but you have to pay at that one. Given the cost of replacing quay heading, its a fact of life that the "free" moorings are gradually disappearing!!

thats correct, cheers. 

7 hours ago, marshman said:

If you are on a hire boat just pop into Ferry Marina - they will normally allow hire boats to stern moor on their frontage. 

That's true and I've moored there by myself, but given that Ferry have boats starting on several days of the week and it's a popular spot, availability isn't that great. 

When we hired from them last year Ferry Marina were very accommodating to boats from other yards. They allowed them to moor overnight but asked them to be away by 8am ready for their own boats to return. Needless to say, two out of three of the boats we saw there, didn't do as asked and were still moored gone 8 o'clock when Ferry's own boats were looking for somewhere to go.

They allow you to hook up to their electric overnight but did remove the water hose.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

When we hired from them last year Ferry Marina were very accommodating to boats from other yards. They allowed them to moor overnight but asked them to be away by 8am ready for their own boats to return. Needless to say, two out of three of the boats we saw there, didn't do as asked and were still moored gone 8 o'clock when Ferry's own boats were looking for somewhere to go.

They allow you to hook up to their electric overnight but did remove the water hose.

So when that privilege is taken away people will wonder why.      Why oh why do people always kick the .rse out of things?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Agree with you Hylander. The yard staff couldn't have been clearer and were very polite to the other hirers, even helping them moor up and going out of their way to be accommodating. As far as I know you don't have to pay anything either if you hook up to their electric. Great yard and my first choice to go back to at some point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Agree with you Hylander. The yard staff couldn't have been clearer and were very polite to the other hirers, even helping them moor up and going out of their way to be accommodating. As far as I know you don't have to pay anything either if you hook up to their electric. Great yard and my first choice to go back to at some point.

Ferry are also very accommodating to private craft looking to moor overnight providing they have plenty of room. To be fair Richardsons are also very accommodating of private craft at Stalham as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Ferry are also very accommodating to private craft looking to moor overnight providing they have plenty of room. To be fair Richardsons are also very accommodating of private craft at Stalham as well.

Really? I have never tried mooring at ferry as I was led to believe they didn't allow private craft, very helpful if they do.

Richardson's have always been excellent for us, always found plenty of room and the staff have always been very friendly 

Just now, Jayfire said:

Really? I have never tried mooring at ferry as I was led to believe they didn't allow private craft, very helpful if they do.

Richardson's have always been excellent for us, always found plenty of room and the staff have always been very friendly 

I should clarify. I've never tried mooring in the actual marina, but just out the front, or alongside in the dyke, and only after asking first. Never been refused yet. I've also been allowed to use the visitor moorings at Brooms as well, but normally after buying fuel, or having a pump out, and again always asking first.

The only hire yard that I can think of that 100 percent refuses is NBD. Herbert Woods are ok for a short stay, but do charge for overnight.